Forums Latest Members

Newbie ... trying to buy son a vintage Omega Seamaster for Christmas

1. tripletmom Dec 6, 2016

Hi ... thanks for such a great place to learn about these watches! My son has told me that he would like a classic looking vintage watch . I have no experience with watches, so I've been googling and reading as much as I can find ... I was drawn to the older Omega Seamaster and was excited when I read that this watch is indeed a good starting point for a wanna be watch collector ( i.e., my son )
    So I look and look and look and call local shops here . I become more and more confused. There is so much to know ! Even the people selling them cannot tell you what they have ... how are you supposed to know what a fair price is if the seller can't give you even the most basic information?
    So I was thrilled to find this group . My thoughts are , I buy my son his first vintage timepiece for Christmas and I introduce him to this group and start him on a journey ... but first, I have to pick a watch!! He's only 16, so I don't want to start him out with anything too nice ... I'm afraid he might lose it honestly ! But by the time that he graduates High School, he should be ready for a nicer vintage watch ... so this is where we start :)

I found a SS locally, it wasn't exactly the style that I was looking at online ... but the price grabbed me ( and the fact that it was local ) ... but now I am second guessing myself on this watch ... and thinking that I'd be better off going with a reputable online seller ... if anyone could offer any advice or information on this watch, I would be so grateful ... thanks in advance :)

IMG_2813.JPG IMG_2814.JPG IMG_2815.JPG IMG_2816.JPG
  2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Dec 6, 2016

The dial is redone, and badly

Kathmandu!, chronos and tripletmom like this.
  3. Davidt Dec 6, 2016

Please don't buy that watch. The dial has been horrendously repainted.

Where are you located and what is your budget? The for sale section here and ebay may be a better bet. Please remember almost all vintage watches require periodic servicing snd they are likely to require it after purchase, unless the seller has proof it has been done recently.

chronos and tripletmom like this.
  4. Canuck Dec 6, 2016

There is a very good choice of Omegas offered for sale, by those who regularly post on the Omega MB. I have never bought a watch on line, but I think most who post here are trustworthy. And you may have the opportunity to vet the purchase before you buy. Look for the Watches For Sale, or Private Watches For Sale forums on the main message board. By the way, there is no way on this earth that I would have trusted our son with a decent watch, when he was 16! He destroyed a Rolex of mine that I gave him to wear, when nothing else would stand up! You sure you wanna do this?

kkt and tripletmom like this.
  5. tripletmom Dec 6, 2016

6. tripletmom Dec 6, 2016

Thanks everyone!! I have seen several that look like this online and felt like it looked " off " ... thanks for educating me :)
    I'm in Mobile, AL and I was hoping to find something that was a very good deal and spend no more than $400-$800 ... but now that you tell me about your son destroying your Rolex, I'm reconsidering. What if I bought him a vintage watch that he only uses as a dress watch for church and social activities only?

The seller also said that it was all original but I noticed that the watch band is not Omega, right?
    The only reason that I considered buying this watch was because it was super cheap ... but I guess you get what you pay for ...
    other than the watch face being repainted, does the watch look like a piece of junk? I've seen a ton online that I LOVE, but they are all priced around $1200-$2500 and that's too much for a watch that he will probably lose or, as you say, tear up ... I honestly had not considered that he might destroy it :(

Is there ANY price at which you would buy this watch for your son? ( it is CHEAP )

I did not realize that this group has a selling component ... that is great to know! I will definitely go look ... is there a watch that you would recommend for a very studious 16 year old ? He's not a hunter, fisherman type ... he studies a lot and is trying out for the tennis team this week ... so maybe just a dress watch ? You guys are the experts, so I'm trusting your opinions ... I can't thank you enough :)

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 6, 2016

Any reason you want to start his collection with Omega?

Seiko is just as collected and has an amazing history and variety. You can get 2-5 Seiko for each Omega. Service needs are lower and the pieces are available on a High School students budget.

They had the First automatic chronograph, a history of Iconic Diving watches, and a great selection of dress watches. The Watches from the mid 60's to 70's are built to last and very collectible. They also pretty good investments as most people agree they are currently undervalued.

Good starts are the Seiko 6309 and Seiko Pogue.

