Forums Latest Members
  1. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 18, 2012

2. Steve Jun 18, 2012

March 17.. That's my Birthday, is this a sign ????.:whistling:

3. ulackfocus Jun 18, 2012

Wow, wish I had the cash. I'd love to upgrade to a solid gold version.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 18, 2012

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 18, 2012

Just noticed an issue with the ebay watch - the dial has no luminous yet the hands to - that's a problem. So is the difference in shade between the date and day wheels. And I'm going to want side and back shots to determine it is indeed a mint original case or one that has been nicely refinished.

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 18, 2012

The entire watch has been refinish I'm afraid, the bezel certainly has been. Generally no hesitation to refinish on New Bond Street. Pretty watch though.

7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 19, 2012

I would tend to suspect a nice refinish though would like to see side and back pictures to ascertain this. Much more concerned about the mismatch of lumed hands and non-lumed dial. The seller though in the listing text appears pretty adamant that this is a "NOS" watch and if it is proven to be a refinished example then is one of the more blatant misrepresentations on ebay by a high feedback dealer (I know this is fairly commonplace and the whole of ebay is a caveat emptor site but I'd like to think there are still a few honest sellers out there).

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 19, 2012

I'm tempted to link the seller to his thread for a response on it, see what he says about it

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 19, 2012

better just to ask for the side views that Mike needs.

10. ulackfocus Jun 19, 2012

Go for it.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 19, 2012

Will do!

EDIT: Sent, he's actually a member here if I recall correctly too

12. ulackfocus Jun 19, 2012

Okay, then hopefully he'll comment. Too many dealers misuse terms like NOS. Maybe he doesn't know that parts have been replaced, maybe he replaced them with NOS parts. Lots of maybes for a watch that expensive.

13. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 19, 2012

Would be interested to see a response to the concerns raised in this thread. This is a very uncommon piece and really rare in near mint to mint condition. I have a special place in my collection for these cal. 751 seamasters in all case forms - gold, gold cap and stainless steel.

14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 19, 2012

Watchco just sold a few of those dials so there is ready, recent source for them. And watchco's dials were the non-luminous kind just like the one in the ebay listing. And of course if truly NOS then it should have the colorful protective gel-like covering on the caseback.

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 19, 2012

Well I guess it depends how you consider NOS. In the strictest sense the thing should have its original box, strap, and instruction manual if its truly a new watch that's old stock and never sold. If its made from NOS parts in the watchco sense, then yea we should have some goop on the back, and it probably shouldn't be sold as original. That PG Grand Lux with the strange bracelet and Stirling silver box is probably as close to NOS as one could honestly describe even though its not new.

Really that term NOS should be saved for individual parts and watches should be graded on the TZ scale with the status of refinishing on individual parts like the dial case etc explained in detail.

16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 19, 2012

Fairly explicit.

"This is an exceptional find. A beautiful 'new old stock' Omega Seamaster Chronometer day date - 1969 - with a very heavy solid 18ct gold case (the head of the watch weighs 50gms). It really is very rare to find a highgrade NOS vintage Omega - the watch really is very high quality in every respect. The watch is in mint original factory condition and is factory sealed, as the watch has never been opened. New old stock means a watch that has been stored through time - never sold or worn. Many NOS watches have storage wear but this one really is mint; as though made yesterday."

17. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 19, 2012

That's why I said if case is refinished and parts replaced, the seller's description is particularly egregious.

18. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 19, 2012

A friend just sent me pictures of the case back and the sides - clearly a refinished case without a doubt.

19. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 19, 2012

I will post the pics later since I can't access any of the photo sharing sites from my work pc - it's a minor miracle this forum wasn't blocked out!

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 19, 2012

If they ever do block this forum let us know... we have ways of ensuring that doesn't happen ;)