Forums Latest Members

Newbie To Omega And Watch Collections In General. Oh Well You Have To Start Some Where

1. Cr4wsh Oct 16, 2012

Hi All,

Nice to be invited to the forum.....
    I wonder if I can throw a question out there...
    After owning a Tag Carrera for 4 years, I decided to part company to raise some funds for a new watch...
    I have approx £3K burning a whole in my pocket.
    The Movie geek within me is suggesting the SMpc Bond 50 watch. I love the watch and I love the bond brand so its a natural choice. However I take on board the comments that Bond wouldn't wear this watch and I should opt for the "standard" SMpc.
    I do believe the dial with 007 is a little more subtle than the marketing pics portray.

However I have an open mind and welcome the feedback of the much more experienced forum.

I hope this to be the start of my "collection" and I want to get off to a good one. YOu suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Steve

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 16, 2012

I would actually start with a Speedmaster Professional then

3. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 16, 2012

Or a good used SMP 2254, which is more "Bond-like" and usually available for about£1500

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 16, 2012

The black Planet Ocean 8500 is a really nice option too, you'll find one for under 3000 quid, its the model of watch that Daniel Craig is actually wearing in the new film Skyfall (not a limited edition but the same production model) and it has a truly exceptional movement in it, along with a displayback, and a rather elegant and uncomplicated dial.

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 16, 2012

+1

6. Cr4wsh Oct 17, 2012

Thanks All,

I do have a preference of the Seamaster over the Speedmaster series at this point.
    However in time I would like to think about owning a speedmaster moon watch. Very nice.

dsio, your suggestion certainly has put me in a spin. Im really like your suggestion.
    I have an appointment at my local AD on Friday. Im going to have a look at the bond 50, SMp, and the planet ocean 8500.

Watch this space, I shall report back.

Appreciate your time and guidance guys/gals, thank you

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 17, 2012

If you budget can stand it, then I would also go with the Planet Ocean 8500.

8. rambo47 Oct 17, 2012

While the Speedmaster is the quintessential Omega model, I have always had a preference for the Seamasters. Partly because all the little dials and tiny face markings on the Speedy are less legible for my tired old eyes. I also like the clean/simple look of the Seamaster.

I just ordered the rubber strap for my Planet Ocean (45.5mm) Seamaster along with the deployment clasp (black strap with orange stitching). Can't wait! There's a pretty fancy-pants mall near me with a dedicated Omega Boutique, along with an Orologio store and a Tourbillon store "coming soon." I may never leave that mall!

Tejinator likes this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 17, 2012

I love Speedmasters, my cal 321 is my favorite watch at present, but you have to keep a few things in mind with them, they're not designed for water use. Technically its 50M water resistant on a new Speedmaster, that doesn't mean you should go swimming with it, Speedys are just designed for heavy use and abuse, but in a dry environment. They're also a perfect second watch due to not having date and being very easy and fast to set. In terms of a daily beater, or main watch, the PO 8500 is bombproof, 600M water resistance means it can take anything you can throw at it, the entire watch bracelet is brushed, which makes it EXTREMELY easy to maintain, if you scratch it, you can brush it right out, while the Speedmaster bracelet and the Bond bracelets have brushed and polished alternating links which require expert or professional polishing.

You can literally get scratches out of a PO using a scotch brite pad or a fibreglass touchup pen in seconds. It also has a ceramic bezel that is near indestructible, and a movement that has proven itself to be among the toughest and most reliable automatics on the market. As your first and main Omega, the PO 8500 is really the flagship sports model.

The Speedy, definitely should be your second watch :)

Tejinator likes this.
  10. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Oct 17, 2012

The Planet Ocean is the best watch in Omega's range right now, in my opinion, and that magnificent movement it uses raises it above the significantly more expensive Rolex Sub Date (which is probably its closest rival). It's a bit less shiny, has a bit more wrist presence, and, as you like the Bond connection, the one that is being worn in Skyfall. If you don't get anywhere with your AD, drop me a line, and I can put you in contact with the dealership I used to work for, they'll look after you well :thumbsup:

Tejinator and dsio like this.
  11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 17, 2012

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 17, 2012

I love my Planet Ocean 2500, but wish I could get that bezel for it. ;)

PO11.jpg

Tejinator and Watchcrazy like this.
  13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 17, 2012

You know something, the best practical upgrade the 8500 has over the 2500 in my opinion is actually the crown and HE valve, the new design is far easier and chunkier to grip for winding and setting than the old.

14. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Oct 17, 2012

The shorter clasp can help with sizing too :thumbsup:

15. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Oct 17, 2012

A couple of pictures to whet your appetite...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Watchcrazy likes this.
  16. rambo47 Oct 17, 2012

Here's my Seamaster Planet Ocean. It originally had the orange bezel but I had it changed to black when I sent the watch for service.

Seamaster.jpg

Privateday7 and dsio like this.
  17. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 17, 2012

While the orange bezel PO has a macho and partying appeal, your combination of black bezel and orange number perfectly fit a sophisticated taste. Subtle, dressy but you can maintain diving visibility. Good job .....

18. Cr4wsh Oct 18, 2012

Wow, my first impressions of this forum is a real good one.
    I appreciate the vast opinions of the audience, who are clearly very passionate about omega's and watches in general.
    Its certainly very subjective, but all opinions just get the grey cells flowing on the watch i would opt for.
    I am swaying towards the PO 8500 with black bezel and silver numerals. However I just need to sort out selling the wife to justify the additional expenditure. ;) They do appear to be somewhat more than the SMp Bond 50. This time tomorrow I will be in the AD trying these beauties on. I am sure I will be leaving with one of these watches on my wrist.
    I will endeavor to get some pics posted.
    I did treat myself to a new watch box to hold 10 watches!!! I think I maybe getting a little ahead of myself. oh well it should last me a while.
    Just thinking ahead and raising a slightly new question. What are the thoughts regarding Modern over Vintage, is it personal preference, what are your views on this. Do collectors opt for a particular era of watch making or do you bounce throughout the ages of omega's and/or others?
    Apologies for the caliber of my questions it is only this past few months where watch collecting and understanding the "making" processes has really intrigued me. Im sure the questions will improve over time !
    And finally.....
    Just out of interest what is the backgrounds of the forum members here. Im assuming a mixture of avid collectors and people within the watch selling / manufacturing industry.

Cheers All

Steve

19. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 18, 2012

Hi Steve,
    You can see a bit about who we all are in theIntroductions thread, which is in the Open Discussion forum (http://omegaforums.net/index.php?threads/The-great-big-introductions-thread.20/) as well as a thread about what else we are all into, apart from watches http://omegaforums.net/index.php?threads/So,-what-are-you-guys-in-to-aside-from-watches?.402/

(. Most of us here seem to prefer the vintage stuff - which is why I hang out here rather than the various other watch forums. Why? Two reasons:
    - price, I got this for $300 http://omegaforums.net/index.php?threads/Arrived-In-The-Mail.2115/ and this for $255 http://omegaforums.net/index.php?threads/My-September-Arrival.1896/
    - style preference. I like the neat, clean, simple lines of the vintage watches. I don't like the busy-ness of some of the modern watches, not to mention the size and weight (I feel like I am doing weights when I wear a PO!)

Daniel

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 18, 2012

Few different questions to answer, firstly in terms of vintage, the golden era of watchmaking is accepted to be from around 1950 to the late 1960s. For sports watches you can extend that into the early to mid 1970s. I own mainly vintage, and a lot of the guys here are vintage nerds, but they all do have one modern watch at least in their collection, as vintage almost universally means zero water resistance. You also need to take more care in general with a vintage piece as they have plexiglass (plastic) crystals instead of sapphire.

So while vintage Omegas are brilliant, awesome, and well worth buying, the Planet Ocean 8500 isn't just a nice watch to wear, its an extremely tough, waterproof, and capable watch that you can consider your go-to daily wear piece. Once you have that all-weather watch, you can look at a vintage Speedmaster or Constellation to wear when you know you're wearing a suit and staying dry or not doing anything physically strenuous.

In terms of our membership, its probably 98% collectors and owners, ranging from people that have one Omega they inherited to guys that are diehard collectors with several watch boxes full of toys, maybe 2% watchmakers and dealers. Actually the only dealer I can think of off the top of my head is X350 XJR, who doesn't fit the profile of the stereotypical evil watch dealer, I'd buy off him if he had something I wanted.