Forums Latest Members

Next watch - torn between Tudor BB & Autodromo Stradale

1. maxtor71 Jun 22, 2015

I've been dreaming about my next purchase, and this time I'm dead set on it not being an Omega (famous last words maybe :p). The Tudor Black Bay with the red bezel has always sung to me and when i've handled the watch, i've liked the looks, and the fit and finish. Frankly, I'm surprised Tudor doesn't ask for more money for it.

The challenge for me is I've always been a die hard Omega man, so I think I have 'brand change fright' ;). This being the case, I wanted to know what people's experiences have been with their Black Bay watches. This is one I would, ideally, like to swim (not dive) with, so I wanted to know what people's experiences have been. Wrist shots are always welcome because I think that dial and bezel combination is a knockout.

I've also been looking at the Autodomo Stradale. I know this is a completely different brand/type of watch, and is in a completely different price category but I'd love to hear from anyone that has one of these things. I won't be taking it in the drink, that's for sure. Thanks!

Max

2. Mothra Jun 22, 2015

I really like the blackbay look (both colors). There's been some fuss on another forum about corrosion of the crown tube that you may wish to check out. I also love the dial and strap of the Stradale, but not seen one in the flesh and struggle slightly with the movement's lack of cachet. I suspect ill wind up with one of each eventually. I know, no help there....

maxtor71 likes this.
  3. lenny Jun 22, 2015

Hmm...both of those watches are "vintage inspired", as the ads like to say. Are you certain you wouldn't want to get an actual vintage watch instead? As far as quality, you'll be pleased with the Tudor. The latter is yet another Chinese made microbrand - tried going down that road once - never again.

Archer and maxtor71 like this.
  4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 22, 2015

maxtor71, Hijak and Flingit1200s like this.
  5. Traveler Jun 22, 2015

The BB by far ... Every time I look at the AS I can't get past those two little dots on the face - just looks like an angry little dwarf face to me ....
    image.jpg

maxtor71 likes this.
  6. Traveler Jun 22, 2015

Or to echo @lenny - get a proper vintage 'racing watch' ... image.jpg

I like the Tudor a lot though ...

maxtor71 likes this.
  7. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Jun 22, 2015

I had a chance to handle the Autodromo at the Pop Up Flea in New York, and while I am not a fan of their watches in general, the Prototipo w/ the Seiko Mecaquartz movement is the far more interesting watch. If you are looking for a racing/automotive inspired watch, I would just go for a lesser rare vintage Calibre 11/12/15 or Valjoux Heuer as mentioned above. They can still be had for a similar price point as the Tudor.

I own a Black Bay Blue, and as you say, it's a lot of watch for the money. I have a small problem with the thickness of the watch (12.7mm), but it wears well even on my skinny wrists and it's very versatile - works equally well on bracelet, nato, and leather. I'm usually ebauche-averse, but in this case, the ETA 2824 is a plus for me since I bought this watch for inclement weather/beach wear. And Rolex did enough modifications to the movement (Triovis regulator and Kif shock system) to make it stand out from other ETA 2824s. I can't speak to the corrosion problems with the tubes, but I can't imagine that it is an issue if the watch is well cared for (i.e. cleaning it after exposure to salt water).

20150622_172702.jpg

20150315_184706.jpg

maxtor71, Hijak and Traveler like this.
  8. ulackfocus Jun 22, 2015

The distinct lack of pictures has caused my brain to freeze.

I can't believe any of youze guyz replied!

maxtor71 likes this.
  9. maxtor71 Jun 23, 2015

I did not know about the corrosion problems at all. Thanks for pointing it out, I'll look into that. To be fair, I think every watch has to be looked after to some degree and if you're swimming in saltwater, then most definitely. For me, the water is going to be that of a swimming pool at the most, never had the urge to get into the sea.

At these price points, with both these watches, the quality of movement doesn't matter to me. They're inexpensive enough that I'm okay with them being basic/undecorated - they keep time well enough from what I've seen and that'll do it for me. The main thing with both these watches is that I just like the look of them. The BB wears nice enough, it's just the Stradale that's a question mark as there are no dealers where I am.

