Forums Latest Members
  1. Horologist May 16, 2018

Greetings Gentlemen,

After the wonderful assistance from this forum on locating the correct genuine crystal, I was able to install it as soon as it arrived, without problems following all the advice behind crystal installation. Removing the movement to remove the armored crystal of a 165.-001 to replace the crystal was a success!!!! One out of one so far!!! Thanks to this forum!!

The problem showed when I replaced the movement, I correctly installed the stem, repositioned the clamps and tightened the screws with same clamps in the same part of the watch that they came from. Closed the case and the rotor started to feel as if it was rubbing against something like metal to metal sliding, Not a sound that was there before.!!! I opened it up to see if the rotor was wobbling or rubbing against anything on the movement but could not see anything out of the ordinary. I thought it was rubbing against the case back but the noise was still occurring without the back. I removed one of the clamps leaving only one and noise was gone!!!!!! Replaced clamp and screw again and noise has returned. I don't think there is anything wrong with the timepiece, Can anyone tell me what is wrong with me???? I will take no offence if I am called an idiot!!!! LOL!!!!

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 16, 2018

Honestly, it's like asking us to diagnose that rattle in @dsio's engine bay (he's 1600 kilometres away from me).

You could try two things.

1. Take some hi res pics of the movement in the case.

or

2. Take your watch to a watchmaker.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 17, 2018

My engine bay is an M54B30 which may be old enough to legally drink but is impeccably maintained, there are no rattles here sir, merely a silky smooth running inline six made by the gods of Bavaria

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 17, 2018

PS: Take it to your watchmaker

5. ChrisN May 17, 2018

Sounds like the rotor is now hitting the case clamp screw as when you remove it with the case back off, the noise goes away. Could be: you have not fitted the movement back in the case correctly so the screw is sitting proud; you have the case clamp on upside down or in the wrong place; you damaged the rotor/bearing when getting the movement out; you damaged the case when fitting the crystal (although in this case, I'd expect you to struggle with fitting the case back).

The only ones that you stand a chance of addressing are the first two. Check the movement is seated correctly in the case. Check you have the case clamp engaged in its slot in the case - for this watch, it doesn't sit on the top of the ring you see in the case, it fits into a slot in the case so that the movement can't move from front to back. Post a high res picture of your installation showing each clamp and it may be clear.

Still, I'd take it to a watchmaker to diagnose and resolve the issue, if I were you.

Regards, Chris

6. Canuck May 17, 2018

If you’ve gibbled your watch, don’t expect any sympathy from a watchmaker. Probably the smart move would have been to not dabble in an area where you have no experience. You’re not an idiot (your words), but I think you used very poor judgement, tinkering with your watch. Folks on this forum may not be able to help you out of your mess.

7. Horologist May 17, 2018

Hi Chris,
    Thank you !!!!The type of professional answer I I was expecting!, Just a small correction regarding to what I meant is that without one of the case clamps installed the noise went away.! The case closed well but the noise was very apparent with both clamps. However you were right on target about the movement not sitting level in the case because the noise has gone away and the rotor winds smoothly after I loosened the right clamp and levelled it differently or perhaps I fluked it. The clamps just touch the sides of the case holding it into place. This is how I bought it, so either the wrong case clamps were fitted by the previous owner or there is some damage or wear there which does not take the case clamps correctly. The mid case is plated and I noticed previous assaults done there. I tried to take macro photos to post here but my camera just doesn't pick it up. I have pulled out many omega movements out of their cases and they all went back together really well. I checked the rotor post and the small riveted plate and the cog under he rotor. All clear! Thanks again!!!

Thanks, I wasn't expecting sympathy but some feedback from anyone who might have had a similar situation!!! I have removed movements to replace the rotor posts and even reverser wheels and know my limitations of what not to risk! You are right that nobody should tinker with items they are not familiar with and perhaps the real problem why I could not assess the issue is because some previous owner has already done the tinkering, which I take full responsibility for not having bought the seller instead of the watch! But one lives and learns!