Forums Latest Members

Newbie from Stockholm, Sweden (Previously New Orleans)

1. astrand Mar 29, 2018

Hello everyone!

My name is Alex and I am a watch newbie currently living with my fiance in Stockholm, Sweden. I got my first mechanical watch (skx007 - the gateway drug watch) a year ago and I have since gone back and forth between "next purchases," but I am by far an "Omega" fanboy and will likely get a Seamaster or Speedy as my next piece (with the help of my lovely fiance who wants to help me get a luxury piece as a wedding gift).

I've been lurking a little while now but wanted to introduce myself. Hope everyone has a happy Easter (if that is your sort of thing) :rolleyes:

-Alex

20180329_100638.jpg

Kmart, Jones in LA, Alpha and 4 others like this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 29, 2018

Welcome! The skx is a hell of a gateway drug ;)

astrand likes this.
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 29, 2018

A Swedish fiancé? Much like new watch purchases, a large, clear photo would be greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

And welcome to the forum!

Kmart, astrand, Rumar89 and 1 other person like this.
  4. astrand Mar 29, 2018

Ill make sure to clean, but not polish, before posting any pictures.

5. astrand Mar 29, 2018

Agreed. I did not acknowledge the existence of mechanical watches until stumbling upon an urban gentry youtube video late one night and seeing the seconds hand twitch along must have triggered something inside of me :)

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 29, 2018

While a Speedy was not my first Omega my SKX and 145.022-76 Speedy get the most wrist time.

Stockholm is also the most ridiculously beautiful city I’ve ever been to. I’m actually looking for work in that city currently and moving out of SoCal.

astrand and rb10chris like this.
  7. astrand Mar 29, 2018

I love my skx :) I would love a 2531 later on as well!

Good luck with the job hunt! :)

8. jaguar11 Mar 29, 2018

Big welcome!!!!!!

astrand likes this.
  9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 29, 2018

Hi Alex, welcome to the forum!

astrand likes this.
  10. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Mar 29, 2018

Welcome @astrand ! And yes, yours is the perfect gateway drug. Good luck with what we often call 'the sickness' :)

astrand likes this.
  11. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Mar 29, 2018

Alex, welcome to OF.

astrand likes this.
  12. SouthernScot Mar 29, 2018

Welcome Alex, as a ‘lurker’ you’ll already know what a great forum this is. Beware of getting addicted, my first year has added two new Speedies to my small collection!!

astrand likes this.
  13. astrand Mar 29, 2018

No don't worry, my fiance is already able to recognize what these forums look like and will say, "watches again?". I love the forum, especially because it has really helped me "narrow" my choices, where as at first is was information overload.

"Oh that is pretty, I like that watch too, no now I like this one more!"

I like the 2531/2254 seamasters and speedmaster pro (though I did see photos of some rare hesalite/sapphire sandwich with bronze or copper movement.. holy moly ). But, as my next watch will be a wedding gift from the future wife (and I), it has been advised that I get a new watch, and save the used watches for later on. That narrowed it down to a new Seamaster ceramic (blue) or a speedmaster pro.

I went to an AD yesterday, only because I have not had the opportunity to see a ceramic seamaster in person, and while it was a beautiful watch... there is just something special about that hesalite speedy that. The price difference between a ceramic seamaster and a 2531 is slowly shrinking - and I know that the ceramic 2500D version is much more watch for the money, but I still think I would like to have a tritium dial 2531 down the road.

Anyways, sorry for the blabbering. Have a nice afternoon everyone.

Edited Mar 29, 2018
    larryganz and SouthernScot like this.