Decent examples can be had for 300 or so.

jjtnova and tripletmom like this.
  8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Dec 6, 2016

I think if he were to wear it for church and other social activities, a vintage Omega would be a good match. There are other option as well, such as JLC, Longines and a few others in that $400-800 price point.

If he would be using it as a daily wear watch, then maybe another style and brand may be better suited, as mentioned above.

Check out the private sales forum.

Frunkinator, chronos and tripletmom like this.
  9. ulackfocus Dec 6, 2016

Is that a Zodiac bracelet on the watch the OP showed?

ralpher, Giff2577, Jwit and 2 others like this.
  10. Uniqez Dec 6, 2016

I was going to say that if you buy a zodiac watch without the bracelet you can share it in between two watches.)))

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

11. Halldawg Dec 6, 2016

You can find some very affordable watches on the forum here. I just started myself and did not want to put too much in the beginning. I have purchased 2 watches and both are great, one Omega and one Tissot. Neither broke the bank.

tripletmom likes this.
  12. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 6, 2016

I would suggest a modern, vintage styled watch for a 16 year old. Something from Orient will fit the bill, possibly one of the Bambinos. They are readily available, and Orient has a good reputation amongst the WIS community.

Not expensive, and no immediate hidden servicing costs either.

*Edit* - forgot rule no.1 - picture added ;)

Bambino.jpg

Edited Dec 6, 2016
    efauser, tripletmom and Uniqez like this.
  13. ConElPueblo Dec 6, 2016

In my experience, a type of watch that seems to have endless appeal for younger people and those new to vintage watches, is the Seamaster 30 or 600 from the sixties. These have a pretty simplistic, modernist look that is very popular. Even though they are quite common, they seem to always be in demand. Looks great on a brown leather strap, which is what they tend to be paired with, or a black one for more formal occasions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (all pictures from omegaforums, the last two are from ended sales)

What you need to get is one that is:

1. in decent condition.
    2. serviced.
    3. sold by someone trustworthy.

noelekal, tripletmom and Halldawg like this.
  14. Uniqez Dec 6, 2016

You almost don't need to service Orient)))

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

tripletmom and Mouse_at_Large like this.
  15. agee Dec 6, 2016

I agree with the above post recommending a vintage Seiko diver-6309 for example
    or a Pogue-cool and reliable-not dressy + priced right

16. tripletmom Dec 6, 2016

Thanks to you all ... I'm making notes on the watches that you all recommended and I will google them to see what they look like ... and ConElPueblo, that 600 in your first photo is the style that I initially had decided that I wanted to try to find ... I love that look. ( where is that one for sale ? I'm not opposed to buying my boys watches now and putting them away to give them when they are older and less likely to mistreat them )
    Anyway, after I started looking online using the search " Omega Seamaster" , I found sooo many watches being sold by sooo many people that seemed to know as little as I did and could not tell me the age or anything other than it is an " Omega Seamaster" ... I had no idea that there are so many DIFFERENT watches that fall under that one name. I really really appreciate all of you sharing your thoughts with me ... you have each given me very useful information and I thank you! I will continue to check back to read additional input if others are willing to share. I've a lot to learn :)

17. tripletmom Dec 6, 2016

Kbjohn likes this.
  18. tripletmom Dec 6, 2016

No real reason ... I just googled " vintage men's watch" and the Omega Seamaster caught my eye ... specifically the 1960's classic style ( I think , I'm trying to learn what is what ) ... but I am glad that you recommended others for me to check out ... I'm very open to suggestions because I am very new to watches . I especially like the chance to buy a watch to give them for a special occasion that might possibly increase in value over the years ... I think that would be very cool ... my only nice watch is a Rolex ( not an expensive one ) that unfortunately isn't worth as little as we paid for it 17 years ago ( when we bought it new ) ... but we bought it as a watch ... not expecting it to appreciate or depreciate ... we have really never been into watches. But having boys that are now getting older , I like the idea of watches as gifts... I'd like to spend some time learning about collecting vintage watches now, so I can find them something really special for graduation gifts in the future ... I will definitely check out the watches that you recommended ... thank you!

19. tripletmom Dec 6, 2016

20. tripletmom Dec 6, 2016