Forums Latest Members

Newbie Post: Speedmaster reduced question

1. tony72cutlass's' Jan 6, 2015

Hello All,

I'd like to introduce myself to this forum, i appologize for not having a watch-related name but i've been a member on an oldsmobile forum for my 4-4-2 for many years now and it's just easier to remember..

I already have an omega speedmaster professional that i have inherited from my father purchased in the 60's but i'm looking for a "daily driver" watch so to speak.

What are your thoughts on the speedmaster reduced? I like the smaller size but does it have any functionality drawbacks? Everyone seems to go after the professional series but since i already have one i dont think i can warrant buying another!

Then of course there's a nice seamaster or something.. might as well buy em' all huh?

-Tony

2. emilio Jan 6, 2015

My first post here, (Missing a place to introduce myself? )

I started with a Speedmaster reduced but after a while you will feel it is not "the real deal". But everyone here will tell you that...

But if you can buy it cheap, why not? You can sell it at the moment you know for yourself it is not "the real deal".

However, why not buy an other professional from a different era?

3. SeanO Jan 6, 2015

Depending on how much money you've got to drop on it you may consider either the modern Speedy or the FOIS (Ed White Rep). They have the important 861/1861 movement (hand winding). If not the modern Speedy/FOIS then perhaps one of the modern Seamaster variants.

both of them are lookers on either a strap or the bracelet. The only problem you'll have is they're like CC's, you can't have just one.

4. Hijak Jan 6, 2015

Tony I will suggest to look through the WRUW thread (what are you wearing) and see some of the amazing watches there before you make any kind of decision on your next watch. And welcome to the forum...now lets see some pictures of that nice 442!:thumbsup:

5. Hijak Jan 6, 2015

Welcome to the forum Emilio! The Speedmaster Reduced is a fine watch but some people feel the movement is not on par with the 321/861/1861. The reduced has a chronograph complication piggybacked on to the movement (I believe an ETA movement) not integrated as part of it. There has also been mention that it is more expensive to maintain. It is much less expensive as you said and is a good start for someone looking to spend a little less.

6. tony72cutlass's' Jan 6, 2015

Hi Gentlemen,

Thanks for the kind remarks, i'll definitely be open to options but i'd like to keep my investment on the lower end (something around 1500 hopefully if i can get by).

Here's the best i can do, it's a picture from before i did the ottawa marathon this past year.

Tony Ottawa.JPG

Hijak likes this.
  7. Hijak Jan 6, 2015

Very nice Tony!:thumbsup:

8. tony72cutlass's' Jan 6, 2015

Thanks! and i suppose there are different movements for different years of omega speedmaster professional and reduced?

What is a good way to check for fakes of the reduced models? I did a quick search online and bezel alignment with the 36second mark is a tell-tale sign.

9. repoman Jan 6, 2015

Let me throw a curveball here (and welcome to the forum). Wear your dad's vintage Speedmaster! There are many of us here that wear 60's Speedmasters as an everyday watch. Take a portion of that $1500 and have that Speedmaster mechanically serviced and I think you get a lot more bang for the buck. You won't be satisfied with a "reduced" model for long... so you'll end up flipping it anyway.

Now, lets see some pictures of your 60's Speedy, that's what we all want to see !!!!

Tritium likes this.
  10. base615 Jan 6, 2015

I will dissent here. I love my Speedy Reduced and prefer it to the Moonwatch. My reasoning is threefold.

1. I have a reasonably small wrist (6.5") and, on a leather strap, it is a perfect size for wearing in the office while it's still big enough to not be out of place worn casually, perhaps on a bracelet. In my often wrong opinion the Moonwatch is a bit big for dress purposes for anyone with wrist less than 7". Your mileage may vary in terms of whether this is an issue or not but, in any case, you already have a Moonwatch to wear casually anyway.

2. I just prefer automatics. I have a number of watches. I keep them on winders so I can get up in the morning, select a timepiece and not have to worry about setting the time and winding.

3. Value for money is sensational. You can pick up exceptional copies for not too much over $1k.

Mine is from 2003 and runs 1 sec fast per day. Perfect performance for a non-chronometer movement. I can recommend jmryshi on eBay if you decide to pick one up.

If you want a Moonwatch then this isn't the way to go. I've had people say "I like your Moonwatch" and I always correct them. I think this piece is great in its own right and doesn't deserve to be seen as an imitation or poor man's Moonwatch.

B.Frost likes this.
  11. Hijak Jan 6, 2015

Tony the reduced has the one movement and the premoon/moon/professional Speedmaster evolved from the 321, 861 and 1861 over time. As far as fakes of the reduced model, I'm not sure this was a widely faked model since it doesn't command the money of its cousin moon watch. I have read this but am not that familiar with the reduced model honestly. You can search the forum for information, there's plenty of information here, this should get you started. Good luck on your hunt and remember, ask before you buy!

12. Hijak Jan 6, 2015

The reduced isn't the only automatic Speedmaster and not the only smaller version either. The date speedy and the triple date are also automatic and smaller. Just putting all the options out there.

13. tony72cutlass's' Jan 6, 2015

I just moved to nova scotia from Montreal so i have it safely at my parents house right now while i'm getting settled. i'll have pictures within the next few weeks!

14. tony72cutlass's' Jan 6, 2015

Very cool!

I think to be honest i'm just really stressed about getting mugged and losing the watch my dad bought new back in the 60's. Im all about getting good value for my money as well.

What do you guys have to say about the sellers here on the "for sale" section? I have read a few testimonials and they all seem to sell pretty authentic stuff. I've had really good luck on other forums for rare parts and products so i'm hoping i've hit a good bunch of fellows here too.

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 6, 2015

I'd skip the reduced and go for something like a 2254.50 or 2531.80 diver, the reason being the reduced isn't really meant for water use, has an expensive to maintain movement and sort of duplicates the moonwatch in purpose. A 2254.50 with fresh seals you can get wet, go diving, out in the snow, wherever with and its cheap to maintain with a very reliable movement. Its a very popular and great looking piece full of Omega history and is incredibly durable too. IMO that's the perfect compliment to a 60s Moonwatch.

16. base615 Jan 6, 2015

Agreed. I prefer the Reduced though :)

17. tony72cutlass's' Jan 7, 2015

Wow the prices on 2531's are really reasonable, for a daily driver it might be pretty great.

Do you guys usually buy your omegas on the for sale section here? I'm a first time online buyer so i'd like to get this right on the watch front...

18. peatnick Jan 7, 2015

For sale section here or on other enthusiast forums where seller has a solid reputation is safest bet
    [​IMG]
    My reduced says hello, one reason I enjoy is the variety of dials available for reasonable price

19. tony72cutlass's' Jan 7, 2015

You guys can take apart watches on your own and change stuff too??

I can get my hands in a transmission just fine and change anything you'd dream of but i'm not sure if i'm steady enough for watch repair...

20. peatnick Jan 7, 2015

was referring to the variety of dials produced, not inferring you might change them yourself

my personal limit is changing straps or bracelets and tightening the occasion loose rotor . . .