Forums Latest Members
  1. Garfunkle876 Mar 14, 2017

Hello,

Just finally got promoted at my job and i've been wanting to reward myself. I've been looking at Omega Seamaster vintages and Ive found a few that I'm interested in. Browsing through these forums have been helping but still would like some advice around determining value and lasting value. I know mistakes will be made, but I am looking to avoid them as I navigate through this journey.

Here is the auction in particular:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Omeg...-Winding-Swiss-Mens-Wrist-Watch-/322445647992Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Please let me know what you think or if there are any other vintages in this price range I should consider.

Thanks

G

2. hamster Kung Fu Hamster rules! Mar 14, 2017

Congratulations on the job!

I'm no expert by any means but I'm sure one of the many others who are will get back to you. As described in the ad, the case has been polished. The crown colour doesn't match the case but I'm not sure whether that's correct/incorrect. The dial looks really clean and many say that if it looks too clean, it probably is.

As a newbie myself, I can't recommend enough that you keep an eye on the sales pages here - loads of interesting/different watches come up! The question is, how do you choose one?!?

Cheers,

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 14, 2017

As noted the case is polished the movement is also tired.

PASS.

Look for something better.

watch3s likes this.
  4. robbygoodkarma Mar 14, 2017

I would pass, the movement looks like it needs help.
    My rule of thumb personally is to keep my eBay purchases/ sales only in the United States.
    I have had better luck with returns and communication.

5. hamster Kung Fu Hamster rules! Mar 14, 2017

At the risk of hijacking the thread, what were your thoughts on the crown?

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 14, 2017

A later replacement in the correct style.

hamster likes this.
  7. hamster Kung Fu Hamster rules! Mar 14, 2017

Also, when you say the movement looks tired, how do you spot that?

IMG_5089.PNG
    Garfunkle876 likes this.
  8. ConElPueblo Mar 14, 2017

As it's an auction, it's a bit dificult to tell how big a budget you have? If you're ill-informed (nothing wrong with that, everyone has to start somewhere) and looks to find a good watch at a reasonable buy, have a look at the marketplace here on OF.

...Notice the difference in colour in the movement? That'll be it. The plating should NOT wear off. Different grades of copper tone can be fine, but this one has been treated badly.

hamster likes this.
  9. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Mar 14, 2017

Here's what you want cal. 600 to look like:
    F0C9EE2F-DE9F-4668-B2E8-B1D031231BAA-15148-00000C9F8C11DFE7.jpeg

Omega movements of that era should look like a shiny new penny if well preserved. The OP movement looks like a penny found in the parking lot of an abandoned building.

10. Garfunkle876 Mar 19, 2017

Hey guys, Thanks for all the I had a budget of about 500-600 bucks USD. (i'm from Canada).

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on this piece

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1961-OMEGA-S...172768?hash=item5696432ee0:g:OdMAAOSwWxNYwdgTPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

There isn't much information on it. But ive just been looking at the seller and the there seems to be some bids on it.

Thanks a lot!

G

11. DON Mar 19, 2017

Dial is poor condition and no movement image, so a pass on this one also.

DON

12. hamster Kung Fu Hamster rules! Mar 19, 2017