Forums Latest Members

Newbie taken advantage by veteran member!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GATSBY1 Sep 16, 2017

Hello , I recently joined the group in hopes of finding out info on a watch ( Heuer 2447s) I had and received a reply from a member who confirmed the watch and offered to buy it for 3500 . I sent him the watch and he then told me that it had problems that the photos didn't show so he would be sending back. Since I didn't have any knowledge about the process of fixing it I took him on his word that the watch was worth 2000 . A couple days later a member contacted me want to buy it and after hearing the details felt I had been taken advantage of and told me that parting the watch out would have brought a better price and to try and get it back .I contacted the buyer informing him that he had not been fair and to return the watch for his money back and he has refused so far saying that I should of done more research and not trusted him and to stop bothering other members of this forum about the whole thing . Anyways my family needed as much as that watch could bring and he knew I was in a pinch! Any advice on this would help a lot . Thanks

2. tyrantlizardrex Sep 16, 2017

So... you sold a watch for a price you were happy with at the time, then gave the person you sold it to back some money... and now you feel you should get more money, or the watch back?

shawn.dww likes this.
  3. ChrisN Sep 16, 2017

The only guy with knowledge who had the watch in hand to check it over was the one who paid 2000 (US?). The other guy hasn't seen it but thinks it's worth more - how much more? If it's 10% then write it off as no-one knows the prices that accurately. If it's two times then it sounds like you should have asked the value on here first. There really isn't a lot you can do here as you sold it for a price, rightly or wrongly.

Can we know what was wrong with it to reduce the price so much? I don't know the prices of these but in two minutes searching, I found this and don't see anything that low. I don't know the exact model though.

Cheers, Chris

4. tyrantlizardrex Sep 16, 2017

Reading the only other thread you created, I'm assuming this is the watch: https://omegaforums.net/threads/new-member-needs-help-heuer-carrera.62984/

Sounds like a couple of people there told you to do some research before doing anything, and told you it was quite valuable?

Ultimately, this is between you, and the person you sold the watch to... if you agreed a price and then agreed to give money back... I'm not sure what you expect to happen?

Thoroughly confused...

Rodmar and R3D9 like this.
  5. micampe Sep 16, 2017

From one of the responses in your original post https://omegaforums.net/threads/new-member-needs-help-heuer-carrera.62984/

It was pretty clear from this and other responses that you needed to be careful, and yet you just accepted what the first person you don’t know told you. I understand you might be in a pinch and this person might not have been nice and took advantage of the situation (no way to know if they were truthful without more details), but you just went off and ignored the advice you were given and just took the first offer.

Edited Sep 16, 2017
    Rodmar, GuiltyBoomerang, IDXM and 7 others like this.
  6. Cad290 Sep 16, 2017

People agree to getting swindled all the time...in my opinion part of the blame goes to the swindler and part goes to the swindlee. Asking for $1500 back was very shitty, but as others said you agreed to it and there's really nothing to be done. Be more careful next time

R3D9 likes this.
  7. R3D9 Sep 16, 2017

Was the friend who originally "gave" you the watch aware of its value? Reading your original thread, it sounds like you weren't the only one who failed to realize the value of this watch and naively let it go.

While I agree (assuming your version of the story is accurate) the collector who you sold the watch did not behave 100% honourably, he was most certainly acting within his rights and used the knowledge he had attained through research and study to acquire a watch for a great price.

Sorry, but this kind of thing happens all the time and ultimately it is on you to do your due diligence before selling.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  8. ChrisN Sep 16, 2017

Very interested to know what he said was wrong with it. Looking at that other thread, excluding crown and stem, it looks complete.... Case, dial and hands look good and hairspring looks fine. Hmmm... bear in mind that your photos aren't great.

