Forums Latest Members

No Time To Die (2020, 2021??)

1. eldiano84 Jul 20, 2020

Ever since covid offset everything, seeing this movie shift from April, to November of this year, now as of today they were talks of pushing this movie now for summer of 2021, will it be better for MGM to release this straight for VOD at this rate? Given how trolls world tour made 100 million in vod in a week than the first movie made in 5 months and just thinking how stubborn MGM is wanting to keep pushing this movie more to the right for an unknown film market and probably lose like 30-50 million that they can easily re coup if they release the film already. I mean don’t get me wrong I’m all for going to the theaters but I am just thinking this movie should had come out in April right about August of this year technically the movie should had been out in Blu ray, 4k and itunes for example, now we have to wait even longer to see what happens in Daniel Craig’s final Bond film... I mean I can wait, but I am just curious!!!

I’m just surprised Omega hasn’t reissued more No time to die limited edition watches because of this at this rate.

2. mr_smith Jul 20, 2020

I read something about honoring contracts with theaters as part of the decision-making process to move the release date. Something like it can only go to video / VOD after 90 days in theaters... and with theaters shut...

I also read that some of the movies that did go to VOD, did so going against this contract. Though they wound up being profitable, the distributors essentially cut the theaters out. It gets to be a trickier situation when there are numerous distributors - for example, distributor A for North America and distributor B for the rest of the world. Distributor B may not be bound by the same obligation to theaters so what if they decide to release the movie before distributor A? Technically they could do it but it would probably put some pressure on distributor A to release in their zone... which would mean cutting out the theaters. Aside from all of this, I've been wondering if the longer it's pushed back the more likely it will be that it's pirated/leaked. That would be really bad for everyone.

I'm not an expert though, this is just some of what I've read. I'm hoping they come to a decision that's fair to all parties. I'm not a frequent theater-goer but I like to see some of the grander-scale movies on the big screen at least once and I don't want to see theaters killed by movies being released to VOD. I can wait, like you, but I'm also eager to see it!

3. Maganator Jul 20, 2020

I am as keen to see it as the next man but I think that it is important that cinemas are not cut out.

We need to get people out spending money in the economy (in a safe way) and if we want cinemas to not go to the wall we need to support them.

4. eldiano84 Jul 20, 2020

To add on top all this also theaters won’t be packed to the brim anymore, I’m pretty sure we will be social distanced, maybe two three rows making it impossible to break even on the first weekend to say the least, i mean unless they make drive ins, i just feel that they should just give in, i mean the entertainment industry is completely shattered and just geared towards in home now... we will see!!

5. OmegaRody Aug 3, 2020

Thats true hope theaters are not cut out because at least every 2 to 3 months I like to go to the movies.