Forums Latest Members

News to premium watches. Just need a steer please

1. Boogi11 Sep 12, 2017

hi all . I have been deliberating over the purchase of a premium watch for a while and have finally set my heart on the standard. Steel strapped presentation boxed speedmaster moonwatch. It rrp at £3520 in
    Uk. So few question
    1. Can this be purchased cheaper outside of the presentation box
    2. Realistically can I buy this from an authorised dealer cheaper. I'm hoping to haggle to about £3200-3300 also I will have to finance 50%
    3. Any thoughts on buying the same watch but from the year of my birth 1975. Appreciate the presentation box won't be available. I'm more concerned about the watch quality

Thanks in advance

2. Shailor Sep 12, 2017

3. sjg22 Sep 12, 2017

As @Shailor suggests, take a look on the sales section of this forum. Lots of Moonwatches of various age from well vetted sellers.

4. Shailor Sep 12, 2017

5. ac106 Sep 12, 2017

Here you go:

IMG_0912.JPG

6. tyrantlizardrex Sep 12, 2017

Welcome along @Boogi11

1) You could until earlier this year... not sure if that option is still available, but if you contact an Omega boutique, they will be able to tell you for certain.

2) Yes... you can haggle... you might get anywhere between 5-15% depending on your relationship with the dealer... as a one of purchaser they might not help you out though. Typically if they're giving a discount, they'll want 100% payment.

3) There's no specific 1975 reference of the 145.022... so you're down to hunting serial numbers, and then trying to get an extract of the archives to confirm that it was made in that year. Quality is not the issue here, but more worn and old, vs. brand new and under warranty.

Important question - have you been and tried the watch on to check that you like it in person/it fits you/suits you?

Cheers

Chris

Spruce likes this.
  7. erok32 Sep 12, 2017

I'd rather buy pre owned all day. Also, I'm not a fan or trying to find birth year watches. The calibre is different on a 1975 vs modern, and remember that the lume will be pretty much dried up and will have a heavy patina with the tritium indices.

8. tyrantlizardrex Sep 13, 2017

The 861 isn't that different from the 1861... not enough to worry.

And lume degrades based on temperature/moisture/light conditions... so will not necessarily have heavy patina.

Horses for courses though. ;)

noelekal likes this.
  9. Mozziebite Sep 13, 2017

If you're patient and keep your eye on eBay or "grey dealers" like Heritage Watches you'll likely be able to get one much cheaper. Just make sure the warranty is kosher. I got one a few weeks ago on eBay for £2750 (brand new, bought the previous week from Ernest Jones - maybe the seller bought it on 0% finance and flipped it for quick cash..). And on that point, several ADs will give you 0% finance over 3-4 years, although that will be on the full RRP.

10. Boogi11 Sep 13, 2017

I don't know what a Luke id

11. Boogi11 Sep 13, 2017

Sorry, don't know what a Lume is

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 13, 2017

IMG_3593.JPG
    Original ugly 76 with bad lume?

Caliber is the same as current except for finish. 861 and 1861 both use the delren brake since about 72? The extra jewel in some 1861's is not a real difference

Edited Sep 13, 2017
    noelekal likes this.
  13. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 13, 2017

Lume is what would allow the marker and hands to glow in the dark for a little while. It is often a green or blue glow depending on the watch and brand.

Lume accentuates luminosity and is often used on diving, tool and sports watches that may need added visibility due to environment condition....like floating around in space or fighting a shark in the deep.....or going to the bathroom.

Throughout the years Lume (for luminosity) has been made out of different chemical components. For the end of the 20th century a product called Tritium. For modern watches a product called Luminova.

Tritium degraded with time and condition often turning anywhere from white to cream to Yellow to mustard... this degradation is often perceived as "desirable" on the watch community because it is aesthetically pleasing (so much so that some modern watches imitate the effect on purpose) and most importantly because it often (not always) means that the dial and it's components are original to the watch or at least aged.

Other collectors don't care and just feel it looks old and does not glow anymore so they want a new model that will entertain them at night or in the movie theatre.

Neither collector profile is right or wrong, just a matter of taste.

14. N1CK Sep 13, 2017

Most watch sellers (apart from OBs) will offer you 0% interest finance on the purchase of a new watch. However you won't be able to haggle the price, you'll have to accept RRP.

I think you will struggle to find a second hand watch available on finance.

If you have to go down the finance route then I think new and RRP is your only option.