Forums Latest Members
  1. desotod Apr 10, 2017

Hello all, I'm excited to be here! So prior to last year, I knew nothing about Omega watches. Unfortunately my Uncle passed away and I acquired a few of his watches, mostly from the 40's to early 60's. He was obviously an Omega fan, and now reading about them I am too! Through either research or documentation he had I was able to identify all but one of his Omega's. It's a Seamaster with an aftermarket steel band (Speidel of course). It's a bit dirty and the crystal is used/hazy, no cracks, but could probably be replaced. Serial #12851423. Sub second dial, and it's of course self-winding and stem-wound. Also has the Omega logo on the stem.

Can anyone help me identify what year/model watch this is? Omega wants some ridiculous amount of money for me to get the info from them, and I *may* sell it since I like the others a bit better than this one, although if it's older/rarer the one of the others, I may keep for posterity's sake. So either way it'd like to know what I have, lol. (BTW, there's no corrosion on the stainless, just dirt as my Uncle lived on a farm. The back photo makes the bezel area look bad but I'll be tooth-brushing that, lol.)

Thank you everyone SO MUCH in advance for your expertise in an area that I'm completely ignorant on.
    Respectfully,
    -DeSoto

omega_02_IMG_20170409_132452.jpg omega_01_IMG_20170410_122440.jpg
    blacktiger likes this.
  2. Kja Apr 10, 2017

Early 50's seamaster bumper

3. desotod Apr 10, 2017

@Kja, seamaster 'bumper'? Could you elaborate? Also, any idea of value? Thank you again!

4. Kja Apr 10, 2017

Yes, the movement is called a bumper because the rotor " bumps" back and forth like a hammer, before full rotor automatics came about many companies like omega and lecoutre were building these types of automatic movements. They were only built for a few years, you can actually feel the rotor rocking back and forth on your arm and they have a great charm.

In order to sell it, you would get more if it was cleaned up and seviced, but many prefer to do this themselves so it might not be worth it to you. If you just put it on ebay you will get what the market feels it's worth. You need to have many clear pictures of the watch and the movement. Maybe you could polish the crystal too as it looks beat up and haggard with some toothpaste. I would say you will get around $600 or so depending on pictures and descriptions.

So what other omega's did you get?

5. ConElPueblo Apr 10, 2017

Hi DeSoto.

If you look up "omega serial numbers" on google, you'll be able to find diagrams where you can look up that long serial number, you see on the movement and get a good indication of age.

The model number is on the inside of the case back and is usually a four digit number with a "-X" after it, where X is the "batch" it is a part of. Yours is probably a 2576-X.

I am guessing that the dial has either been completely renovated or at least relumed. If it has been renovated the value could be hurt bad.

Syrte, M.C.B1974 and blacktiger like this.
  6. desotod Apr 10, 2017

@Kja, wow, that's really cool info! I kind of like the uniqueness of something they only did for a few years. I'm on the fence but will do a mild clean-up (polishing compound and cleaning) and see if I'm keeping or selling. Ebay scares me to be frank, so I'm leaning towards a direct sell, even if it's for less than what I can *potentially* get. As to the other watches, my Uncle was definitely a 'seamaster only' guy. I have a gold 1949 with brown band; the band is worn, but looks like it was put away decades ago. Also a really clean (near perfect) '65 DeVille but with another stainless replacement band. Also two Hamilton Masterpieces. I just put a battery in the one I've attached on the photo. Unfortunately the stem is broken (It's still in the watch but you can see it's seared) so Ill probably have to near give that one away. My Uncle was in many ways my surrogate Father so the other Omega's are going to be stored and boxed for my (now 12 year old) son, along with some background/info regarding how he got the watches and what the man meant to our family; mainly, how he prevented me from becoming a complete douche b**, lol.

@ConElPueblo , I don't think the dial or anything on this watch was touched. The good/bad is that my Uncle didn't service ay of his watches. This particular specimen was the most used/worn, and the others just sat. I might have to learn how to gauge that for sure in case you're correct. ;)

Thank you both so much for the info. Even selling it, it's really cool to get a bit of the lineage and understanding of this piece, and to appreciate what he wore for so many decades. I continue to gain respect for the heritage of Omega and their quality products. Very cool indeed.

hamilton_IMG_20170410_134750.jpg
  7. Kja Apr 10, 2017

You take better pics of the omega? Some times old like just puffs up like that, or it could be relumed. It looks like old like though. Don't polish it too much!! Just the crystal! If you polish the bevels you will lose the crispness of the case and it will be worth less.

8. desotod Apr 10, 2017

@Kja, good point. I'm pretty versed in the classic car/motorcycle world in terms of reconditioning, so I'll mask everything off proper like and do a mild crystal polish, just to make it a bit better to see. Ultimately I think the new owner would take it to an official Omega engineer for a proper reconditioning, yeah? I would lose sleep at night knowing I wrecked a 65+ year old...well, anything frankly.

9. M.C.B1974 Apr 10, 2017

I would agree that the dial if not re-finished the lume does not look correct, the color looks a little too green and the hands don't look to be luminous. Maybe just the pictures.
    I really like the sub dial and that it is a bumper.:thumbsup:

10. desotod Apr 10, 2017

@channel, thank you for all of the info. So I spent a little time polishing the crystal. Im thinking another hour will have it near perfect, there's really nothing wrong with it. @M.C.B1974 , @Kja , @ConElPueblo : With this new photo, can either of you confirm or deny that there may have been alterations to this seamaster? Thank you thank you!
    -DD ~Semper Fi~

omega_polished_IMG_20170410_160859.jpg
  11. M.C.B1974 Apr 10, 2017

Watch looks better with the crystal cleaned up.
    I believe the dial has been re-finished. The font doesn't look correct and the distance between seamaster and the automatic seems to be too far spaced.
    Hopefully members with more knowledge can verify if it is a redial or a original dial.
    It looks much better after you cleaned the crystal, would make a nice everyday wearer.:)

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 10, 2017

The good:

You have a nice Omega Bumper (Caliber 342?) with a very clean (for its age) movement.

The not so good:

The watch has had some water ingress in the past judging by the rust on the stem.
    This may have been the reason that the dial was repainted (obvious by minute markers, sub dial and lume application etc.).

The amount of dirt on the back of the case, if it gets into the movement it could create problems if not serviced.

My recommendation:

Get it serviced by an independent watchmaker, maybe fit a new crystal or polish the original. Replace the flexi with a nice leather strap.
    Enjoy it.

13. desotod Apr 11, 2017

Thank you one and all for the advise! I like it enough that yes, I may just keep it. On the flip-side, I've got over two dozen watches now. Not bragging, since none of them were great (Fossil, etc.) except these that were bequeathed. Decisions decisions, lol. You guys gave me more to ponder on. Thank you again!
    -DD

14. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 11, 2017

@desotod, sorry for your loss-- it's nice you have this bequest to hold on to.
    Frankly it's hard to compare these watches to "Fossil etc" and it would be nice if you could find an original replacement dial for this bumper.
    @JimInOz and other OF pals, How difficult would it be?

15. smorrisonmd Apr 11, 2017

16. Bumper Apr 11, 2017

Here is my 2576 for comparison.

DSC00829.JPG

17. RedPhil Apr 12, 2017

Hi, would I be right in thinking the watch in the eBay link that smorrisonsd points to above is just too good to be true. Although I guess they don't explicitly state that it is original they certainly imply that even the band is original - 63 years old and looking like that - the cynic in me has doubts.