Forums Latest Members

Newbie General Question - Omega vs. Rolex Movements in Pictures

1. epl108 Dec 11, 2013

Hi All,
    Really enjoying this new hobby of mine and learning a LOT everyday by reading through these forums. Been looking around eBay and also on the Sale section of this forum and Watchuseek and was wondering why Rolexes never seem to show their movements in pictures while almost all Omegas for sale have great images of the beautiful insides - I assume this is not a coincidence but why is this the case? Is it the same reason I don't really see any Rolex watches with clear case backs?

Thanks for the continue help,
    Evan

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 11, 2013

Rolex cases need a special tool to open them and most sellers don't have one.

Rolex doesn't make clear backs for their watches.

epl108 likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Dec 11, 2013

Rolex doesn't use display backs because their movements aren't much to look at, just like tractors aren't much to look at - yet they both do the job well for years.

Spy likes this.
  4. epl108 Dec 11, 2013

Got it. Thanks to both of you for the quick replies.

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 11, 2013

Some of them have pretty purple gears. :p

811.jpg

FilmDave, Spy and epl108 like this.
  6. ulackfocus Dec 11, 2013

Yes, I know. I did a short stretch in the Rolex block.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

epl108 likes this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 11, 2013

Most Rolex movements are finished as well, if not better, then most Omega movements. Neither are particularly well finished when compared to true high end brands, but this is the massed produced zone, so that is not unexpected.

I'm sure examples can be found that would be exceptions (Omegas newer movements such as the 8500 are on first appearance much improved in this regard, although without taking them apart it's hard to tell exactly how well/completely that have been finished), but generally speaking Rolex does a good job at finishing their movements.

Cheers, Al

epl108 likes this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 11, 2013

Probably the other thing is most people expect oyster case watches to be water resistant, if you're buying any Constellation or Seamaster from the 50s or 60s on here, taking the caseback off isn't likely to change much as they're already assumed to not seal completely.

epl108 likes this.
  9. Spy You know my name. Dec 17, 2013

LMAO!

These two brands probably produce the best everyday watch calibers. They have proven themselves reliable over time.