Forums Latest Members
  1. BenBagbag Apr 3, 2017

Hey guys,

Once again, thanks for all the info disseminated on this forum. I still haven't bought a vintage omega yet because the more I learn from you guys the sharper I get and the more my tastes change.

Could I make a suggestion? Perhaps there should be a sticky post that gets updated every once in a while with different places to get a watch serviced based on location. It could include some reviews every once in a while when a special job is done. I don't know if it exists on other parts of the forum but certainly could be helpful here as vintage watches should be handled differently than contemporary watches.

Just a thought!

Thanks,
    Ben

blacktiger likes this.
  2. blacktiger Apr 3, 2017

Great idea :)

3. lillatroll Apr 3, 2017

Hello
    There is a thread about this on the open discussion page. All the pros and cons of this idea are discussed there.

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 3, 2017

Another sticky that 95% of the noobs ignore. Great idea!

5. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 3, 2017

Wouldn't this be akin to asking an experienced fisherman where his favorite honey-holes are located :whistling:

Jwit, EdistoJim, adi4 and 4 others like this.
  6. pippy Apr 5, 2017

None of us like to depart with our money. I have been taken with watch repairs before. Hence been self thaught on simple repairs. Saying that, this seems to be handled in the open discussion quit well.

MikiJ likes this.
  7. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 5, 2017

No question that bad experiences with watch repairs are best handled in an open discussion.

Most unfortunately my friend, EdistoJim, recently experienced a piss-poor, expensive repair from a watch-maker in North Carolina.

Jim, being Jim, disputed the faulty repair and got a "not my fault" response. Jim is now disputing his over $1,000.US payment.

Jim has subsequently brought his 145.022-69 for another complete overhaul. It is now running as it was meant to run :)

Unfortunately I was referred to this watch-make by a fellow member that has also experienced issues with him. He is certainly not at fault for his recommendation as something obviously when wrong with was once a trusted technician.
    Since it's not my watch, I don't think it's right for me to "out" this watch-maker. I think it's best if Jim wants to vent his bad experience.

8. EdistoJim Apr 5, 2017

People are sometimes apprehensive on replying to threads where its obvious that someone is unhappy with service or unhappy with the results of said service. I've had things go bad before but for the most part
    the repair facility will step up to the plate, make it right and we'll move on, it happens and most savvy business people understand that the word of mouth advertisement is as good as it gets. I'll cite an exception:
    Specialty Watch Repair and Mr Randolph Ward. $1086.00 down the toilet. He took in my 69 for an overhaul, and quite the overhaul it was too, when returned, it would not reset, oil on the dial, hour sub would not keep time, pretty much a mess. The funny part, he blamed me, said I broke the watch upon its return. He sent me a pic of a bent pusher on the upper reset. It was sent back to Mr Ward. No warranty whatsoever, no receipt for work performed and no returned parts. We are at the point of writing letters to American Express for at least a partial refund, I have no idea if this will happen. Live and learn. By the way, when the watch was sent out for repair it was first of October 2016 for a three week turnarund, I received the watch back end of Febuary 2017. It has since been repaired by a competent repair person and running like a top. Oh, and its for sale as I have two. I will probably receive some heat for this post, thats ok, truth is always a breath of fresh air.

ddavis7426, MikiJ and Sculler22 like this.
  9. Sculler22 Apr 5, 2017

Anyone can have a bad day. However, not standing behind your work and deflecting blame is more than enough reason, IMO, to inform others of your experience with this watch repair person (I wouldn't, in any way, call him a professional).

EdistoJim likes this.