Forums Latest Members
  1. The Modernist Nov 18, 2017

Hi - this is my first post so please forgive all the questions, I've enjoyed looking up answers on the forum but would like the most up to date advice any of you can kindly give me. I recently bought a Dynamic automatic on ebay for £500 (I've uploaded a few pics) after seeing a friend wearing one and enjoying its beautiful elliptical case styling. I studied the pictures hard on ebay re the case and dial and I'm confident it isn't a redial or fake (I hope you agree...). Annoyingly when I received it, I found that it runs about an hour fast so it obviously needs a service, which wasn't mentioned by the seller, but I'd factored in it'd very probably need one.
    So I've got a few questions I'd really appreciate some help with. Given it's not, comparatively, a very expensive watch who would be best to service it out of the ones I've seen recommended on this forum: Ryte Time, Christian the Watch Guy, Swiss Time Services (probably far too high end & pricy for this type of Omega?), Simon Freese, Time Restoration (Brighton). I wondered what I should expect to pay for servicing this with its very fast running. I also wondered if I should keep the crystal that has a very feint floating Omega symbol, do the replacement ones have this, and perhaps it makes no meaningful difference anyway? I'm less concerned about value but more about doing right by a nice looking older watch. Also the sunburst brushing on the case has a heavy impact scratch just after the 10 o'clock position - can this be refinished maintaining the brushed sunburst effect by any of the people above, or should I just leave it alone. Any answers very greatly appreciated. Looking forward to wearing this....and being able to see the correct time! Cheers.

IMG_0647.JPG IMG_0649.jpg IMG_0652.JPG IMG_0653.JPG IMG_0654.JPG IMG_0656.JPG IMG_0657.jpg
    TexOmega, Vitezi and Fordex like this.
  2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Nov 18, 2017

I love Dynamics! Congrats on your new acquisition. These are great wearing watches.

Fast running is, as I am lead to believe, caused either by a magnetized hairspring on the balance or sticky oil on the spring. Either way a service should fix it.

The Omega symbol is on genuine Omega crystals.

I personally wouldn't bother with the refinish. That ding looks pretty deep and may require a lot of metal removal to fix it. Then you wouldn't wear the watch for fear of dinging it.

Here's a shot of some of mine:

Dynamics_022217 5498.jpg

TexOmega, Vitezi and The Modernist like this.
  3. lillatroll Nov 18, 2017

you could try stefan, he is a member here. He serviced my dynamic a few months ago, it was around 250 quid. I send any of my watches that needs servicing to him.

The Modernist and mikechi22 like this.
  4. Noddyman Nov 18, 2017

Hi, I don’t think your case looks too bad, still has its radial lines, I have seen much worse/polished examples. You can get these refinished but I expect it would be quite costly. Whereabouts in UK are you? I know a couple of guys in the North West for servicing if any use? £180 - £250 for standard service.

The Modernist and Foo2rama like this.
  5. mikechi22 Nov 18, 2017

I don’t know the gentleman personally, but I’ve enjoyed reading about his progress training to be a watchmaker. It sounds like this Dynamic project might represent an intersection of interests. His name is ChrisN and he certainly seems like a good egg. I think he’s in England too. Good luck with your Dynamic! I’ve bought four and they’re all waiting for me on the other side of the Pacific! I’ll have them in a week, in fact!

lando and The Modernist like this.
  6. The Modernist Nov 18, 2017

Great thanks, I'm in West Yorkshire.

7. Noddyman Nov 18, 2017

Edit: comment removed.

Edited Jul 5, 2019
    The Modernist likes this.
  8. ChrisN Nov 18, 2017

That's very kind of you Mike and I often work on older Omegas. If @The Modernist sends me a PM, I'll pass a link to my website to give an idea of the work that I do. Hope your watches turn up and and are all as you expect:).

I can't talk about the others but both STS and Simon Freese have excellent reputations. It doesn't matter the value of the watch in this instance, the effort in servicing the movement is essentially the same so, choose your watchmaker to suit yourself and what you can see of their work. Like @ahsposo, I'd leave the case alone for this watch.

Some interesting watches in this thread:thumbsup:

Good luck, Chris

9. Basset Hound Nov 18, 2017

I would recommend using a repairer who is an accredited member of the British Horological Institute. I’ve used Robert Loomes in Lincolnshire and Cyril Jennings in Lancashire who I can personally highly recommend and who have both serviced Dynamics for me.

10. Noddyman Nov 18, 2017

+1 for Cyril he’s the other guy I use. Cheap as well:)

11. The Modernist Nov 18, 2017

Thank you!

12. Basset Hound Nov 18, 2017

Your welcome. The great thing about this forum is being able to get help.
    Good luck with your Dynamic which looks like a nice example. I love Dynamics. They are great to collect and still affordable. I’ve just bought my 14th! So beware you can get addicted!!

Vitezi, The Modernist and mikechi22 like this.
  13. The Modernist Nov 19, 2017

Two wrists and two ankles so four is my limit.....but maybe this is how it all starts...

Vitezi likes this.
  14. Vitezi Nov 19, 2017

I think we need pictures of all of them to validate this claim...:)

STANDY likes this.
  15. Basset Hound Nov 19, 2017

6BE2B417-F9F3-47B5-A0CB-77D7CF2C9FC6.jpeg Happy to oblige. I know there’s only 13...number 14 hasn’t arrived yet!
    4FA77466-0513-45EE-AB9D-36BDF7ECF868.jpeg
    What other dial/case combinations have any of you guys got? It would be great to see any other examples.

16. tdn-dk Nov 19, 2017

My Dynamics :)

IMG_9184.JPG

17. Basset Hound Nov 19, 2017

Nice!

18. Paedipod Nov 19, 2017

was mine....stolen by Mrs. P. IMG_2406.JPG

lillatroll, TexOmega and CdnWatchDoc like this.
  19. TexOmega Nov 19, 2017

Green

bracelet link Omega part # 114ST3029 $36 Ofrie 2016 added one link.JPG

20. lillatroll Nov 19, 2017

Here is mine with a racing dial. The seller thinks it's a service dial. I have it on the bracelet. This is an aftermarket comfor strap.(Sellers picture)
    108443-6252173675854a0372482159f81d03cb.jpg

The Modernist and TexOmega like this.