Forums Latest Members
  1. PsychB Dec 2, 2015

Hi,

I am new to the Omega Forum and just purchased my first Omega - Speedmaster Professional with sapphire sandwich. Two questions - 1) back of the bracelet is getting fine scratches from use (keyboarding) - how to best remove them? and 2) how 'accurate' should I expect a new watch to be?

TIA

2. saturn1981 Dec 2, 2015

Welcome B,
    As to your question 1) I would not try to remove the scatches myself unless your a professional. Take it down to the jeweller.
    2) The watch should be below 30 seconds
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::):)

3. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Dec 2, 2015

First of all @PsychB , congratulations on your new Speedmaster! I wish you many, many years of happy wearing!

Regarding your question on Accuracy, I presume what you are really getting at is Timekeeping Precision. If you want your watch to be accurate, you could re-synchronize it every day with a recognized time standard and it would always be pretty accurate.

But back to timekeeping. The 1861 movement is not designed (or manufactured) to be a wonder of timekeeping precision, but rather, to be an effective yet rather blunt instrument. Remember, this movement is certified by NASA to function properly during a spacewalk, where there can be a +/- 100 degC swing in temperature in less than a minute.

I own just one watch with a 1861 movement and it can gain up to 7 seconds per day if it is left resting in a particular position, and can lose up to 7 seconds per day if left resting in a particular position. Compared to a certified Chronometer, that is not very precise. Other owners of watches with 321, 861, 1861, or 1863 movements may experience better, or worse timekeeping precision than my particular watch.

I like to use the positional variation in my watch's timekeeping precision to my advantage. By varying the overnight resting position of the watch, I can keep my watch as close to a particular timekeeping standard as I desire. Thus, the average daily time loss or gain can be kept to near zero.

Here's a screen capture from an iOS app (WatchTracker) that I use to monitor my Speedmaster's timekeeping. You can see that over a 6-week period my watch is (on average) neither gaining nor losing time.

The left scale on the graph is the deviation from a time standard (in seconds), and the bottom scale is elapsed days.

IMG_0508.PNG

Edited Dec 2, 2015
    boat2dan likes this.