Max

10. maxtor71 Jun 23, 2015

I've thought about vintage but the lack of watchmakers in my neck of the woods is a serious put off. There are no real vintage dealers where I am, so again, i'd be looking at an online purchase and i'm quite finicky when it comes to buying anything pre-owned - scratches that I haven't put in myself, may be a problem that I won't be able to get over :). That said, i've long been lusting after a nice Heuer Camaro/Montreal.

Max

11. maxtor71 Jun 23, 2015

Thanks for the pictures @CanberraOmega @Traveler @jordn - you've got great looking watches and I think tipped the scales in favour of the BB :).

Max

12. Traveler Jun 23, 2015

I love the Camaro too - doesn't get as much love as the other Heuers - it's very dressy for a sports chrono - but it's a lovely looking watch imo

image.jpg

13. maxtor71 Jun 23, 2015

That's a magnificent Camaro @Traveler - your own? It's a sharp sports chrono and like you said, could easily double as a dress watch.

Max

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 23, 2015

You piqued my curiosity about the BB case tube issue, so I just spent far too much time reading a thread on WUS about this (lots of bickering, with a very few clear facts thrown in over 21 pages...wow). Unfortunately the photo of the corroded (I assume) collar was removed, so I can't see what it actually looked like. As an engineer using these metals together violates some pretty basic engineering rules you would have learned in your first materials course, but as a watchmaker, I am less concerned. Rolex (and I assume Tudor would be the same) replace the case tube and crown on every watch at every service if it requires it or not.

It's unclear if the whole case tube is aluminum or not, or if it's just the decorative collar. If it's just the collar I would be less concerned, and as long as nothing gets between the crown and collar to damage the anodizing it should hold up okay I think (at least until it's replaced a regular service intervals as Tudor would assume you will do).

While I'm replying...with regards to the other brand mentioned, I had never heard of it so I took a look. Looks okay I guess, but I would be very concerned about parts. Most micro-brands don't stock spare parts or have the ability to service what they sell, so many of these are not something I would invest in, unless you understand the watch will be pretty much a throw away item down the road...

Given the 2 options, Tudor would be my pick here.

Cheers, Al

maxtor71 likes this.
  15. Traveler Jun 23, 2015

Yes - thanks, picked it up from another OF member last year. I guess the strap I put on it dresses it up even more... It's very sparkly for a chrono though!

maxtor71 likes this.
  16. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Jun 23, 2015

Just picked up a preowned BB in red. Loving it for now, but fairly sure I'll flip it eventually. Its such an odd color combo I call it my ugly duckling watch.
    It's absolutely beautifully made. The quality and finish is amazing. And for the price, you really can't beat it. Especially on the preowned market. $2500 for box and papers is fantastic value for money!

20150623_151051-1.jpg 20150623_133732.jpg 20150622_200649-1.jpg
    maxtor71 and Traveler like this.
  17. maxtor71 Jun 24, 2015

Fair points, Archer. I had absolutely no clue that this was an issue with the BB and you're right, that thread without the pictures is a lot of bickering with no substance. As you said, that is an odd pairing but I suppose it was done in the name of 'design'? Salt water isn't going to be an issue, so it's something that doesn't concern me too much but it will be interesting to see if Tudor is as steadfast as Rolex when it comes to service. I'd hope/assume so but you never know these days.

The Stradale, like the BB, I just find interesting. I've never considered watches investments but, again, you've made a good point regarding the spare parts. I suppose it's always going to be a gamble with the likes of Autodromo, SevenFriday, Dietrich etc. but given that they cost so little, if I end up with one, it will be filed away under the science experiment headline :).

Max

18. maxtor71 Jun 24, 2015

Beautiful!! Those pictures just gave me a bit of a nudge ;). Did you try it on the NATO strap as well?

It's interesting you bring up flipping it, from what I've been reading on the forums people that end up with these watches either keep them or sell them within a month or two. Please let me know what you end up doing with yours.

Regarding value for money, I think it's only fantastic value if you don't already own a moonwatch Speedy :). For $2500 you'll get a reasonably good Speedy with B&P and that, for me, is the definition of fantastic value for money.

Max