Forums Latest Members

No reserve Ebay auction - Have you ever pulled out because....

1. Faz Dec 19, 2016

...you felt your item wouldn't achieve the desired price?

I never put a reserve price because I think it motivates people to get involved in the bidding process.I usually achieve my "desired" price or better but I was wondering if anybody here has ever pulled out by fear that your item wouldn't get to your desired price?

Cheers,

2. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Dec 19, 2016

Sale wise I would not put a reserve let the market dictate the selling price. On bidding on the buyer side.
    I wait until to auction is almost over I place a bid for the maximum I am willing to pay. If I win I win. I look at it is you can't lose something you do not have. I move on and look for another piece.

3. Maganator Dec 19, 2016

Most of the things that I have sold on eBay have gone up drastically in the last few seconds of the auction.

With eBay you just have to take things on the chin - sometimes you get more than you wanted, sometimes less. But when I 'need' to get a certain amount for something then I simply put a BIN on the listing.

Edward53 likes this.
  4. semper_shells Dec 19, 2016

I've listed quite a few items and the ones with no reserve usually seem to do better than I expected. I think certain types of merchandise and their associated buyers are the determining buyer. For example, whenever I would sell sneakers I would do a reserve and they usually would do pretty well. But whenever I sold sports memorabilia listing with no reserve always got me more than I would have put it at reserve.

5. b-16707 Dec 19, 2016

I almost always put a high(er) BIN price only, no auctions. Consequently, these listings take a long time to get sold but I dont mind waiting 6 months to 1 year for a sale to happen. Since ebay regularly gives away 500 (or more) free listings - it used to not be cost effective to keep a listing up forever but now it is.

with Ebay sniping programs, many people bid at the last 1-3 seconds.

6. Edward53 Dec 19, 2016

I've never pulled an auction for that but it so happens that I've just won a nice little chronograph, poorly described and illustrated, for the first (low) bid and am waiting to hear from the seller before I pay for it. I thought I'd have heard from them by now and am starting to wonder if this will end up as one of those auctions where the seller mysteriously loses the item, their baby son has conveniently broken it, etc.

ETA: Thirty minutes later and he has just sent me the invoice! :)

Edited Dec 19, 2016
  7. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Dec 19, 2016

Never heard of that. Are you a business seller or so?

8. WatchVaultNYC Dec 19, 2016

You can't end a listing within 24 hours of ending. Anything before that for any reason is fair game, per the rules. I've pulled some auctions before, particularly when I know it's going to be a low-traffic period on the last day, like for example this coming Christmas weekend. Otherwise I just leave them be.

9. b-16707 Dec 19, 2016

nope just a regular 'ol joe selling junk in the house. But upon reading my comment, i should clarify. Free to list during a certain amount of time, but you still have to pay ending fees. Like right now my coupon section is showing 500 free fixed price listings for 7 days. Usually its 50 free. See what deals you have going on under "all selling" on the left bar.

And for what its worth, i rate ebays UX/UI is on the level of http://www.lingscars.com/

10. BobXX Dec 19, 2016

Here's a pro tip for selling on eBay: If your item is worth more than $2,500, you should open a store.

It costs $25/month to have a basic store account, but it can be cancelled or resumed at any time. In return, you only have to pay a 9% final value fee instead of 10%, and it's capped at $250.

So if you sell a $4,000 watch, you only owe eBay $250 rather than $400, which is a substantial savings.