Forums Latest Members
  1. richardew Sep 11, 2016

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-VIN...691231?hash=item237198bf5f:g:MOAAAOSwvzRXzDCzPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Just a couple of more hours to go on this one. The price seems a bit low on this one. It has a nice case. I think it's a DON bezel but the D is gone. I just love the dial. The seller states he thinks it has been relumed because it no longer has any glow. I disagree. If you look at the plots, especially the corners, there are sharp corners on every single one. When the dials are relumed, the plots have rounded ends and no corners. Invariably the relume will either not cover the entire plot or have areas where it extends past the plots. The relume is never this uniform either. The hands match the dial and look too good! I can't see much age on the hands. There doesn't seem to be any paint missing from any of the hands which I find a bit worrysome, so maybe it is a relume. Can't look at a blow up of the movement which may be hiding flaws. Still, it's just over $8000. I think it's a bargain. I'd bid if I didn't have this one sitting around.
    6.10.13 _17003 back home.jpg 10.7.13 _66105.003 fisheye.jpg

Speedmasterfan88 and alam like this.
  2. Davidt Sep 11, 2016

Standard case of 'buy the seller'.

If he's stating it might have been relumed, it almost certainly has. I've never seen a tritium dial that would glow in a dark room after been exposed to a bright light, unless if had been redone.

Seller and lume notwithstanding, it's a handsone looking watch.

Spacefruit likes this.
  3. richardew Sep 11, 2016

He states he thinks it's a relume because it doesn't glow after a light charge.

4. Davidt Sep 11, 2016

Typo - I meant to say I've never seen a tritium dial that wouldn't glow in a dark room for a minute or so after exposure to a strong light source. Even though the tritium is dead, the pigment in the lume should still glow briefly.

If it doesnt glow at all, that would suggest it's been redone with non glowing compound.

richardew likes this.
  5. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Sep 11, 2016

I wonder why our friend Alex doesn't want you to be able to zoom in on the most important pic, the movement shot.

abrod520, Steve1haggart and richardew like this.
  6. LawBrk Sep 11, 2016

This one has been on the watch list, but due to the reputation this seller has on OF I'm hesitant. The last thing I want is my extract to say SEAMASTER. :whipped:

watchknut and Steve1haggart like this.
  7. thevespabandit Sep 11, 2016

a few words I never expect to see together 'cheap Ed White' lol :-p

ahsposo likes this.
  8. Steve1haggart Sep 11, 2016

If Alex has anything to do with the sale start a running . I looked at this watch several days age until a saw the sellers name ..body and swirve came to mind instantly.

9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 11, 2016

I recognise the work. It has been relumed. I don't think The seller would mention it if he didn't know as @Davidt3449 asserts.

The watch has been recently serviced, but no papers? Mmm.

The watch has been serviced but has Chrono creep? Mmm.

The seller's address is a stones throw from STS but he gets a 321 serviced elsewhere, so where else!?! Mmm.

And why?

His photo skills, which are not bad, suddenly desert him for the movement shot? Mmm.

The watch itself looks great, as @richardew says.

When the relume is done so well, it doesn't seem to affect value that much, weather or not we here in "Enthusiast Land" like it or not.

The case looks good. Apart from all the scratches on the back.

If the movement is good (enough, we know it needs a service) then this reference in this condition has been selling for more than the $8k it's at now 2 hrs to go.

The current underbidder has 57% activity with this seller.

The seller has a history of dishonest behaviour - and is genuinely baffled when called out on it and doesn't know his behaviour is wrong. In my 35 years of trading (not watches!) this is the most dangerous kind of person to deal with.

I am baffled by how many really quite interesting lots he has offered in the last six months.

My guess is this goes for around £8,000.

Edited Sep 11, 2016
    Tom Dick and fibonacci086 like this.
  10. Steve1haggart Sep 11, 2016

I wouldn't be surprised if one of his bogus eBay account doesn't start bidding this up at the last minute.

ATWG and Spacefruit like this.
  11. Steve1haggart Sep 11, 2016

Cool mr white by the way

12. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Sep 11, 2016

Life is rough man....

13. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Sep 11, 2016

I noticed a bid retraction on this so I thought I'd take a look and this is what I found.
    20 bid retractions in 6 months, just seemed bizarre to me...The retracted bid on this item was for £6,700 which they left for about 4 days before changing their mind.... Screenshot_2016-09-11-22-31-27.png

14. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 11, 2016

And now the lead bidder had a feedback of 3....

LawBrk likes this.
  15. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 11, 2016

And sold the 3 feedback bidder

16. cristos71 Sep 11, 2016

Most, if not all, of the time I make my own mind up on a watch and whether or not to bid on it/buy it based purely on the watch and my own knowledge when assessing it.

However this seller, who although he has sold many attractive watches it good condition has also sold many with dubious condition issues over the last few years, not to mention the games he played here on OF, has such a poor reputation and moreover is also such a blatant shiller of his own auctions that I wouldn´t bid on anything he has listed on Ebay as a matter of principle.

a***s (21) is one of his other accounts, I have seen it ``ìn action`` many times before.

17. smitty190373 Sep 11, 2016

I wonder if this thread hopefully kept some last minute buyers away ?? This forum is quite a powerful tool.

Dishonest sellers deserve to be outed!

18. Just Livin Sep 11, 2016

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=152229748638&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    There it is again on this recent item that just closed.

19. ATWG Sep 11, 2016

Happens on eBay all the time.