Forums Latest Members
  1. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Apr 22, 2014

Hello everyone, I am very green to the world of collecting vintage omegas and was wondering if any of you could help me. I have been looking at ebay for a vintage seamster 600 and came across these here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171302154701?_trksid=p2055120.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281314415559?_trksid=p2055120.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151149365348?_trksid=p2055120.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I would like to find a watch that is not a re-dail and to my untrained eye I think the first and second one here listed seems off (also not sure if the 600 had caliber 600 in them), I think the most complete watch is the last listing but then I am very new to this. I am just looking for some to point me in the right direction or point out something I have not noticed. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

2. dantaspaulo Apr 22, 2014

IMHO, the first one is by far the best choice. The second one is kind of ok, but the dial could be much better. #3 is overpolished and overpriced. But (far) more experienced users will chime in soon.

3. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Apr 22, 2014

Thanks for your reply, the issue I have with the first listing is the dial (the lettering), it seems off, like the T Swiss Made T at 6 o'clock, but again I am very new to this. I agree with you about the last one, but I think (aside from the polished case) it seems the most complete.

4. Hijak Apr 22, 2014

Hi Lessismore,

You are correct in being suspect about the first watch. I believe it is a redial based on the smudges and such in the dial printing (smudged G & A in Omega, the 6 in 600 looks off and of course the M in Swiss Made is smudged). The printing also looks too thick in general and I think someone was trying to remove the inscription on the case back but realized they would also remove the hippo-campus as well and stopped (the case back should have a different finish on it and the hippo-campus should have a circle around it). Case back example...
    Seamaster 600, 4.JPG

Too bad really because this watch is quite nice other wise...case is somewhat sharp, movement looks very nice and it even has correct crown.

The second watch has the nicest dial (compare this dial to the first and you can see how off the first one is) but the case is beat up and over polished, especially the case back, oh and the crown is wrong.

Forget the third one as I believe moisture has gotten into it at some point. Look at the movement picture and the dial has evidence of this as well.

In the end the second and third are way over priced (I purchase a near perfect SM 600 in this price range) and I believe the first will be bid up too high by inexperienced buyers (because of the movement and case) but may be worth watching since its at such a low price now.

Personally I'd pass on all three!
    Just my 2 cents,
    Hijak

dantaspaulo likes this.
  5. dantaspaulo Apr 22, 2014

...one day I might learn to spot a redial. :unsure:

6. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Apr 22, 2014

Thanks Hijak, you just hit all the points I was worried about, only thing I had not noticed was the possible water damage in the third listing. My other question with the first listing was the caliber, was it common for this model to have a cal 600? or should they only have cal 601?

By they way, as far a collecting is this model (SM 600) more rare than say a Deville, Geneve or just plain Automatic?

7. Hijak Apr 22, 2014

It took me a long time and I can still be fooled, that's why we're here right!:thumbsup: Here are some pictures of my past mistakes just to make you feel better...
    5.jpg
    Big giveaways here is the N in constellation is all wrong (tail of N should roll under it) and the fact that the "T Swiss Made T" is above the minute markers among other things (wrong crown for one).:(

DSC00003.JPG
    Don't think too much needs to be said about this one...Automatic font way off and if you look close the De Ville trails off somewhat (the D is much closer to Seamaster than the last E). And both of these watches are over polished messes!

So at least your checking here before you buy!:cool: Expensive lessons I learned!!!::jumpy::

dantaspaulo likes this.
  8. Hijak Apr 22, 2014

None of these are "rare" watches in fact they are somewhat common. The trick is to find the really good ones.

And the cal. 600 in the first one...well the Omega data base says it should have a cal. 601 and I would personally feel better if it did...but keep in mind that the Omega data base is incomplete and it is possible, I think, for this combination to have come from Omega.

9. Hijak Apr 22, 2014

Just for a tease...

Seamaster 600, 1.JPG

I purchased this from Norman (X350 XJR) some time ago and it is one of the nicest ones I've ever seen. I've purchased several watches from Norman and he puts some very nice watches up in our For Sale thread from time to time...keep an eye out. In fact our For Sale thread is a great place to be looking if you want nice examples of any watch!:thumbsup: Many of my nicest watches were purchased there.

10. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Apr 22, 2014

Yeah that's a beauty! In your experience are the date ones more common? I also like the look of the deville, geneve and the automatics without the date complication from the same period (60's) ref # in the 165.XXX, read somewhere that I should look for those models with the cal 552 what do you think? Or do you have any models in mind?

I been looking at the For Sale thread also, some nice watches there!

11. Hijak Apr 22, 2014

Just to reiterate...all of these watches were talking about are common.

I also have a SM De Ville I like very much with the 552...

Wrist Shot, 4.JPG

And covet one of these older Geneve models (a cal. 562)...

Omega Geneve Ref 14703 Cal 562, 1960, 1.JPG

I think all of the 5xx movements were very good (heard some things about the cal. 500 but nothing a service can't handle)

You might also want to look at some 1950's Seamasters as these are very nice as well.

DSC00025.JPG

The left two obviously...

Anyway my suggestion is to go back and read through some old threads on here about the watches you're interested in (the more you see the better you will become at spotting the good from the bad) and this will help you oh so very much!:thumbsup: At least this is what I did/do and it has helped out a great deal. A copy of AJTT couldn't hurt either.

12. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Apr 22, 2014

Thank you so much for your help. I will keep an eye out for a copy of AJTT, what do you think of John's book? Is on par with the AJTT? Do you mind if I message you if I have any other questions? Again thanks.

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 22, 2014

I'm not convinced that the first watch is a redial. I think there is a scratch on the crystal that is causing the "smudging". However, I'm not a big fan of the engraving on this one.

The other two are nice, but quite overpriced.

Be patient, these are not rare watches. There are usually several on eBay at any point in time.
    gatorcpa

14. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Apr 22, 2014

I saw the crack gator, but also the 600 seems thick and I am not sure about the "swiss made" lettering pacing at 6 o'clock.. it seems too close together, but like I said before I am very new to this.

I am also looking at these two but also have my doubts about them...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351049263977?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271457246256?_trksid=p2055120.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I am trying to narrow which models to look at because I just seem to like them all from this time period!!!

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 22, 2014

I'd pass on both of these. The Argentine watch is all original, but the dial is a mess. The other one is a bad redial.

I'm sure there are more out there.
    gatorcpa

16. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Apr 22, 2014

can you elaborate on the argentine? thanks

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 22, 2014

The dial is original (and is textured -- most unusual), but it is very dirty.

[​IMG]

It may be possible to clean, but I wouldn't count on it. The rest of the watch is in decent original condition. But the inside gasket needs replacing badly. Shipping is very expensive as well.

If you can get it for under $300, shipping included, you'll have done well. But you're going to need to put a couple of hundred into it.
    gatorcpa

18. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Apr 22, 2014

Thanks gator I will keep that in mind, by the way are any of you familiar with the crown and caliber website? It seems most other websites beside ebay (in some cases) have all of these vintage watches over polished