Forums Latest Members
  1. smoker Jul 22, 2018

Hello & Good Morning!

I am a sailor & bought this watch in haste (as I needed something reliable to wear on the bridge), before I stumbled onto this forum. I live in NYC.

It's a Constellation, pics attached. I noticed the enlarged and broken/chipped crown hole. I was already aware that the date quickset works sometimes, but was not aware that it was in such a bad shape. I cannot change the date at all & just wondering what to do, especially as I leave for my ship on the 30th, and we go through time zones, back & forth, every alternate day.

The advice that I need is:

1. Can the chipped crown area be fixed, if I give the watch to, say Omega or Watch Repair & Co (www.watchrepairco.com). Or, if somebody could suggest someone better, that'd be highly appreciated.
    2. Are these watches water resistant/proof?

Thanks for bearing with me and helping me out. I did try to to go through several posts, looking for some answers, but with no search function, I gave up.

Cheers

s-l64.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l16001.jpg s-l16002.jpg s-l16003.jpg s-l16004.jpg s-l16005.jpg s-l16006.jpg s-l16007.jpg s-l16008.jpg

alam likes this.
  2. smoker Jul 22, 2018

UPDATE: I got the quickset to finally work. The day/date matches and the watch is keeping time.

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 22, 2018

As far as the watch condition itself , there are a few problems.
    The holes you mention are between the case and the bezel. The Crown is the part that you wind the watch with.
    The holes look like someone may have been trying to pry the bezel off, wrong way to do it.......
    The watch needs service by a professional watchmaker. The back of the watch shows considerable corrosion and, even with a new gasket, I don't believe this watch will ever be waterproof at all.

Foo2rama, GuiltyBoomerang and smoker like this.
  4. smoker Jul 22, 2018

Thanks for the reply.

I fly out on the 24th of this month, on a newly US flagged military supply ship. One of the reason why I bought this watch was to avoid the crap a quartz watch goes, especially with sea spray and moisture.

Will it help, after I come back, to send the watch to a good case restoration person? I am also a bit worried about magnetism (the bridge is full of electro/magnetic instruments), given the present condition!

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 22, 2018

Take a look around the crown in the third photo.

6. smoker Jul 22, 2018

I noticed that too. I figured that Omega or a good service center would be able to fix that. Bugs me a bit.

What would it indicate, though?

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 22, 2018

Highly recommend a Seiko SKX for maritime use. I believe amazon can overnight them. Go rubber strap if you feel you don’t have time to get it sized.

gdupree likes this.
  8. smoker Jul 22, 2018

Thanks, but that would mean spending more money, sleeping on the couch and facing a pissed off wife, which is unappealing.

PS: It's too thick and looks ugly. The Seiko 5 is more my style.

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 22, 2018

Ahh, just was immediately drawn to the holes around the Bezel, well I guess the crown area too is in poor shape.

smoker likes this.
  10. larryganz The cable guy Jul 22, 2018

The Seiko SKX can be 20-30 seconds a day off atomic time, each day! If they are within 5-15 seconds a day you are fortunate.

Why not, for the same amount of money, go for a Swiss quartz 200M WR watch like this Luminox? I'd had a steel cased Luminox Colormark 3157 for the past 4 years that's been absolutely reliable, and legible day or night with the tritium gas tubes to help it glow at night.

https://www.amazon.com/Luminox-Carb...6358540011&psd=1&keywords=luminox+watches+men

Screenshot 2018-07-22 13.35.01.png

I would save the constellation for when you want to have a dressier watch after it is serviced, or sell it, or return it.

smoker likes this.
  11. alam Jul 22, 2018

the magnifying glass on the top right corner is your search function..

that's when the thought of a six-month sea duty/deployment starts to feel real good :)

Screen Shot 2018-07-22 at 2.49.42 PM.png
    kkt, smoker and Taddyangle like this.
  12. smoker Jul 22, 2018

I guess then, upon my return, the watch goes to a good conditioner, who will also service the watch. Any suggestions?

13. smoker Jul 22, 2018

Starts on July 25th, hehe

14. smoker Jul 22, 2018

I have a Baume & Mercier 18ct for a dress watch. I was specifically looking for something to wear at sea, and especially when going ashore.

I doubt that I'll be able to recover the costs after bringing it up to the mark and resell it. I guess the 1st option, after servicing, seems the best.

15. smoker Jul 22, 2018

Thanks. Looked at them and the automatics are a bit expensive.

1. When you're continuously at sea, going through time zones, back and forth, all the days feel the same. (The joke here is that, each day at sea is a Monday, the day you get off a ship is a Friday and each day at home is a Saturday). Hence, the day indicator is a bit important (after some time, you just stop looking at calendars, to preserve your sanity from thinking about home & marking your time at sea, all the time.), but, I still need the day to write logs :)

2. I have been stranded several times when the battery went kaput in the middle of the sea . Hence, my insistence (given my last experience) on a reliable automatic and Omega, fit the bill (Experience: My reliefs coming to the bridge, looking at the clock, taking out their analogs and adjusting the time, while I'm stewing for being relieved late).

It's just that the sailor in me demands perfection.

Cheers

16. ulackfocus Jul 22, 2018

Squids should not buy vintage watches and expect them to be waterproof, let alone perfect. They'll be NFG in short order. I think that Seiko 5 you mentioned earlier in the thread is your best option. Just buy it, stow it in your gear, and don't unpack it until you get underway so the wife never sees it.

Foo2rama and Marty McDawg like this.
  17. Toishome Jul 22, 2018

Reading the title of the post I thought for a second you looking for a date :D

smoker likes this.
  18. time flies Jul 22, 2018

Seiko
    Solar g shock
    Citizen eco drive

have fun
    kfw

Foo2rama likes this.
  19. smoker Jul 22, 2018

I found the date, just looking to make the date "perfect" :)

20. smoker Jul 22, 2018

1. I already bought it, and, squid or not, I don't want to accept defeat.
    2. The bank statement/credit card bill will be in the mail, AFTER I leave. She's is going to find out, either ways (someone has to pay the bills).

As much as I appreciate the "alternate reality" a la Conway (kinda late as money has been spent), A) Please give me advice that solves the holes and brings back the original gloss back, and B) Considering that there are sailors aboard this forum, Is it advisable to wear it at sea, in the current form? Pretty sure that this watch is magnetized.

My humblest apologies if I rubbed anyone the wrong way.

Cheers