Forums Latest Members
  1. wilsobw Oct 4, 2017

A simply request for any initial guidance on my watch.

The details I have (from technician) from removing the back are:
    MDL# 14381 5 SC
    Mvmt CAL. 561
    Mvmt Serial. 17371399

Other than that, I am not educated on what it is exactly, I have.

IMG_0437.JPG IMG_0439.JPG IMG_0440.JPG
  2. mikechi22 Oct 4, 2017

Hi there! Welcome to the Forum! I’m not a senior member or expert, it’s just that most everyone else is turned in for the night! I really love your watch! It’s very clean looking for something that was likely made in 1959! I’ll leave it to the experts to tell you if it’s an original dial or not. Regardless, I’d wear it!

To learn a bit more about this model, you could dig through this site which is the fruit of much labor of an OF member, monodec (?) who is a very learned fellow.

http://omega-constellation-collecto.../omega-constellation-accessories-1952-75.html

Here’s a handy guide to movements and manufacture dates. It’s not the most comprehensive but it’s easy to access:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-spot-Fake-and-Frankestein-Omega-/10000000177399639/g.htmlPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Another source for info on your watch is Omega’s own site, but they’re sadly, sort of lazy about updating and illustrating. Pity.

https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage/

So, welcome again! You’ve found one of the finest fora on the Internet! I hope you’ll stick around! Please do let people know about how you came to have your watch.

3. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 5, 2017

Welcome.
    Nice dial - looks original (sharper pics would help)
    Nice case too.
    Movt serial is about right for the watch.
    Crown is a replacement but no big deal.
    However, there is a problem with the case number you gave.
    A 14381 is a non date.
    It should be 14393 with a date.

4. chipsotoole Oct 5, 2017

Paging mr Conelpueblo....

5. wilsobw Oct 5, 2017

My thanks for the soundbite. Here are new pics (i am no enthusiast for photography) which I hope have a little more clarity. A follow up to your comments: The 14381 is a case number and your suggestion is that it does not exist in the Omega catalogue? Would this suggest this is a fake watch?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_246af.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_246b0.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_246b3.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_246b5.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_246b6.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_246b7.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_246b8.jpg
  6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 5, 2017

Not fake, but your watch seems to have an incorrect case back or the movement has been put into an incorrect case (more likely). Reference 14381 should have a no date caliber 551 movement. The correct case in this style for the caliber 561 with date would be 14393.

Unless you paid a really strong price for it, I would wear it and enjoy it, looks like a nice watch.

Hoailam likes this.
  7. wilsobw Oct 5, 2017

It was a favor to a v good friend, 1.8K

8. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Oct 5, 2017

That is strong price - even for a totally correct Connie of this style.
    However, since it's the right period movement and the right style of case back for the case its 'kind of' correct.
    Only you will know. :whistling:
    Since it was a favour to a friend - Enjoy the watch for what it is.

Hoailam likes this.
  9. TexOmega Oct 5, 2017

1.8k in USD or EURO's is a VERY strong indication of your friendship, enjoy the watch.

ooooops, we were typing at the same time after wiping the spray off our monitor's after seeing the price....

Hoailam and Peemacgee like this.
  10. wilsobw Oct 5, 2017

thankyou to all, my education has started in typical newbie fashion, misstep numero uno

11. TexOmega Oct 5, 2017

No, you have a nice watch and a good friend, you should see my newbie mistakes, I was a slow learner.

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 5, 2017

As others have stated, not a fake watch. The caseback looks to be a genuine Omega part with the same 14K gold medallion.

However, a well-meaning watchmaker could have replaced a damaged caseback years ago. The Ref. 14381 and 14393 used casebacks that are interchangeable.

While I agree the price was high, this is still a very nice looking watch.
    gatorcpa

13. mikechi22 Oct 5, 2017

Since you don’t have photos of the movement or caseback, is it possible an incorrect number got jotted down?

14. kkt Oct 5, 2017

Not such a misstep. You got a good looking, nearly all correct watch, and you just paid slightly more than if you'd shopped around and waited for the right watch to come up for sale by owner. Could be a lot worse.

mikechi22 likes this.