Forums Latest Members
  1. rmshiohira May 18, 2015

Hello all and thank you for being a wonderful resource to me as I start looking into vintage Omegas. I grew up with my dad's favorite watch being a Seamaster that he received as a gift from a mentor, and I'm glad to be able to look at buying an Omega (or maybe Omegas) for myself.

I found a vintage Seamaster at a local vintage jewelry/watch store, purported to be from 1957, stainless steel, and all original with the exception of the crown. However, after checking the Omega Vintage Watches Database, the numbers inside the case back (2846 and 2848) don't seem to match the rest of the watch. I also don't know why there are two numbers.

According to various online charts, the movement serial number (16254611) seems to date to 1958-1961, rather than 1957. From what I can tell, the rest of the watch looks like a CK 2921, but I'm worried about it being a frankenwatch.

I would greatly appreciate any help sorting this out, as the variables are a bit overwhelming to me due to my inexperience.

Any other advice you can offer about the rest of the watch (dial, case, etc.) would be wonderful as well. Thank you so much, in advance!

Masa

Caseback.jpg Dial and Crystal.jpg Inside Caseback.jpg Movement 1.jpg Movement 2.jpg

Giff2577 likes this.
  2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member May 18, 2015

Watch looks correct and original to me except for the crown. Crown is not such a big deal as the clover crowns can be easily found. Depending on the price it would be a good buy.

rmshiohira likes this.
  3. rmshiohira May 18, 2015

Kyle, thank you so much for your insight and advice, especially about the clover crowns! Are we allowed to discuss specific prices on here? I don't want to violate any protocol, especially as a newb.

4. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member May 18, 2015

Sure. :)

5. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! May 18, 2015

Beautiful watch! I'm a sucker for two tone textured dials in a beefy case. Dibs ;)

rmshiohira likes this.
  6. rmshiohira May 18, 2015

Thanks! Is $400-ish about right for a watch like this? If not, what is an appropriate price/price range? Thanks!

7. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member May 18, 2015

Sounds like a fair price to me, the texture dial adds a little value as well. :)

Giff2577 likes this.
  8. rmshiohira May 18, 2015

Great! Thanks again! I'll do my best to remember to post pics if I buy it. However, with two little boys, I get daddy brain sometimes.

Giff2577 likes this.
  9. j.allen May 18, 2015

I think $400 is accurate. With bad luck or a poor listing possibly close to $300. The Database is not complete and it will only show a few examples. 1957-1958 is probably more accurate. That movement belongs in that case. It's nice the dial has not been repainted.

You can also see the crown is bent. Possibly the stem too. I like this movement; I have several.

10. rmshiohira May 18, 2015

Thanks! Good catch on the bent crown/stem! Is that a major fix? The movement seemed to move freely and the watch ran. I really appreciate the help!

11. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 19, 2015

No, minor fix.

12. rmshiohira May 19, 2015

Thanks again everyone for the advice and guidance. I wanted to see if I dodged a bullet or missed the boat. I went to check out the watch again today and try to make a deal. However, upon closer inspection, the lines that look like scuffs between 4:00 and 5:00, and also near 6:00, are actually cracks in the crystal. The shop owner insisted the crown/stem was not crooked/bent, even after I showed him the photos his salesperson sent me (the ones I posted, above). Finally, the movement sounded like the rotor was clanking around. I asked about it, and he said that was normal for this movement. Since I don't know whether that is true or not and he still wanted $400, I told him I was going to pass. Did I do the right thing? Thanks!

13. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! May 19, 2015

Not supposed to clunk, no. Rotor bushings perhaps worn out.

Tom

rmshiohira likes this.
  14. rmshiohira May 20, 2015

Thanks again to everyone for the advice! I think I dodged a bullet.