Forums Latest Members
  1. antparker Oct 24, 2016

Hi Guys,

Newbie to the site here- finding some great information, so many thanks!
    I am looking at purchasing my first Omega, or dare I say it Longines watch. I have various other watches currently, but nothing truly vintage or high quality.
    I will be buying to both invest and to wear… long term I would like to start a small collection.

Have spent some time searching and have come up with a few questions, if you could perhaps point me in the right direction please?

Firstly the Crystal- I see some watches advertised with a ‘brand new crystal’, while others have an original but good condition crystal etc. what is a crystal and does having a new crystal de- value a vintage watch?

I have seen some for sale with a box and papers- to me this is more attractive as it provides some more history behind the watch, but is this very important from a collectors or investors point of view?

Finally, and please forgive me if this is a silly question,

How do Omega Watches Rank in Terms of quality/ value, or can they even be easily be ranked? For example is a Seamaster Deville Worth more than a Seamaster (Whats the difference?) or is a speedmaster the most valuable / sought after?

Is there anywhere a guide which shows what the different names and terminologies mean, I understand that with time it can all be learned, but wondered if there is anywhere a guide which will help my learning.

I Hope this makes sense and you guys might be able to point me in the right direction please?

2. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Oct 24, 2016

pezzodicento likes this.
  3. antparker Oct 26, 2016

Thanks Very much for your response Jwit, I gather from the silence of most members, a true 'omega guide' as such does not exist?

I also now appreciate my stupidity when asking what a crystal is! however would still be interested to understand if an original crystal is more desirable than a new crystal.

many thanks

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 26, 2016

Its too broad a church for a single guide I'm afraid, Omega has made a huge number of watch lines.

5. Ravineman Oct 26, 2016

The Omega Guide you seek is unwritten. You need to put in the time, if you choose to do so. No one is going to spoon feed you answers as this is not high school. The knowledge you seek is typed here by the members. There are many here that are experts who have spent YEARS learning. collecting, and buying and selling all sorts of watches. They will answer if and when they choose to give you some of their time.

Hkolka likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Oct 26, 2016

Alright, I'll give you a few for free. After that, you do your own homework.

You can say Longines here all you want. Look:

Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines Longines

See? I didn't get struck by lightning - nor even a static shock. Longines is a well respected brand here and we have a separate subform for their watches.

If you are looking at watches as an investment, you should be extremely careful to buy the best conditioned specimens you can. Most will tell you that watches are not a good investment and generally that's correct - especially if buying modern watches new because you get killed on the depreciation. A few examples in mint condition are better than a couple dozen average pieces.

The crystal is the glass covering the dial and hands. Original is always better if it's in good shape, but not too many collectors will worry about a replaced crystal if it's been done properly during the course of a service and the correct OEM part is used. Crystals, especially the older acrylic / plastic ones, are wear items to most.

Box and papers with a vintage watch are almost a bragging point, and therefore do usually increase the value. Box and papers with a modern watch are even more important to many, but don't necessarily affect value as much.

Way too many models to get involved in that, and some models even changed their station over the course of their production. For instance, early Genèves are very sought after, but by the 70's they were lower-middle ranked in the Omega scheme.

I'm stopping now as I saw a Speedmaster question.

7. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 26, 2016

I have to concur…. LONGINES LONGINES LONGINES
    (by the way, sorry for thread drift, I'm just noticing the font here makes a pretty good 1940 LONGINES dial logo…)

GuiltyBoomerang and Jwit like this.
  8. Clibka Oct 26, 2016

Welcome! Good thoughtful questions, you have a lot to, and will, learn if you hang around and put in the time. Have a great one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Kazyole Oct 26, 2016

1. Crystal: For most people not a huge deal if you’ve got a newer replacement crystal. Doesn’t really affect value.

2. Box and papers affect value, but it’s not something that all buyers value. Personally I don’t really care about having the box and papers because I wear all my watches and don’t like the idea of paying extra for something that’s not wearable, but some buyers really like the idea of having the full set.

