Forums Latest Members

No such things as a free watch....

1. watchos Sep 6, 2017

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 6, 2017

Fascinating read, something I've been aware of for some time but great to see it analysed and laid out in such detail. I liked the bit about Daniel Wellington.

I think I'll have to buy one now :D.

watchos likes this.
  3. M'Bob Sep 6, 2017

That's one hell of an impressive piece of investigative journalism.

trackpad and noelekal like this.
  4. Rman Sep 6, 2017

When I lived in SF I would marvel every time I went to the dump at the installations set up by Recology.

This piece is almost chilling.

Kmart and noelekal like this.
  5. dialstatic Sep 7, 2017

Great piece.

"Maybe this explains what’s so galling to people about the Folsom & Co. not-really-scam: It simply lays bare the categorical deception at the heart of all branding and retail."

Agreed. The Folsom business model is no more (or less) a scam than Daniel Wellington is. It's just more on the nose, and uses products that are below even their buyers' misguided expectations.

Edited Sep 8, 2017
    ConElPueblo likes this.
  6. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Sep 7, 2017

“There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.”

― John Ruskin

Kmart, Wryfox, noelekal and 5 others like this.
  7. sjg22 Sep 7, 2017

Part of me admires the gumption.

If you receive something free (even after paying $7 for shipping), hard to really complain about it, regardless if it arrives broken.

I bet they rake in cash and get very few complaints.

8. Timmert Sep 7, 2017

Awesome piece of investigation!

9. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Sep 7, 2017

Great reading, thanks for the link.

10. BenBagbag Sep 7, 2017

Totally need a tl;dr for this.

11. Euxinus Sep 7, 2017

Several companies exist that claim to give watches away for free and overcharge for shipping. The cost of shipping is low but still 5 times or more what you can get the same watch for from alibaba and other sources. We are talking about $2 watches here.

BenBagbag and watchos like this.
  12. spiralkladd Sep 7, 2017

Definitely interesting. I wonder if the fake copies of DW watches produced in China are as good as the originals.

13. khanmu Sep 7, 2017

Fascinating article, there has always been a bit of over romanticising/embellishing with luxury items (do astronauts still wear Speedies? Does wearing a Rolex make Morgan Freeman a better actor?)... but the internet makes it far easier to sell the dream and separate the sheeple from their money...

14. Rodmar Sep 7, 2017

I can attest to seeing these tactics just about everwhere.

Right now on Facebook I see quite often gloves, and tactical gear given away for free, just pay shipping. I decided to test this "free" theory, and added some items to my cart. Shipping for gloves that I know can be shipped for $3, and cost 3-5$ to make, they charge $20 per item to ship.

Nice little profit of around $12 per item, and since people think it's such a cool deal, they sell thousands instead of sitting on inventory that would never sell if it were priced differently. Free isn't free, and quality isn't free.

15. Wryfox Sep 8, 2017

Bottom line: capitalism isn't fair....caveat emptor.

We have a new trick in tv advertising field now where for years sellers would advertise a product for 19.99 and then "wait, there's more" offer a second one for free. We are so used to these ads that the new ones are so deceptive (though not illegal). Now they offer one for 19.99 and say you can have a second one! In small voice and letters "for separate fee". Sounds like the classic two for one deal but no.

If you'd like an idea of the profit involved in these products, I'm reminded of an interview with Ron Popeil, the king of tv advertising for 50yrs. He was talking about his chicken rotisserie product ....$139.95 price breaks down as follows: 10% is product cost($13.99), 80% marketing, 10% profit. He also said he actually lost money on this product to tune of $20m because it was made so cheaply the temp controller would fail, and the oven would stay on and catch fire. Lawsuits cost him dearly on that one as several homes burned down.

Rodmar likes this.
  16. Rodmar Sep 8, 2017

Wow 20m, shoulda spent a little more on testing and accounted for that in the price!

17. Shailor Sep 8, 2017

And in the meantime you've given these outfits your personal information, emails, addresses, etc, which is then sold to others.