Forums Latest Members
  1. shogun357 Mar 4, 2015

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to pick up my first Omega. Though I have several collectible watches, I never really thought about Omega until I saw an absolutely beautiful Pre-Moon 321. The applied logo, step dial, and larger-than-vintage Rolex case size totally sucked me in. So now I'm on the hunt for my every own. Unfortunately the stuff I saw on eBay and Chrono24 was too untrustworthy, so I joined this forum. The only problem is apparently I can't post in the WTB section because I haven't posted 200 times yet.
    So... I guess I'll try here. Hope no one's offended.

Here's what I'm looking for:
    145.012 Speedmaster (321 movement)
    MUST BE CORRECT AND 100% ORIGINAL, with all matching serial numbers- I'm sure most of you here know what that means (Dot Over 90 bezel, step dial, correct sweep hand, applied logo, etc.)
    I would like Extract of Archives, or something equivalent, and if the original box is available that is a plus.
    Would pay more for a 1968, but will happily take a 1967.
    And of course, it must keep excellent time.
    I guess, in short, I'm looking for a collector's piece.

I think this may be a tall order, but I'm hopeful I can find something.
    Oh, and I guess it's worth mentioning that I am NOT a dealer, or in the watch business. I'm just someone who wants to add a great watch to my collection. Thanks in advance for any leads you may be able to provide.

Cheers!

2. marturx Mar 4, 2015

And you will pay up to USD 3k for the right example...:D

Only joking

Welcome to the forum, and good luck in your search!

In the meantine, pls post some pictures of those collectible ones you own :coffee:

It will help your post count, and sooner than you can imagine, you´ll be at 200! :)

3. shogun357 Mar 4, 2015

Ha! Right. If only. Thank for the advice. Will do. : )

4. TLIGuy Mar 4, 2015

I'm sure most of the trusted sellers real many of the sub forums but you may want to try posting your interest in the WTB forum as well.

Welcome.

5. shogun357 Mar 4, 2015

Thanks, I would definitely post it there if I could. I'll try and work up my number of posts. Thanks!

6. Davidt Mar 4, 2015

A '67 is the most readily available 321 and so with patience it shouldn't be too hard to source one. Keep an eye on the usual places, the FS section here being a good start.

shogun357 likes this.
  7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 4, 2015

But you will need more than 3k

8. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 4, 2015

Considering the 145.012-67 outnumber the 68s by about 100:1, I'm pleased to find that I'm not the only one who was willing to pay more for a 145.012-68.

Seriously, very few owners of a 145.012-67 are going to have an extract. Original paperwork, if you find any, will add big bucks. The 14512-67 are still rather plentiful that you really won't have to worry much about getting a fraudulent piece. The movement numbers are easy to march up. The dial is distinct. The hands are usually original or at least correct. The only variables are the DON bezel, bracelet and, of course, the quality of the piece.

Edited Mar 4, 2015
    shogun357 likes this.
  9. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 4, 2015

Regarding the 200 post minimum, if you get hooked on Speedmasters, as I have, it doesn't take very long....a few months. I'm almost there and then I can mention that I am interested in buying 2998 Speedmasters. But until I get about 30 more posts, I can't :)

10. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Mar 4, 2015

Ummm you can't just skirt the rules of posting a wtb here...

11. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Mar 4, 2015

Why not as it's apparently OK to "skirt" the rules FS...just sayin'

12. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Mar 4, 2015

You can ask and get permission to post if we had 20-30 people posting for sale and wtb threads in the modern, vintage, open discussion then it would be a cluster

13. TLIGuy Mar 5, 2015

I know this has been a touchy subject lately but they way I read the notice is that you need the 200 post to sell in the sales forum. I see the same notice copied in the WTB forum as well. The majority of posts in the WTB forum appear to be from members with less than 200 posts. Is the same 200 post required to WTB as well?

So is the forum saying you need to get to 200 posts before you can even get into the club?

I'm totally behind the 200 posts to sell, but WTB as well??

KIMBER likes this.
  14. bryanmanio Mar 5, 2015

Contact one of the reputable sellers on here privately.

shogun357 likes this.
  15. shogun357 Mar 5, 2015

Thanks, but I think that other poster was joking. I'm fully expect, and am prepared to pay, more than 3K.

16. shogun357 Mar 5, 2015

Yup. It's what I read in the rules, and when I tried to post in the WTB section, I read a message saying I was not allowed.

17. shogun357 Mar 5, 2015

Yup. Thanks. What I've been finding is that many of the hands are incorrect, or are replacements. I'm also finding a lot of bezels that are incorrect. The hardest part is that when I try to ask the ebay and Chrono24 sellers, they insist that the parts are original, when it's clear to amyone who cares about Speedys that something is off. That's why I came here. Watching you guys analyze the pieces gives me more confidence as a buyer.

18. TLIGuy Mar 5, 2015

Sorry I steered you in the wrong direction. I clearly understand why the 200 post count was implemented for the sales forum, with allowing for possible exceptions but I was not aware that you needed to have 200+ to WTB items.

Edited Mar 5, 2015
  19. shogun357 Mar 5, 2015

No problem! Appreciate the feedback.

20. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 5, 2015

Just wondering, if someone wanted to buy a watch through this forum, and (unlike me who rushed in overpaid in a Paris shop years ago) was prepared to diligently research, read and generally involve himself, ask questions and thank responders, then 10 posts a day, five days a week, would mean in a month the would-be owner has knowledge, and the post count, to buy.

Not many other fora do their newcomers such favours.