Forums Latest Members

Noisy, "wobbly" rotor, and stutter-y hand on a new Speedmaster (c.3330)

1. aladinodebert Jul 5, 2019

Hello folks. I'm a new Omega owner with a shiny new Speedmaster (attached) and I've noticed two things I'm somewhat surprised and concerned about. First off, I've noticed its rotor is quite, I'm not sure how to put it, "noticeable". When I move my arm around, I feel it moving quite a lot, almost making the whole watch shake. I can literally feel it on my wrist. I can hear it as well if I put it close to my ear. Now, I've never owned an Omega before (in this case with the calibre 3330) so I'm not sure if this is a normal behavior. I've also never noticed anything like it on any other mechanical watch.

Secondly, I've noticed that the chrono hand is not smooth... if you look at it closely, it "stutters" at times, taking 2-3 tics, holding for a infinitesimal moment, and then jumping. I know it's an automatic and it's not supposed to be smooth per-se, but I've never seen a watch that does this. I would expect a watch of this price range to not show this kinds of behavior. (link to a short video I took so you can see what I mean:
    )

I will caveat this by saying that the watch keeps astounding time, easily the most accurate of all my automatic watches.

I took it to a dealer and they essentially said "it's normal". I've read some posts in which some folks talked about similar issues, but not quite the same as mine.

Thoughts? Is it worth sending it to the dealer I bought it from to have it serviced? Thanks for any advice.

IMG_8649.jpg IMG_8668.jpg
    R Neville likes this.
  2. aladinodebert Jul 5, 2019

Btw, the actual model is 326.30.40.50.06.001

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 5, 2019

Google "7750 wobble" and you will see that the rotor making noise, spinning while on your wrist, etc. is normal. Note that the Cal. 3330 is based on the ETA 7750.

The chronograph seconds recording hand is moving a little more erratically than it should IMO. There is a friction spring that keeps this from stuttering, but in this watch (and 78750's in general) it's not something that gets adjusted like it would in an older design as this one is made of thin spring steel and a plastic insert that actually provides the friction. In a new watch I would not expect this to be worn out, so my guess is that the depth of engagement between the oscillating pinion and the chronograph wheel is not set correctly, and needs an adjustment. Simple task for any competent watchmaker, but unless you get it done by Omega it would void the warranty taking it to someone local.

Cheers, Al

Spacefruit, GrouchoM, drakbr and 3 others like this.
  4. aladinodebert Jul 5, 2019

Thank you! Fabulous piece of information. Yeah, I would send it back to the dealer to have it serviced then. Cheers.

drakbr likes this.
  5. drakbr Jun 29, 2023

Hello Mate. I know this is an old post but have Omega fixed the stuttering issue for you? Any update would be helpful.
    Best regards

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 29, 2023

Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 14.49.51.png

VipinLJ likes this.
  7. drakbr Jun 30, 2023

Haha haven't noticed that.

Anyways, I have the 38mm speedmaster and is exhibiting the same thing. Just bought it a week ago. I don't want it serviced if this is normal with this 3330 movement.

Cheers

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 30, 2023

From an expert watchmaker (my bold/underline).

drakbr likes this.
  9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 30, 2023

I would also add, you don't mention if the watch you bought a week ago was new from a boteek or an AD, or a used watch.

drakbr and p4ul like this.
  10. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Jun 30, 2023

FIFY

DrmexicoII, drakbr and JimInOz like this.
  11. drakbr Jun 30, 2023

Bought new from Omega store in Kuwait. I'll take your advise and bring it to the Omega workshop.

Thanks a lot.

P.S: I'm new to mechanical watches so forgive my lack of knowledge about the terms especially the post you mentioned from Archer.

watchyouwant likes this.
  12. R Neville Jul 10, 2023

Hi, I'm glad I found this as I'm not a new Omega owner but I'm a new Speedmaster owner. Specifically this model in the panda and I'd noticed exactly the same thing. Thought I'd somehow bought a faulty, or god forbid, fake watch.
    I've a Seamaster Commanders watch and you can hear a slight rattle if it's quiet and you put it right next to your ear but it's nothing like this. I picked my watch up after a couple of days and give it a shake and it literally moved in my fingers which I thought was weird and hence, here I am.
    Also, I find that when you do pick it up after a while, it takes a bit to kick in compared to the Seamaster and a couple of other automatics I have. Just thought it was worth mentioning.
    Anyway, I love this watch and even more so today now that I know it's not flawed and it's just a part of its character!
    Thanks for asking the question!