Forums Latest Members
  1. rpilney Jun 30, 2015

Hello,

I am new here and getting into Omega watches. I have been looking at a watch but can't determine which one it is or the value as I don't want to pay too much for it. I saw another one close to it on here that I found via google. I believe I have the year right at 1952 but the design is like no other I have seen. I appreciate any feedback. I have to get back to the person with a final offer this week. Thanks!

omg.jpg omg2.jpg omg3.jpg
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 30, 2015

Hello and welcome.

Queens was an American case maker so the watch in question was a product of the Norman Morris Company, the distributor for Omega from the 1940s through the 1960s.

Due to protective import tariffs, Omega sent mostly uncased movements to the US at which time the were cased using cases made by a number of different makers, under the direction of Norman Morris. Many of the offerings in the US were specifically done for this market only.

1952 would be correct based on the serial number on the movement photo you have provided.

Value depends mainly on condition, particularly the dial.

You will need to provide good clear photos of the watch you are interested in in order to provide an estimated valuation.

noelekal likes this.
  3. rpilney Jul 1, 2015

Great information. Thank you! I will ask for more pictures but it is an out of state purchase for me. I looked through hundreds of photos and never found a case that has that design. I was not able to find it in the Omega Vintage Database but I am not all that certain which numbers I use from the case to look it up. Thank you again for sharing your knowledge.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 1, 2015

You will not find it there.

Very few US-only references show up there.
    gatorcpa

5. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jul 1, 2015

I have never seen that case before and it is kind of neat. However much of the value in a watch is in the dial and I see some fairly ugly damage around the 8 o'clock marker in the photo's you have posted.

6. rpilney Jul 1, 2015

here are better pics

869457329122342gp.JPG 855811429122343gp.JPG
  7. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jul 1, 2015

Due to the poor condition of the dial and the fact that it is US cased this would have to be a pass for me. Though you could probably find another movement and dial to put into it. I hate to say this and it would be nice if I were wrong but I think it is not worth much more than the melt value of the gold.

8. rpilney Jul 1, 2015

bummer well that is much less than the $360 I had offered on it.

9. rpilney Jul 1, 2015

I really like the look of these 40's and 50's watches. I usually wear Rolex but something really nice about these watches to me and now I want one. :)

10. Geo! Jul 1, 2015

It certainly has issues, but I personally love it and would be happy to wear it just as it is. :)

11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 1, 2015

Its certainly worth that.

Just have the dial refinished and wear it with pride.