Forums Latest Members
  1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ome...903283631?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item20ce7d7bafPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I quite like this one, the bracelet probably isn't Omega but appears period correct as a dealer option, the edge on the bezel is nice and sharp, doesn't look polished at all really, and the caseback is beautiful. Looks like an honest, genuine, well cared for heirloom piece.

The dial is the only downside, as there's some peeling and cracking, but I wonder if its just the coating that's coming off and it has the potential to be a really nice one underneath that.

$(KGrHqN,!osFCsB,2BGlBQ53NuVCiQ~~60_57.JPG $(KGrHqN,!lEFCfgD8glLBQ53N!hSo!~~60_57.JPG $(KGrHqN,!k8FC3oO3w1gBQ53N(59Kg~~60_57.JPG $(KGrHqJ,!lgFC2frsj(8BQ53NnowMg~~60_57.JPG $(KGrHqJ,!joFCg!tKIEEBQ53My)k,g~~60_57.JPG $T2eC16Z,!)QE9s3HFhqOBQ53NQCr7g~~60_57.JPG $T2eC16V,!)UE9s3wCPQLBQ53NeQZPg~~60_57.JPG $T2eC16J,!)UE9s3wBoDoBQ53NkSSf!~~60_57.JPG $T2eC16J,!)!E9s2fBWZDBQ53M5Oi6Q~~60_57.JPG

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

Shame about the dial on that one - I would say though to any prospective bidder to bid as though the dial can no longer be restored.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

Yea true, the starting money at $3k though is fair though still as you've probably got that much or more in gold if you include the bracelet.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

The crackling on the edges is one thing; that can be dealt with. The color spotting in the middle I'm not so sure. Hoi has done some of these, I'd like to here what he has to say. Regardless, I would not like to invest substantial funds just to take a risk.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

This would have been a job for Sonny Dewan. It's a shame he isn't doing this sort of work anymore. He told me that almost any solid gold dial can be restored, so long as the printing has not been damaged. It's just a matter of getting the right "secret sauce" to dissolve the original lacquer without removing the printing.

http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec//Seamaster_Conserve.pdf

I saw some of the dials Sonny restored and they were truly stunning.
    gatorcpa

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

And he's retired?

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

Clearly we need to find a new Colonel Sanders :\

kendrick likes this.
  8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

Yes he is AFAIK. But he's not cheap at least he wasn't. I think Cicindela (Steve) and Hoi as skilled amateurs will be able to work on these dials better than most. But cleaning dials is always a chancy thing - me personally I just use Rodico and don't mess with solvents.

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

No, Sonny is not retired. He found that he made a much better living as a dealer in rare watches. Also, the US government changed the classification of one of his ingredients to "hazardous material" and he could no longer legally purchase that item through the mail.

The labor involved in one these restorations was considerable. I used Sonny for several years for standard servicing of vintage watches after Des turned me on to him, until he left that part of the business. Always did great work at a reasonable price.

gatorcpa

10. ulackfocus Jan 5, 2013

Gator, can you see if Sonny is interested in parting with his stash of Longines dials? I talked with him a few times, and I know I've asked you this before, but if he's gone whole hog into rare watches he might be more interested in parting with them now. I'd love to see what he's got.

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 5, 2013

Call me closer to your visit and remind me. Haven't spoken with him in about three years, so I don't even know if he still has his shop anymore. Maybe I can arrange something, maybe not.
    gatorcpa

12. ulackfocus Jan 5, 2013

Cool! Thanks E.

13. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 6, 2013

And the secret of the special sauce dies with his change of careers? Or will he share, given that he has no more financial benefit from it?

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 6, 2013

Dial restoration was never a career for Sonny. Just part of being a watchmaker. The career change was going from watchmaking (at least for others) to watch dealing full time. I would never ask him about sharing. If he wanted to, he knows how to use the Internet.

gatorcpa

15. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 6, 2013

I'm not sure why you wouldn't. He evidently achieved something remarkable. We - the collecting community - are appreciative and grateful. He's no longer benefiting from his creation. What's the point of letting the brew fade back into the unknown?

Many of us on the forum are professionals. We regularly turn to media of professional exchange - journals, conferences, discussions with colleagues - to keep ourselves informed and effective. When we make an advance or achieve an insight, we tend to disseminate it. It benefits our professional standing, not to mention the people we serve. Might not a watchmaker see things similarly?

If I had a personal relationship with him, I might ask him if for no other reason than to let him know that his achievement is recognized and appreciated. Whether he chooses to share or not is up to him of course - but perhaps he might see some value in it.

16. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jan 6, 2013

A DeLuxe dial after being cleaned will loose it's shininess and looks quite dull like this one

Before

[​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

A restorer should know how to re apply a new coat of lacquer to make it shiny again like the original

[​IMG]

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 6, 2013

Do you do it yourself, or do you have a guy with a formula that works?

18. ulackfocus Jan 6, 2013

Hoi cleaned one with Windex if I recall correctly. Cleaning isn't the hard part - reapplying an even coat of lacquer is.

19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 6, 2013

Nailed it.

20. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 28, 2013

And what will happen if you don't put new coat anymore?