Forums Latest Members

newbie question : why cant I post to WTB ?

1. RonaldNoorhoff Sep 27, 2018

what do I have to do to to be able to post there ? I've read all the forum rules that i could find, but didnt not find it.
    Ronald

2. Noddyman Sep 27, 2018

3. RonaldNoorhoff Oct 1, 2018

Thanks noddyman,
    So the rule is : "Minimum post count of 200 posts is now required to post in ANY of the sales or WTB forums. "
    so I better start posting then and maybe in a year or so I can be worthy of your "real" members attention in the WTB section ....
    very exclusive club you guys are running here :)

4. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 1, 2018

Every one of us here was in the same boat you are.

Its about allowing us getting to know who you are FIRST before any money exchanges hands, as this is primarily a watch enthusiasts forum, its not a sales platform (but has one as an afterthought) -> chances are good if one posts a lot of cr@p to get to 200, they won't be so successful in these fora either.
    Sure, mods could let any peruvian scammer just sign up and earn his bread by duping the good folks of this forum ... ::facepalm1::

5. RonaldNoorhoff Oct 1, 2018

Thanks, understood

eugeneandresson likes this.
  6. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 1, 2018

To be fair, there is possibly less potential for scamming from a noob when buying rather than selling. I would be tempted to allow WTBs from new members personally but I may be being niaive and there could be threats I haven't considered. Of course there would be then be nothing stopping non participating dealers and bottom feeeders spamming WTB and filling the forum with junk. Perhaps it is better as it is!

7. Co-axial Oct 1, 2018

nonuffinkbloke and Noddyman like this.
  8. septentrio Oct 1, 2018

I understand the 200 posts rule for WTS, and think it is a good measure, but I think it's different for WTB, as you would need a good forum counterparty for that, and scamming would be less likely. Seller should ofcourse still do his homework on the buyer.

9. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 1, 2018

Some folk use WTB as a reverse 'safe' sales transaction. Others use it in looking for a very hard to find vintage part...I am sure a lot of folk get satisfaction in helping out a fellow collector with similar moral background by giving up something they spent a lot of energy in finding, as opposed to some <edit : insert nationality/planetary origin here> scammer who joined just to post a WTB as he is looking to build his next franken beast :) However, mods have neutralized it as of a few weeks ago...so, dem rulez iz dem rulez.

Anyhoo, just my $0.02...

Thanks OF for this space, and have a good day folks :thumbsup:

Edited Oct 1, 2018
    mr_yossarian, Gefa and padders like this.
  10. Gefa Oct 1, 2018

These strict rules are fine I think!! but ..it seems there are possibilities to sale watches on this forum with less than 100 posts??

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 1, 2018

Not any more.
    gatorcpa

12. Vaylalo Oct 1, 2018

What is the deal with Peruvian scammers? Why not Colombian scammers or Chilean scammers? Or French scammers? Or is just an expression?

Not complaining or accusing about anything, just asking :)

Eduardo

13. Davidt Oct 1, 2018

I think 200 posts should stand for WTB.

I'm fine with helping a collector out but I don't want to see the WTB page being filled with dealers and fly by night members looking for rare parts to turn a profit with zero contribution to the forum.

14. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 1, 2018

Nothing. Its just an (oft seen) example used for illustration purposes alone...but it implies all scammers from all nationalities of any race and from any planetary body ... so no harm meant towards any one of those in particular ...

Gefa likes this.
  15. Vaylalo Oct 1, 2018

I thought that was might be the case :thumbsup:. It is a funny expression though! :D

Edited Oct 1, 2018
  16. jimmyd13 Oct 1, 2018

Let's face it, the 200 post requirement not only serves to protect members here from post-and-fly scampers but also serves to protect the newbies. How many here would have happily overpaid for a "rare" part that turned out not to be that rare and also the wrong size; or, a well presented redial; maybe a well priced hesalite sandwich with a nice 861?

Settle in @RonaldNoorhoff . Read the forums; ask questions; contribute to the site and those 200 posts will tot up in no time. When you do hit that mark, you'll be in a more informed position to get what you need.

gemini4, Davidt, kingsrider and 3 others like this.
  17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 1, 2018

A rather large amount of Peruvians ( or just one doing it a lot ) have been listing expensive speedmaster ( even using members photos) over the last few years.

RawArcher and gemini4 like this.
  18. many Oct 1, 2018

There is a very high potential to scam using PayPal GS as a buyer. I've sold a few watches online and won't accept PayPal GS for that reason.

padders likes this.
  19. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 1, 2018

A fair point. When I have sold, if the buyer isn’t known to me or has no track record I have insisted on a bank transfer for this very reason. So far I have avoided the bad guys.

GordonL and mr_yossarian like this.
  20. many Oct 1, 2018

PayPal goods and services. When you transfer money using PayPal there are two options 1. Good and Services and 2. Friend and Family.

- Goods and Services offer buyer protection and PayPal charges a fee of 3% to use this service that is passed on to the seller.
    - Friends and Family is just a straight cash transfer.

The issue with using Good and Services is that it seems biased towards the buyer and an unscrupulous buyer can scam a seller out of his or her funds.