Forums Latest Members
  1. iver aldas Apr 28, 2013

Hi Gents, greetings! My name is Iver and I am a documentary Photographer based in Manila, Philippines and a new member on this forum. I recently got hooked with vintage watches especially with omega seamaster(s) and other vintage chronograph watches including of course the infamous vintage moon watch speedmaster(which is in "next to buy" list). I'm not new into vintage stuffs as my heart has been into Film Cameras which I am also using in my work. These are leica's, hasselblad, contax, mamiya, ricoh, nikon F series, etc2x(I could mention all of them here all day). ;) I've never been into watches before as I told myself that I don't need it as I have my mobile phone with me that could give me the time so I could not justify myself in purchasing a watch. So after all these years I've dedicated myself to cameras and nothing else.

But one time when a fellow photographer posted on our photography forum about a blog post from Hodinkee where in they found a store(I know this store because this is one of the many stores in the world where we get our leica's) in Ginza, Japan for their hunt of the Grand Seiko. I wasn't attracted with the vintage leica's that Hodinkee showed on that blog post but i fell in love with the Grand Seiko. That is where my research started and i think that was 2 or 3 months ago. As a documentary photographer I am used in doing intensive research of the stories that I want to cover. This is to familiarize me with the topic and the things I need to come up with an excellent story. So what I did for the last 3 months is to research about watches, their history and everything no photography, nothing else except watches. I have this book project that I am working for 3 years and I am in my first year now and counting but it stopped for a while as this watch thing is making me crazy(I need to be rehabbed).

I am not saying that I am already articulate when it comes to watches but I could say that I now have a little knowledge of the different types, some of the many brands, market value, etc2x. Well I've been lurking on this forum checking on almost every threads and especially the marketplace section. The thread that I love the most here is the "WRUW Today" thread which makes me crazy every time I browse it(I think I am somewhere in page 30 or 40). I got to know Sumerian a great gentleman from whom I got(this is after I got my first vintage watch from ebay, just a cheap seiko sportsman that I'm planning to use as my everyday watch and most especially when I am shooting in hostile areas) my first vintage seamaster cal. 552 from the 1960's. Sumerian is a very commendable seller and a great person to talk to as well and will definitely deal from him again.

Well, to cut the long story short I would like to know more about the watches and would really want to start my omega collection with the help from all the knowledgeable gentlemen from this forum. I am 26 years old and I would like to do this as long as I can and until my pocket could afford. :) I am really happy with my first omega watch and hoping to add more omega's in my stash but I don't want to just buy and collect, I would like to be educated as well with anything watch related and to know more of the different brands not just omegas. I would like to apologize for this very long write up and I really appreciate the time you've spared in reading it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS: Please excuse my crappy iphone pics.

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 28, 2013

A big welcome to you and as a kababayan and a fellow vintage omega enthusiast, I hope your journey into this world will be a fruitful and fun-filled one.

3. iver aldas Apr 28, 2013

Thank you for the welcome and I'm really glad to know that we are of the same country. Hope to meet you in person and talk to you about this addiction.

4. ulackfocus Apr 28, 2013

Hi Iver. Welcome to Omega Forums.

You do realize the irony of using an iPhone when you're a photographer, right? :p

5. iver aldas Apr 28, 2013

Indeed. Trust me I can do better than that. Haha!

6. MyVintageOmega Apr 28, 2013

Welcome aboard......:thumbsup:

7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 28, 2013

Mabuhay Iver,
    I am from Jakarta, and still less than one year into this WIS thing. This is the best place if you plan to educate yourself in vintage Omega.

Don't we all need to? :p It's very difficult at this point.....and down to impossible if you continue following this forum (which I highly recommend).

8. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Apr 28, 2013

Welcome. But I have to let you know the guys here will not believe you without pics. :D