Forums Latest Members

Nice Cal. 370 on fleabay, seller told me dial is original, But....

1. tmw57 Mar 18, 2015

I've got me some doubts. But then all my focus these past two years has been military and vintage IWC.

I've really been neglecting these fantastic vintage Omega's and need to start getting back into them.

So, is this an original dial? I have doubts...

Thanks, and mods, if this is an improper post please accept my apologies...

Omega.JPG

Kringkily likes this.
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 18, 2015

Refinished and really poorly.

3. micampe Mar 18, 2015

I think they even mounted the 3 the wrong way up.

4. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Mar 18, 2015

The dial is poorly refinished. Look for example at the variability in the spacing between the chapter ring and the numerals/markers.

5. tmw57 Mar 18, 2015

Thank you all for such speedy and excellent replies. And yes, I didn't like the chapter ring/numeral spacing at all.

And yes the 3 does look sort of nuts, doesn't it?! And the mounting of the 12 looks awful as well.

I need to put my Omega hat back on and start reading and studying again. Such wonderful, high quality and unpretentious timepieces.

The only Omega's I've purchased in the last year have been military. A '53 Fat Arrow and nice WWW. Both unmolested and thoroughly enjoyable.

I really need to get back over here and spend more time with you guys..

thanks again,

Todd

Edited Mar 18, 2015
  6. John R Smith Mar 18, 2015

And the wrong hands . . . .

7. tmw57 Mar 18, 2015

Thanks John. That, I would not have known. The sheer variety of the vintage Omega's (IMHO) seems to make it quite a challenge to gain expertise.
    For a while I studied the older Connies and had a pretty good handle on them after reading a few forums and of course the online offerings of Desmond and Bill Sohne.

Recently I thought I'd like to get into Seamasters....talk about variety..wow! where do I even begin!?

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 18, 2015

Looks like the "3" was broken and the butcher who did the re-do took another broken piece and glued it in place, not bothering to match it at all.

Ugly,
    gatorcpa

9. tmw57 Mar 18, 2015

yeah gator..I kept looking at that and wondering if it was a weird style I hadn't seen.

And in case any of you have wondered if I feel somewhat embarrassed about calling this watch a "Nice Cal. 370...." the answer is a resounding yes!
    I really need to hang out with you Omega guys for a while to get a bit of schooling.