Forums Latest Members
  1. taz101 Jan 11, 2015

Hey Guys

Very close to adding a PO to my 300 diver but just wondered when the next PO range would be out? I believe the current line came out in 2011? If that's the case, wouldn't a new range be not far off and might be worth waiting?

Cheers

2. taz101 Jan 11, 2015

3. taz101 Jan 11, 2015

anyone?

4. Shem Jan 11, 2015

You might want to wait until after this year's Baselworld before making a decision about your next watch. It's coming up pretty soon. :) Can't wait till March!

shane0mack likes this.
  5. Superdoc Jan 11, 2015

I agree that basel is coming, and there may be some novelties there...
    A ceramic diver may appeal to you... But if The PO is what you want, don't expect the classic to be tampered with too much... It has all of the potential of being an icon... It would be a shot in the foot to change it too much... At best, we may get a new micro-adjustment clasp on that one...
    Your Smp however might just get an new engine....

6. shane0mack Jan 11, 2015

While this is good advice, waiting for Basel releases is like the ultimate case of blue balls. I'm still waiting on the SM300 I put a deposit on less than a week after it was announced.

7. taz101 Jan 12, 2015

Thanks for the input guys. Oh is Basel March? I spoke to Omega today who said there will be a Bond special edition in September but couldn't confirm if there would be a new PO line. I must admit, the orange bezel PO is the one my heart wants but my brain says NO as its not ceramic!! :/

8. flw history nerd Jan 12, 2015

Somehow I get the feeling that the SMPc Diver will stay the same ... The attention seems to be focused on the PO line and the new SM300. We'll see ... Just a hunch.

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 12, 2015

I would stay away of Bond specials.

I predict the spread of the master coaxial movements into the PO and SMP lines, and perhaps a wider use of ceramic and liquid metal technologies

Perhaps a blue side of the moon. I would love a non vintage replica of the SMP 300

10. msp1518 Jan 12, 2015

For me Omega ruined the Planet Ocean with that gray looking ceramic and the tank like thick movement. The 2500 version was perfection on the wrist as far as large divers go.

11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 12, 2015

Agreed...which is why i go the liquid metal LE. best of all worlds.

12. repoman Jan 12, 2015

I think "ruined" is a pretty strong word, but I do believe that many of us have expressed a strong preference for the aesthetics of the PO LM LE. It's a serious hole in my budding collection, probably my #1 hit list watch.

13. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 12, 2015

This is true. It's not ruined. The thickness is a little off but the dial is absolutely masterful. It's still a very good design. Really really good. So it's not so much the 8500 is bad, it's the LMLE is really perfectly balanced. If I had to choose the regular 2500 versus 8500 I would go with 8500. LMLE just has me floored

14. Superdoc Jan 12, 2015

If Orange PO is your desire...waiting will only invite more price increases...

True the Master Co-Axial will be offered, but it is a small evolutionary step above the current movements...

That Orange Ceramic doesn't seem like its coming anytime soon.... If you're really keen on it, there may be 3 or 4 of the 8 GMT Platinum Oranges left....

Omega is working very hard to perfect it, but it is harder than you'd think....Ceramic has to be Baked....
    so with a colour like Orange....far too much can change during the heating process...look at where it sits compared to black, Blue or white on the visible colour spectrum... heat may change the wavelength ... too much and it looks red...not enough and its yellowish...

now try to get it right on a mass production level.... like telling a chef.... Make 1 million perfect Souffles!

The Bond Special editions... Most true collectors roll their eyes... but there have been a few Surprises...

I'd love to get my hands on a Quantum of Solace ... Although the worst Movie, the Best Watch...

I can't anticipate anything coming along that would challenge your love for the Orange PO... and like I said the PO will not be tinkered with too much.... at best you will get the Anti-magnetic movement and a new clasp...

(Although admittedly, a new clasp with micro-adjustments like the sm300, or PloProf, might just be worth holding out for....)

15. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 12, 2015

I wouldn't call a 15.000 gauss proof mastercoaxial movement is a small evolutionary step. I would agree with many that the whole coaxial movement is an advance that may or may not have been necessary, but on age of electromagnetic waves Magnetic proofing is a great step. It has been a dominant concern for decades, since from IWC to....anyone really. People aplauded the Rolex milgauss, and that's 1000 gauss proof...

16. Superdoc Jan 12, 2015

I agree, but given the need to up the ante in an effort to become a true Veblen Item... Omega can't really afford to have a low end line anymore...

It can still serve as entry Line... But the price of admission has to go up.... and it therefore needs to be justified... an 8500 movement might just be the Justification necessary

Yes, but let's remember that the Silicon Balance spring... the true heart of the automatic movement...is already Antimagnetic...

Just by protecting that from magnetic charge you are way ahead of the game... Don't get me wrong, I love the Master-Co-axial, and applaud everything it stands for , And I shout from the rooftops how much more advanced it is than anything Rolex is producing, and encourage anyone who is looking at Aqua Terras today, to opt for the Master co-axial... but honestly... if I had to choose between getting a PO 8500 now, or waiting 8-12 months for a MASTER-Co-axial PO8500...I think I could sleep soundly at night getting a current one... and I think most owners of the current line up are quite happy with less friction, longer service intervals, and an antimagnetic (without the marketing push) Balance spring...

I can't imagine too many of us trading ours in for the new models just for 15,000 Gauss of magnetic field protection...

Edited Jan 12, 2015
  17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 12, 2015

True enough. I'm even happy with the 2500 movement.

18. taz101 Jan 13, 2015

good comments guys. Just FYI i'm not actually interested in a Bond :)
    Agree with you re: the grey ceramic being a little dull but at this point i think ive narrowed it down to:
    the orange 42m PO
    the standard PO with orange numerals 42mm
    the seamaster 300 master black (i want the blue but not paying ANOTHER grand just for titanium which i dont want anyway as it would make it lighter and i like the heavier feel!!)

lastly, what is the PO LM LE people are raving about above??

19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 13, 2015

It's a limited edition watch issued a couple of years ago when they developed the liquid metal technologies and ceramic. Both the dial and bezel are black ceramic of equal tone. Dial is glossy. Applied logo and numerals. They made only 1947 units. Hard to find and expensive. You can Google or YouTube it. It has the 2500 movement so the case is thinner, the finish is impecable. Black dial, as opposed to the current blue titanium which shares the technology.

If the 8500 was a little thinner then the version without orange numerals would be close, except for the gray bezel. It is considered the most collectable of the PO line to date.

Here'is mine

image.jpg image.jpg
    Varasc likes this.
  20. taz101 Jan 13, 2015

That is far superior to the boring grey ceramic I think and has made me doubt it now completely!! I think it might have to be the orange bezel guys but argh i HATE its aluminium! Feels like a big mistake :(