3. Not that I’m aware of. Speedmater101 has a great price list for speedies, but as that’s my primary area of interest within omega, that’s about all I know

10. nvrp813 Oct 26, 2016

Please do not take this the wrong way, but anyone who asks what a crystal is should probably avoid the vintage watch scene. There are way too many fakes out there, selling in the thousands of dollars, that are not worth $10 to a serious collector.

However, if it were me (and I don't know your budget), I would look at a 90's or newer Speedmaster. They will always be collectible. There are reputable sellers on this forum who sell 3590.50, or later 145.022, for very fair prices. Most will disclose if any parts have been changed or if what is being offered is all original. Also, and I have 0 affiliation with them, but hqmilton has a very nice selection on their site and do their due diligence to make sure what they offer is quality. While the prices are higher than one would pay trawling the forums or eBay, at least you can trust what you get.

Good luck and please post a follow-up on what you decide. There are very helpful people on this forum who can help.

11. antparker Oct 27, 2016

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for all your replies.
    I apologies for my apparent stupid question- asking what a crystal is!

I really appreciate your welcome and your comments- also the guys commenting about Longines, they are actually growing on me the more i look....

I appreciate i will have to do a lot of homework yet, but was just looking for some information to kick start my studies....

Interesting regarding the crystal and useful to know... is the crown treated in a similar manner- are replaced crowns not the end of the world, or is this seen as a more critical part of the watch and therefore frowned upon if replaced?

I will have a look at some of the sites mentioned above, however its really the items from the 50's and 60's which i am most interested in currently.

P.S before purchasing, i would most likely seek the advice of you guys on hthis here forum if thats acceptable.. it seems as though a few people post 'should i buy this' type posts.

Thanks again!

kingsrider likes this.
  12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 27, 2016

Or as the Aussies say it, LONGINES LONGINES LONGINES Oi Oi Oi

STANDY, mozartman and Syrte like this.
  13. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 27, 2016

I couldn't disagree more. There are many things in life that interest us. To learn more, don't we all start with the most basic of questions to better understand what we are seeing. Take a look at this and some of the fog may lift.
    https://www.hodinkee.com/watch101

antparker and Syrte like this.
  14. lillatroll Oct 27, 2016

I would start with the what are you wearing thread to give you an idea of the different models of omega watches available. If you look long enough it will give you an idea of what you like. When I joined this forum I wanted to buy every bloody watch I saw, but after a while my interest in watches focused on watches from the early to.mid 70s and apart from one modern SM300 co axial my entire collection is made of watches from the early 70s. As far buying goes, buy the best example you can afford, don't be afraid to ask for advice here and try to be patient. The best examples of any model are likely to retain their value but don't let that be your focus, your watch should be an investment in terms of the smile it brings to your face when you put it on.

ossfm and antparker like this.
  15. nvrp813 Oct 27, 2016

The point of the post was not to insult. It was merely to give a little guidance to avoid a costly bad decision. I also followed up that remark with a recommended trusted retailer where one, who might not have the expertise of a seasoned collector, might find a vintage timepiece. Having an understanding of the basics is paramount in making wise decisions.

kingsrider likes this.
  16. ulackfocus Oct 27, 2016

Incorrect replacement crowns are not received very well, but at least most models of correct crowns can still be found. Some are as rare as hen's teeth though, and only experience (or asking a veteran of the brand) can tell you which is easy and which is unobtanium.

17. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 27, 2016

I also beg to differ... There are some people ncluding myself whose discovery of vintage watches is quite recent yet very positive. Two years ago I had no idea what "crystal" meant... a year later I took a horology workshop and learned to dismount a movement and put it back together (with a lot of help), and I already had learned quite a lot. It depends how much you really want to learn, and how cautious you are before you spend.

Jwit and kingsrider like this.
  18. nvrp813 Oct 27, 2016

Obviously no one is born knowing what a crystal is. These things take time and effort. My advice, poorly worded I am finding out, was to learn these intricacies BEFORE making the jump and purchasing what you might think is a mint condition 50's Seamaster. Please accept my humble apology to everyone who took issue with my original post.

al128, Ravineman and Jwit like this.
  19. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Oct 27, 2016

No apology necessary. My comment was not meant to scold anymore than yours was meant to insult. It's all good!:thumbsup:

al128 likes this.
  20. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Oct 27, 2016

Ditto here.

al128 likes this.