Forums Latest Members

Nice 37mm Gold Compur on chrono24

1. Florent Jan 8, 2018

2. rolokr Jan 8, 2018

Looks original to me, fonts look good !

3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 8, 2018

Looks great! A princely sum for a rare watch but appropriate.

4. Flatfoot Jan 8, 2018

That is a lovely watch, and looks like the real deal to me. The number fonts and the logo on the dial are very appealing.

Would the "Swiss Made" on the dial indicate it was destined for a UK/US/English speaking market from the factory?

5. Flatfoot Jan 8, 2018

I dug further into the photos of this watch on the site, and its a gem.

The seller has a really well prepared inventory of all watches, I might add.

6. Fost Jan 8, 2018

Simon is a member of this forum... If you want more information.
    @vintagecaliber

Flatfoot likes this.
  7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 8, 2018

If it were appropriate, you'd have bought it!

khmt2 and bgrisso like this.
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 8, 2018

I’m in a 12 step program now. ::facepalm1::

bgrisso likes this.
  9. bgrisso Jan 8, 2018

LOL, busted. Although I think it might be more that Larry is overstocked on GOLD chronos....

khmt2 and Dre like this.
  10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 8, 2018

but still hangin' around the liquor store, I see....

khmt2, watch3s, Dre and 2 others like this.
  11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 8, 2018

Seriously, does anyone have an example of a cal 287 in one of the four digit references? How about a dial with the gear wheel escutcheon in one of the four digit references?

Dre, Larry S, aap and 1 other person like this.
  12. billving Jan 8, 2018

There add does say also that it has been professionally repolished showing little to no traces of wear. It does look nice but I didn't try to compare it to others of the ref. Lou, are you thinking the dial or movement don't belong with the case?

13. ELV web Jan 8, 2018

I have not seen 287 so early. But the wheel on the dial looks possible timing wise (1937), although “Swiss made” sign on dial is odd given the case is HJ and was locally swiss (not fabrique en France etc.)

Edited Jan 8, 2018
  14. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 8, 2018

'zackly. Case earlier than movement dial-assembly. This number of case and movement-dial mismatches at the recent Bernardini sale jumped out at me. Lot of switching going on in Universal, I think.

khmt2 and ELV web like this.
  15. Dre Jan 8, 2018

“Swiss Made” seem to have been added to what used to be a nice and original dial.

16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 8, 2018

Why would anyone do that? Anyway...more reasons to be wary ....Too bad on the mismatched everything...I feel sorry for this watch.

17. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 8, 2018

I'm not ready to write this one off. In fact, I hope someone can prove me wrong.

18. Diabolik Jan 9, 2018

Screams put together to me. I would expect a 386 there not a 287.

Dial and font look great but I am pretty certain it is a dial that was printed for another house which was pretty common in those days.

I have never seen an early compur with "swiss made" and the logo at noon. The compur script is a little dodgy (the U looks like the money bucket, pour it in lads and kiss it goodbye).

In my view, what we have is probably a dial printed for another which would not have had a logo and was later restamped with UG logo and script ... a franken ? no as it is likely to have been a cliche that was used by UG. However, i would have preferred it in its original state ...

billving likes this.
  19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 9, 2018

Interesting. If I read this correctly ...a dial in production by a subcontractor that is stamped for UG at some point and a Cal 287 that should not be in a case with this serial number? Sounds like a supplement to Sala for the early years needs to be written.

Diabolik likes this.
  20. Dre Jan 9, 2018

The case is definitely an earlier one than the movement. But the dial itself, apart from the "Swiss Made" writing, is original IMO. The font is actually consistent from some UG from the same period, not the best quality from UG at the time but look alright to me. Regarding the square "u" on the word "Compur", is also correct. Below is my old Compur with Jeanneret case, ref 5166, with the same square "u".

File_000.jpeg

My opinion on the "Swiss Made" is that whoever put that on the dial, is not 100% sure on the originality of the dial. Maybe because they are unsure of the whole fonts of the dial, as well as the lack of Swiss on the bottom, and then they decided to add the "Swiss Made" in order to convince people that the dial is 100% original.

I have owned at least 4 UG Compur, and not one has Swiss on the bottom. UG is normally SWISS on the bottom as well, SWISS MADE for most Girard-Peregaux that are made by UG. Also, the Swiss" or "Swiss Made" always outside the scale on 6 o'clock.

Larry S, chronoboy64, micampe and 2 others like this.