Forums Latest Members

Newbie Query: Seamaster's/Geneva's.....and now, Constellations!

1. UncleBatman Aug 30, 2016

Hi all.

Very long time lurker here, but just gaining the confidence to post for the first time.
    Am presently a Tag Carrera wearer, and finally have the funds to be able to start properly exploring a lifetime interest.

Have been looking around eBay and other websites for a number of weeks as I take the plunge into my first Omega. Am very excited by the vintage Seamasters and Genevas, but ultimately this is a watch I want to (very proudly!) wear, and obviously don't want to be ripped off. There's a very particular style that I'm interested in, and have found a Canadian seller (montre48) who has a number of pieces that have been serviced &/or cleaned/polished etc that I'm really interested in.

Link to some examples:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262588555257?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262591271187?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262594913928?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Naturally, am looking for any advice you guys would be able to provide, and hope you can assist in some way.

Hoping to become a much more vocal member of the forum from here on!

Thanks for your time.

fskywalker likes this.
  2. UncleBatman Aug 30, 2016

Can't believe I'm the one replying to my own thread - meant to originally post this last week, and now have come across another thread talking about a sale from the same trader.

The phrase Mumbai Special is about to be used by those in the know it would seem.........:(

3. WatchVaultNYC Aug 30, 2016

No problem with service/cleaned/polished, makes good daily wearers but the act of refinishing/refurbishing means they wont be collectors pieces ever. If this is not a concern then go ahead and buy.

Honest vintage Seamasters and Geneves can be found above and below the $500 mark and good buys

Joysimath, noelekal and UncleBatman like this.
  4. ConElPueblo Aug 30, 2016

There are two safe options.

The first is to spend hours reading up all you can find about old Omegas - I'll suggest you go to the earliest page in the "vintage omega watches" and work your way through the years. That'll enable you to make solid, qualified decisions on eBay and elsewhere.

The second is to watch the sales forum here. If a watch is incorrectly described it tends to get pointed out rather fast. Look at some of the older FS posts to get a feel for what sells quickly and at what prices...

Welcome on board, by the way :)

5. westmtn Aug 30, 2016

This is great advice.

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 30, 2016

This seller has good polishing and surface finishing skills as well as being a good photographer.

The items are correctly described (re-finished dials) but as stated above, they will never be collector items, however if you just want a nice looking shiny vintage watch........

thelinendial likes this.
  7. UncleBatman Aug 31, 2016

Appreciate your honest responses gents, thank you.
    I guess the polishing and re-finishing of vintage items isn't necessarily welcomed with open arms by the experts!.
    Having said that, I think as long as I can be as sure as I can be that the item is genuine Omega, I may well proceed - the "new looking" vintage certainly has that appeal for me.

Joysimath likes this.
  8. ConElPueblo Aug 31, 2016

The isssue here is that the "new looking" you look for isn't what the watch looked like when actually new! Polishing will remove facets and redialing will remove details and together distort the look. If you really wish to have a "lifetime interest" then these watches will most likely quickly become less than satisfying to own.

And it is not just an "experts" issue, this. A properly maintained, unabused vintage watch will be easier to sell once/if you tire of it and will be more likely to increase in value with time.

thelinendial and Joysimath like this.
  9. UncleBatman Sep 7, 2016

Back again after a short hiatus!

Amazing how my initial search for a very particular design was hijacked by seeing one entirely different particular model....an F300 Constellation!

Am still keen on the "refurbished/new" look, and have plumped for this. (now await comments with tin hat very firmly on!)

My credit card is starting to flinch, as I properly have the bug again now.......

Frfont.jpg Rear.jpg Dial.jpg Back.jpg
    Fazloon and ConElPueblo like this.
  10. Omega1 Sep 7, 2016

Hi when it comes too vintage watches I tend to buy what I like but you are in the right place for help in making you first vintage omega purchase easier the wealth of knowledge on this forum is incredible with not only omega's but a wide range of watches from all makers. I just bought an omega f300 hz geneve chronometer and I love it yes I know spare parts are getting harder and harder to find and getting them serviced in the right place can be difficult but for me it's about the watch I want at that time and the best thing is most of these problems can be solved right here on this forum I hope this helps.. Here is my f300hz also bought on eBay image.jpeg

11. Kja Sep 7, 2016

You did well... That's in remarkable condition! Beautiful watch!

thelinendial and UncleBatman like this.
  12. ConElPueblo Sep 7, 2016

"+1" as the kids say today. Looks great :)

UncleBatman likes this.