Forums Latest Members

Newbie looking for opinion on vintage watch on ebay

1. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Dec 5, 2015

Hello All,

Let me introduce myself. I'm a French Canadian who's been living in Boston for the past two years. My hobby is horology (precision pendulum clocks) although I'm no clockmaker in the traditional sense. I'm looking for a 1950's chronometre Seamaster or Constellation. Being a newbie at purchasing a vintage watch I would value your opinions on this watch on ebay:

To my inexperienced eye it looks in very original condition though the movement has a lot of scratches, which I find disconcerting.

Michel

Edited by a mod Jun 1, 2023
    efauser likes this.
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 5, 2015

I'm wondering about the green color on the dial, too. If you could get it cheap (about where it is now), I might take a chance but no more. Others may disagree so be patient, they'll be along soon.

If you want a waffle dial (a personal favorite), I would wait. You can get better watches than this one, for not a lot more. Watch the private sales on this site and spend time here. Some of the members here have forgotten more about Seamasters and Constellations than I'll ever know. Welcome to OF.

3. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 5, 2015

Found this if it helps
    Extract courtesy of essay on Omega Chronometres by Bill Sohne

That green tint does look disconcertingly like algae though.....:cautious:

Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 15.45.47.png

Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 15.46.00.png

Edited by a mod Jun 1, 2023
  4. Canuck Dec 5, 2015

According to the Ranfft archive, this vintage of Omega was made in a Constellation model with a sub seconds feature. As with the purchase of any vintage watch, one must allow that servicing, and possibly even parts may be necessary. I wonder if the colour imparted to the dial might be caused by the old crystal, and possibly the lighting. For the money, it would seem to me to be worth the risk. But be prepared to shell,out if it needs work!

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Omega_343

5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 5, 2015

did you mean Chronometre? :whistling::)

6. Canuck Dec 5, 2015

To the best of my knowledge, all Constellations are chronometers (chronometres)! So, yes, I guess that's what I meant!

7. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 5, 2015

but not all chronometers are Constellations......:whistling::whistling:

8. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 5, 2015

if you are a newbie ... why not avoid ebay alltogether and shop around the sales section here or on WUS ...?

my gut feeling on ebay is that 80-90% of the watches there have "issues" (pc expression), whereas on the sales fora here the ratio is the other way round.

once you know your $hit, then go bargain hunting in the bay, but until you do so, the chance of getting stung is high...

do the math!

9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 5, 2015

There are no vintage constellations with subseconds feature - cal. 343 was not used in the constellation line.

10. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Dec 5, 2015

Thanks for this good information.

At first I was looking at omega_addict's offerings on ebay, but lurking on this site I'm now considering something in a more "original" condition. Still on the fence here.

Canuck
    , do you mean this model should be Constellation though the dial of the one listed on ebay says Seamaster? I'm a bit confused by your statement. I thought Seamaster and Constellation are different families.

11. Canuck Dec 5, 2015

The dial on the subject watch has both chronometer and Seamaster on the dial. I have long been under the impression that an Omega chronometer is a chronometer, whether the dial says Seamaster chronometer, or Constellation chronometer. Perhaps someone will correct me!

12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 5, 2015

It IS a seamaster chronometre NOT a constellation chronometre.

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 5, 2015

Canuck may have made a typo in his earlier post and said Constellation where he meant chronometer in:

Think that's how the wires got crossed

14. Canuck Dec 5, 2015

Are not ALL Constellations, chronometers? And SOME Seamaster such as the subject watch ALSO chronometers?

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 5, 2015

Yea that's what he said. All Constellations are chronometers but not all chronometers are Constellations, but there are no sub seconds Constellations, nor date at six Constellations (aside from later quartz).

16. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Dec 5, 2015

I've decided to pass on this ebay sale. Thanks to all who have posted advice. I realize that "bargain hunting" would be suicidal in my case (as al128 pointed out).

I noticed there's a list of "approved" ebay sellers in another thread. I'll give it a look.

I'll also keep an eye for listings sales in this group. I'm not a collector (or dealer) but looking for a nice vintage watch for daily use.

17. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Dec 5, 2015

What WUS?

18. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 5, 2015

Shhhhh ;)
    Watch you seek

The place where people go before they discover Omega Forums...:)

19. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 5, 2015

plus ... half of the fun of vintage watches is ... actually chasing them up ...

20. PatrickJ Dec 9, 2015

In my opinion and please do not take this the wrong way I come in peace, it is better to pick your model of choice, then do homework and do not rely on anyone even if they have the best reputation and they are from the forum. I say this in support of forum members as a group and for individuals as well. I found a great watch on here from a VERY WELL KNOWN AND EXPERIENCED MEMBER AND SELLER looked minty minty minty made the purchase straight away but asked do I have the option to return the watch if not happy and he said yes. As a precaution I sent pictures to my watchmaker, WHO IS ONE OF THE MOST RESPECTED VINTAGE WATCHMAKERS ON THE FORUM he said it is an nice watch but REDIAL the M in automatic is wrong and the M in seamaster is wrong. After I received the watch I sent it back for a refund, the forum member I had purchased it from was helpful, curtiousand very nice about the whole thing. No wrong doing occurred here, we are dealing with old stuff even experts can get it wrong IN GOOD FAITH NO WRONG DOING.