Forums Latest Members
  1. chipsotoole May 9, 2016

Hello Omegoids!

So I got home from work and casually checked (eBay as you do). I had ZERO time to snap up a second chance offer from an auction I thought I'd lost last week (and consequently awarded myself the second prize- a beautiful 60's Zodiac Blackface Goldenline in superb original condition).
    So without really doing a lot of homework I pulled the trigger on this , ahem , fixer upper. I'm going to sell a couple of watches to pay for the repairs (orator 40's Landeron148 chronograph and a vulcain Grand Prix...both other fixer uppers). Yeah I know I should have asked for a peek at the innards but my instincts said this looked to be alright and worth a flutter, it certainly appears to be gen..so er, can anybody tell me any more about it.....I paid 194 euros...paypal so if I screwed up all may not be lost , especially as its a blackface pic1.jpg pics.jpg pic3.jpg . I hope she's a bargain I'd love to bring her back to life...

2. lillatroll May 9, 2016

Hello
    The pictures are a bit small. Maybe a link to the ebay page or bigger pictures would be a huge help.:)

chronos likes this.
  3. chipsotoole May 9, 2016

oops apologies for the terrible pics..I may have to repost once it arrives

4. chipsotoole May 9, 2016

5. lillatroll May 9, 2016

I only have my phone to see the pictures but it looks like it has bits of paint still on the markers.This makes it a redial and for a collector it is not something they would want no matter how cheap. Try to get your money back and look on the FS section here.

6. chipsotoole May 9, 2016

When you get a chance , please point out which markers you suspect paint the paint to be on, I can't seem to make it out, perhaps 7 o'clock? ..this is the sort of thing i need to be looking for. Thanks!
    also..if it was a redial, why leave the paint worn away all around the outer rim of the face? This is one of the reasons I thought it might be gen...

7. lillatroll May 9, 2016

The paint on the number 7 mark is what I could make out. Maybe someone tried to touch up the dial. As said I only have my phone so it is hard to see it clearly.

8. lillatroll May 10, 2016

It says the listing has been removed so can t see any pictures.

9. chipsotoole May 11, 2016

I must have done something wrong!

GuiltyBoomerang and lillatroll like this.
  10. GuiltyBoomerang May 11, 2016

11. chipsotoole May 11, 2016

Thanks for that... It arrived today, and well indeed under very close inspection with a lupe it seems the dial might have undergone a makeover.....though strangely not at all around the outer edge where the wear is noticeable. Case , crown and back have all benefitted from a solid buffing at some point. The crown appears original with the logo. I've been trying to identify the model. Its like a 1965/6 Seamaster 600 without the 600 written on it, or a 65 Omega Geneve without the Geneve. The official list says that Seamster 600's weren't always marked as so and simply marked as a Seamaster. I'm thinking a 601 movement . I'm not going to pop the back off at the moment but the case and the dial seem to fit the profile on first inspection. As a very very new and pretty skint newbie to the watch collection business (my last years travel expenses went into my buying account) I think this will suit my purposes. Someone here said in the "redial or not to redial thread"- " If you like it , wear it and wear it hard!" seems like good advice to me. It'll be in a hard rotation with half a dozen of my other watches. It's about as uncomplicated, basic and no frills as you might possibly go for a vintage Omega, but hey its an under the radar start. I'm nowhere near ready to start with a mega high end watches until I can look after my 2nd and 3rd division watches with the care they deserve. ...that said, I'm going home to Scotland with my family for 2 weeks and have just heard I've inherited a mens 1950's Jaeger Lecoutre from an old neighbour! Anyway, Let's hope the repairman doesn't tell me any bad news when I go see him tomorrow. If you like, I'll keep you posted.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.