Forums Latest Members
  1. Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Dec 2, 2014

I normally keep my mouth shut when it comes to Omega, as I don't know enough about the brand to add anything of real value...BUT, I was lucky enough to be at this dinner last night in Melb that even an Omega-novice like me found fascinating.

http://timeandtidewatches.com/exclusive-event-omega-timetides-night-omega-firsts-melbourne

Petros brought out 12 pieces from the Omega Museum- he is the perfect ambassador...proud of the brand, with lots of passion...but feels no need to "sell"
    [​IMG]

There are a couple of extra posts that will be added in the next couple of weeks with more info on the watches above- my guess is many of you already know exactly how special these are...

Cheers

dc

SpeedyPhill, Trev, Waynepjr and 6 others like this.
  2. grumio Dec 2, 2014

I was lucky enough to also attend this dinner last night. As a long time vintage Omega fan, it was an amazing opportunity to handle some pieces that you wouldn't normally see, well, outside of a museum.

All pieces were presented and introduced by the very knowledgable and charming Petros Protopapas, manager of the Omega museum. Apparently he's working on a followup to the big black 'Omega Bible', which I'm sure will be something to look forwards to.

So for my first picture in my first post on this particular forum I'll kick off with a pretty special shot of the Omega trinity - 2913 + 2914 + 2915.
    IMG_3374.JPG

Or how about the first Speedmaster modified by George Daniels with a prototype coaxial escapement.
    IMG_3388.JPG

Or perhaps one of the 1947 wrist tourbillons.
    IMG_3286.JPG

Tourbillon movement. Unusual to see Côtes de Genève finishing on an Omega.
    IMG_3302.JPG

Constellation.
    FullSizeRender.jpg

Another wrist shot of the museum's 2915.
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg

And Petro's personal Louis Brandt perpetual.
    IMG_3408.JPG

With great thanks to all at Time and Tide Watches and Omega Australia for making this wonderful evening possible.

grumio

Waynepjr, tamura, lando and 5 others like this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 2, 2014

Petros is a legend, I was lucky enough to meet him over at the Speedy Tuesday event and he is definitely a very passionate and superb ambassador for the brand as is Alain from the Archive.

I also doubt anyone has managed to rock the bowtie and blazer combination quite as successfully as Petros has, can't wait to see his follow up to AJTT.

4. grumio Dec 2, 2014

Agree. A great ambassador. Very knowledgable, very erudite, and a nice guy. I'm also looking forwards to the new book.

I did stick around long enough to see the bow-tie disappear towards the end of the night...

5. Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Dec 2, 2014

It did!

6. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Dec 2, 2014

Is this a public event or by invitation only..
    Do we have these kind of events in us ?

7. TNTwatch Dec 2, 2014

Did you get any more info on the new book?

8. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 2, 2014

Petros is a very nice guy..... picture with him in Museum last year
    A38 with Omega museum manager and his staff.jpg

tamura, TNTwatch and JM251 like this.
  9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 2, 2014

That trinity and tourbillon are melting my heart ::love::

10. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 2, 2014

A shame though the 2913 has a redone bezel and a replaced crown.

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 2, 2014

The gems in that that shot are the tourbillon and the 2915. I think the '53RAF with a nice original TA dial is actually harder to locate than either the 2914 or the 2913.

12. Tom Dick and Harry Dec 2, 2014

Well, if anyone would bring something special to the table it would be Petros, some beautiful pieces there

13. Mothra Dec 2, 2014

Holy cow. There's some special watches.....

14. grumio Dec 2, 2014

Just a little. Apparently less of a picture book, and more telling of the stories of the company and the movements. And some corrections to a few long established, but incorrect 'truths', apparently.

He did discuss some new research for example on the NASA / Speedmaster story, which is a little different to the current versions.

Waynepjr and TNTwatch like this.
  15. grumio Dec 2, 2014

Wouldn't be Omega forums without someone pointing out the incorrect or non-original features on museum watches ;)

cristos71, repoman and TNTwatch like this.
  16. grumio Dec 2, 2014

Invite only. I understand around half the attendees were guests of Omega Australia, and the other half were guests of Time and Tide Watches.

Part of the purpose of the event was to unveil the new Speedmaster 'Grey Side of the Moon'. While I did see it, and it was nice, I'll be honest and admit I went straight past it and headed for the vintages. As I expect anyone on this forum would do...

17. jud Dec 2, 2014

Thanks for sharing. That would be a humbling a night.

18. Waynepjr Dec 2, 2014

Well, I have to say I see on that table one of my Grail watches, the Omega Marine. Small, yes but most of the watch back then were. But a unique concept to waterproof a watch to worked, really worked for the first time commercially. Not many around these days for sure.