Forums Latest Members

Nivada Antartic divers monoblock dilema

1. T5AUS Nov 3, 2018

Hi guys, just wondering if any on here have come across this variant of the Nivada monoblock divers watch dial. I can only find about two images on line and they both show the dial with Nivada at the top and underneath it automatic. On the bottom above 3 they have Antarctic whereas mine just shows automatic !? Apart from this it all seems to check out and looks pretty right. (apart from the wrong crown) I am just wondering if this is a lemon or did perhaps earlier versions only have that configuration with no Antarctic on the dial. Would greatly appreciate any opinions and photo's if poss, just need to clarify before I pull the trigger .
    Thanks
    Phil
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

bubba48 likes this.
  2. Dan S Nov 3, 2018

Like you, my gut is telling me that the dial is legit - the logo and printing look good. Most likely it is just a variant, but I certainly can't rule out the possibility that it is a legit dial transplanted into a different reference. So I will leave a bread-crumb for @Tony C., who is an aficionado of Nivada Antarctic models.

Edited Nov 4, 2018
    T5AUS and time flies like this.
  3. T5AUS Nov 4, 2018

Thanks Dan, yes I did think a possible transplant but couldn't find any other Nivada dials of that style on any other Nivada watches, but then I probably missed some.

4. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Nov 4, 2018

I haven't yet posted this to https://nivadanirvana.blogspot.com/ but I do have an image of something very similar, though the hands are significantly different. I believe this watch featured in a Watches of Knightsbridge auction - perhaps if you scour that site you'll find out more? Good luck - I think it's a fine looking Nivada.
    AntBlack1cropped.jpg

T5AUS likes this.
  5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 4, 2018

Wish I could help, but these variations are not as familiar to me as the earlier, and more traditional Nivada divers.

On a broader note, though, I will say that I have seen some anomalous dial variations in the Antarctic model line. I own, for example, a rare 18k Antarctic chronometer in near-mint condition, and yet it reads "Aquamatic" on the dial, rather than Antarctic. The distinctive case back confirms that it was part of the latter model line, and I suspect that is was an early version that overlapped with another line.

T5AUS likes this.
  6. T5AUS Nov 4, 2018

Thanks Tony & Davy, great input and I will live with this dial anomally and hopefully one day will come across more similar examples. I note the dial on your photo Davy also has red minute plots, yes, this is going to be interesting exercise.
    It has a fabulously fast high beat movement, hardly any recoil on the second hand. I have yet to work out how to lift the bezel, it's recesed into the block, unlike most divers bezels which one can just flick off with a blade to remove, this one is going to need a special tool, I will show it to my watch maker tomorrow as I have yet to see the movement.
    I also need to find a bigger crown, that little shit is irritating me on such a fine watch
    A couple of better images...
    fullsizeoutput_f51.jpeg fullsizeoutput_f52.jpeg

Dan S and Tony C. like this.