Forums Latest Members

Newbie looking for advice on inherited 551 Constellation

1. bsuttie Dec 29, 2015

Hi. total newbie here looking for advice on this watch that my wife inherited from her father.
    Not sure if it has any value as to my eye it looks in very poor condition. Her recollection is that at some point it went through a washing machine! It doesn't currently run, although the hands can be moved. We think it's from around 1960.

Has the encounter with the washing machine put an end to it? Or is it worth trying to get it refurbished?

Any advice appreciated

Brian
    DSC04678.jpg DSC04683.jpg DSC04684.jpg

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 29, 2015

The watch looks in tough shape, especially the movement, however it has good bones. The case and dial look good. As you are in far north UK, perhaps some of our UK members can connect you with a sympathetic watchmaker that can put it right. It is not hopeless.

PatrickJ and bsuttie like this.
  3. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Dec 29, 2015

That watch is well worth a rehab!

Case looks unpolished and the dial looks good. The movement needs a thorough service - which may cost a bit but will be money well spent - and a new crystal. The crown needs replacing,hopefully to something correct for that model.

4. Davidt Dec 29, 2015

Have a look at Christian and @Mitka at www.watchguy.co.uk. The're UK based watch repairers/servicers, with an on-line blog so you can see previous work.

Tritium and bsuttie like this.
  5. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 29, 2015

No obvious signs of rust. I think it's worth restoring.

Tom

6. GlenM Dec 29, 2015

The serial number dates it to approx 1962. I think it is well worth a service/repair. Just don't be tempted to have it renovated to 'as new' - I think it should keep as much of it's history and battle scars as possible.

7. nxw1969 Dec 29, 2015

Cosmetically, I think it will clean up very nicely, a new crystal and a clean of the case. Don't try and polish the hell out of it though trying to get rid of the scratches, and definitely don't restore the dial.

gregger77, PatrickJ and bsuttie like this.
  8. bsuttie Dec 29, 2015

Thanks all for the great advice. This morning I thought we had a worthless old watch sitting in the drawer. I'm now really excited that it may be feasible to bring it back to life. Will keep you updated with the story as it unfolds.

9. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 29, 2015

Echoing the other members, service the movement, new crown and crystal, and a new strap and you have one killer Constellation!

Thanks for coming on the forum and asking the appropriate questions. Everyone loves to see a vintage Omega brought back to its glory, but kept as original as possible.

And if you don't want it, there are plenty of members that will take it off your hands:)

GregH and bsuttie like this.
  10. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Dec 29, 2015

It must be a 14900, I think.

bsuttie likes this.
  11. PatrickJ Dec 29, 2015

Dsio recommended @stefan to me and I recommend @stefan to the OP. Stefan is in London, he is a stand up guy.

bsuttie likes this.
  12. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Dec 29, 2015

Its all there. Go for it. I bet it cleans up beautifully! And then you've got a piece of family history that you'll be proud to wear.

You will need to post pictures of the finished product, we all tend to get very emotional around here......

PatrickJ, bsuttie and Tritium like this.
  13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 29, 2015

Lovely cross hair pie pan Connie
    With a bit of luck the movement will come good with a proper service
    The case is still nice and crisp
    With a new crystal and crown you won't recognise your watch
    Unfortunately you can't get a correct original new crown but the available crowns still look good and are much easier to use
    Depending on who you use and parts required it should cost around £300 (with crystal and crown) but well worth it if it brings your family heir loom back to life
    I use the Watchguy and have been very pleased with their service

14. bsuttie Feb 6, 2016

Well following advice on here I've had the watch looked at and had an estimate of £ 380. Sadly I can't afford to spend that on it - I don't think I'd appreciate it enough. So I've listed it on eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/272126089048?Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network Would be delighted if it went to someone who was going to restore it.

15. hugo Feb 6, 2016

Looking good dial and case. You just clean movement and replace the correct crown. It's fantastic:thumbsup:

16. gregger77 Feb 6, 2016

Or 14902. This one is a twin to mine. And definitely a keeper!

17. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Feb 6, 2016

14902 is a date version and powered by a 561 not 551.

18. Willem023 Feb 7, 2016

Better: let them NOT touch the case at all: any attempt to 'freshen up' the case, will most likely end in a too much polished case.
    Keep the history with this watch: the dial looks amazing, although a bit difficult to tell exactly with the scratches crystal.
    Could be a hidden gem!