Chris

cristos71 and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 16, 2017

Well, there are several issues here:

1- you managed to circumvent the 200 post rule for sales. That rule is very useful to both buyers and sellers since you probably would have gained knowledge that would help you sell better. Either way, that's one shady point against you.
    2- you where advised of the value of your watch and steps to take and disregarded that in order to make a quick sale. 1 naif point against you
    3- a senior forum member jumped at the opportunity and bought it, then re-priced it and you agreed. - semi shady point against him and naif point against you.
    4- not sure if you ever did contact your friend to tell him the watch he gave you is worth thousands....if you did not then that's a major shady point against you....he is your friend after all, not just a guy on the other side of a screen.

So, you broke rules and crossed a line to make a quick buck, and someone did the same to you. I'd say Karma is a bitch!

On the good side you didn't pay anything for it and just made 2g from a toss of present from a friend. That's 2g more you had before. Congratulations.

....PS.....I really wonder how your friend would feel if he read this thread.

10. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Sep 16, 2017

I think this was bad behavior from the member. Guys come on. Hes new. He doesnt know the same details as others. He asked help out of confidence from this great community and he trusted the member. The member took advantage of his situation. I think whats right he gets the 1500 back. Or even 1k back. Out of being an honest person. Just my opinion.

11. Cad290 Sep 16, 2017

I can't believe he didn't call out the member that lowballed him

12. WatchVaultNYC Sep 16, 2017

I agree that the OP should have known better. But if the buyer told the seller "not to bother other members of the forum", this is acknowledgment that buyer is not too proud of his actions.

13. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 16, 2017

There's sense on this, but see it this way; he asked for advice, was given advice, did not follow the advice.... Then complaint about it.

Also, he thought he was taking advantage of the forum by selling outside of the rules.... He got taken advantage from....karma

Not saying there isn't some question as to the buyers behavior, but maybe his assessment is right (as the only expert that has had the watch in hand) and the partial refund was legit and warranted. The price assessment given by the second potential buyer is mute.

14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 16, 2017

Fair

Foo2rama and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  15. ChrisN Sep 16, 2017

If I were the OP, I'd point this thread out to the buyer. If he reads it, surely, he'll come in with an explanation of what was wrong and why he reduced the offer. Better this than have someone slated openly who doesn't even know this thread exists.

I think it's unfair as well to the seller but, he did seem to circumvent some rules as noted above and didn't do due diligence at all. Really, you can get an idea of the prices in 2 minutes and he was told it as well.

To the OP, at least copy and paste what the seller said was wrong and perhaps everyone will feel it was a reasonable price after all. Just remove his name.

Cheers, Chris

16. kreyke Sep 16, 2017

I agree that it was wrong of him to circumvented the sales policy. But I think the member shouldn't have taken advantage of a newbie.

The member asked $1500 back for fixing the watch. Unless the member can prove that the $1500 went exclusively to parts (not cost of service, new crystal, NOS crown or to fix any problems visible in the photos), I would say the member took advantage of a newbie.

EDIT: in fact, on hindsight, the member should have known what he was getting into. Unless there's proof of service or guarantee from the seller, I don't think it is fair to claim any repair or service cost. So really, I don't feel like the buyer can claim any service cost unless the OP guaranteed it's function.

Edited Sep 16, 2017
    frederico, Atalien2005 and Rumar89 like this.
  17. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Sep 16, 2017

I agree he broke the rules. But to ask for a refund of 1500. Like come on. Thats taking advantage. Im not talking about the initial price. I am talking about how he took advantage of the newbie and said ohh. The pics didnt show this. I need more of a refund. Knowing that this guy doesnt have much knowledge in this. I think 3.5 is fair for it. Considering its missing some parts.

18. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 16, 2017

If he's a senior member he will spot this thread in a second.

19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 16, 2017

I wouldn't have paid 3.5 for it. 2.5, maybe 3....thats just me. But I know that's not the point you're making. For sure there is a gray area there.

20. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 16, 2017

I'm disappointed in both the OP for not taking the advice he solicited and the buyer for a breach of trust. This forum is all about trust. One bad apple......

Jonatan, Atalien2005, adi4 and 14 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.