Forums Latest Members
  1. FrankA Jul 21, 2016

Hi guys n

I am new to this forum and looking to learn more about Omega watches and eventually purchase my first pre-owned timepiece.

Speedmasterfan88 and Foo2rama like this.
  2. nurseford25 Jul 21, 2016

Welcome. There is lots to learn here.

i20rider and Foo2rama like this.
  3. Bushido Jul 22, 2016

Welcome!
    First order of learning is: Set a fancy avatar for yourself before a jocular yet bitter squirrel finds you.
    Second: Sit back and enjoy reading/participating.
    Third: Watch all the directions your money will be leaving your wallet in the near future.

EatMan likes this.
  4. soybeanwatch Aug 3, 2016

Congrats FrankA on your first post! I envy you for I've lurked on this forum for quite some time now and finally got the itch to sign up. Love how you had the confidence to state your desire to learn more about Omega watches... which I'm sure is something a lot of us wanted to say but never did =)

5. mdgrwl Aug 3, 2016

welcome :)

6. ctpete Aug 3, 2016

Welcome!

7. FrankA Aug 11, 2016

Thanks everyone!

8. Clibka Aug 18, 2016

Welcome frank! Don't neglect the vintage stuff. Some fun learning to do on that side as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. w.finkenstaedt Aug 18, 2016

Fun learning, but if it's your first mechanical, probably will be your last. Vintage are great for occasional wear, but will not do well daily.

Go modern (2000-new) for easiest ownership. And don't forget to budget a complete overhaul for any piece you buy used or grey market just to be sure.

10. Clibka Aug 18, 2016

Agree on this front as well finken, was merely suggesting to learn about the older stuff as well considering they are the foundation on which the daily wearable modern versions are built. What is it they say? "How can we know where we are without knowing where we have been?"

w.finkenstaedt likes this.
  11. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Aug 18, 2016

Welcome aboard Frank. Get ready to learn and part with lots of your hard earned money. :thumbsup:

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 18, 2016

If properly serviced and looked after, a vintage watch can be worn daily with no problems. I do it almost every day as do many others here...

ahsposo and Clibka like this.
  13. w.finkenstaedt Aug 18, 2016

Yep, it's the looking after part that's the problem. Someone new to watches won't know if their crown is difficult to turn or if their lume is at the point where it's going to start cracking, etc.

To be clear I have a vintage speedy, it just makes me nervous to wear because as soon as the tritium goes it's going to lose a lot of value.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 18, 2016

Okay I guess....whatever works for you, but it sounds completely paranoid to me.

ahsposo likes this.