Forums Latest Members
  1. danshepp Jan 17, 2014

Hi

i have recently bought a original 1965 pie-pan constellation watch. I was told it was untouched and worked perfectly. The cal is 564, case number 197.005 and on inspection it does tick all the boxes. My problem is that 197.005/0005 does show on the Omega site and also the caseback doesn't have the medallion present. I was told post buying (ebay buy and maybe the mistake) the watch that some did come without the medallion as they were for engraving. This hasn't been engraved and therefore seems dubious. The seller has reported to the watch inspected in the midland by a omega dealer and I just wanted feedback from those more knowledgeable (you guys). Will this affect the re-sell value if I were ever to sell on? Could I buy a medallion to insert?Lastly does the case number and medallion mean it is not original as described?

Thanks for your time

photo 4.PNG photo 3 (1).PNG photo 2 (1).PNG
  2. Dablitzer Jan 17, 2014

Hey Dan,

firstly welcome, and on first glance the watch looks original, so that's a plus. I would re-check that case number as It is most likely 167.005. So give that a try in the Omega database. Personally I don't agree about the engraving situation. Either way it should have a solid gold medallion, I believe at least 14k gold content. IMHO a BIG part of the watch value! Depending on what you paid, this will factor into it, should you decide to sell the piece in the future. I'm not sure if this was described in the listing?

All the best,

Dab.

3. danshepp Jan 17, 2014

Thank you for the reply.

The originality of it is my problem as it seems a good one in every other respect. I did so much research on pie-pans before buying as I'm a bit obsessive! It makes it more odd about the case number as he said it was looked at by an approved dealer and stated 197.005. The 167.0005 states a 1962 watch and in the advert it states 1965. It wasn't in any pics or the description that the medallion was missing. I took it as being there as it was described as untouched and original. Paid £750 with the idea it had the medallion! Do you think it is a refund job? Obviously just wanting opinions and not going to hold you legally responsible!!!

4. Dablitzer Jan 17, 2014

Personally, If it were my watch, I would want to find one that was all original with the medallion...

There's some very knowledgeable members here that can steer you on the right path! :)

It's probably a 168.005. Bare in mind the accuracy of the omega database, and serials can be plus or minus 2 yrs sometimes

Just my two cents,

Dab

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 17, 2014

Do you have photos of the back, inside and out?

6. ulackfocus Jan 17, 2014

We need photos of the inside and outside of the case back. No medallion + wrong model number (it should be 168.005 with a 564) = very bad.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 17, 2014

The correct reference number for the Omega Vintage Database is 168.0005. The "7" denotes a non-date version. If the caseback says 167.005, then it is a replacement. It will fit properly and is identical in all material aspects to the 168.005 case.

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=15085

The quick-set cal. 564 started in 1965, so serial number should be at least 23M, IIRC.

There were some original casebacks made without medallions for presentations. However, these should be totally flat on the back and should not have any indentations where the medallion would have been. Here's an ad for these special presentation watches.

[​IMG]

Without pictures, I can't tell you if your caseback was one of these. If it was a flat caseback, then it is entirely possible that Omega USA mismatched the reference numbers. It happened on occasion. As I said above, the 167 and 168-prefixed casebacks are compatible.

Looks OK to me, except for the caseback issue.
    gatorcpa

8. John R Smith Jan 17, 2014

The watch is obviously not "untouched and original". With an incorrect case reference and a missing medallion you would find this watch very hard to sell in the future. You have every good reason to ask for a return and a full refund. The moral of this tale is -

Never, ever, buy a watch on eBay that does not have good photographs of absolutely everything - front, back, sides, inside back, movement, the lot!

9. danshepp Jan 18, 2014

Hi

thank you for replying, it's helped me decide a plan. I find it odd how the seller have every pic other than any of the back case, inside or out! going to have it opened and findout! Will update later. Here is a pic of the back

image.jpg
  10. ulackfocus Jan 18, 2014

The medallion was supposed to be there, but it was removed and scrapped for it's gold content (most likely) or fell out (less likely). As far as I know, when Omega made 'presentation watches' they made a plain flat caseback without any logo or medallion, nor any place to fasten one. They didn't just not put the medallion on.

How about a shot of the inside of the caseback?

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 18, 2014

It's not a presentation watch, period. The seller has misrepresented the watch and you should return it.
    gatorcpa

12. John R Smith Jan 18, 2014

The medallion is missing. It did not come from the Omega factory this way. I have seen only two pictures of Constellations which were presentation watches and were engraved. Both of them were solid 18k gold and had a completely flat back for this purpose.

13. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 18, 2014

As stated by Dennis & Evan, definitely not a presentation back, merely missing the medallion. I have a Constellation presentation back, in presentation examples the medallion is replaced with a corporation logo embossing.

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 18, 2014

I have an EternaMatic Centenaire with the same medallion. (in aluminum I think). These were standard casebacks on which the medallion was removed (or never inserted) and replaced with one made by/for Alcan Aluminum in Canada.

I've seen a couple of Constellations in all steel with a flat back exactly as described by Dennis and John. Those are the ones referred to in the ad above.

Can't put my finger on a picture right now.
    gatorcpa

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 20, 2014

Have you sent away to Omega for the "Free "Employee Relations" Brochure?:p