Forums Latest Members

Newbie - first watch purchase - Is it a fake?

1. sdebers Jul 5, 2017

Need a little help - been doing lots of reading about box, docs, and condition on watches.
    Edited the title- This is a gift for my hubby, but with one poster raising a bit of concern wondered if others thought it was a fake?
    I found a watch in my price range but want to get input from people who have some experience buying these used.
    Without any experience am I better off buying from a jeweler?? Or if I have docs, and seems legit is buying from an individual going to be difficult? I'm thinking about future service etc. The seller has shown it does have some scratches seems upfront about the piece, and has answered all my questions.
    Any input is appreciated, attached are pics of the watch I'm considering buying.

omega1.jpg omega2.jpg omega3.jpg omega4.jpg
    Edited Jul 5, 2017
  2. Canuck Jul 5, 2017

I'm no expert on these, but I Googled that ref. #, and it showed up on a site that offers replica watches! The watch doesn't look right to me, somehow. Terrible picture, and nothing showing the interior case back, and movement. Check out watches for sale being offered by Omega message board sellers. Here's a link.

https://omegaforums.net/forums/watches-for-sale/

I have a strong suspicion that the prices on real Omegas might give you a basis for comparison on (what I suspect) might be a replica watch. Let's hear what the experts have to say.

3. sdebers Jul 5, 2017

The price seems in line with Bernand and Govberg watches, just the 2nd band being included saving a few 100.
    The idea of searching the Ref # ... edited ... I did some checking the number on the warranty card that is seen in the pic is the model number of this watch.
    Also the post has pics of the back of the watch and the movement I just didn't include them.

Edited Jul 5, 2017
  4. repoman Jul 5, 2017

Welcome to the forum. Can you give us some more information? What is your budget? What type of watch do you think your spouse would like? (brand, model, color, style, whatever). Are you interested in the watch retaining value, or is it just something to be worn and enjoyed. With more details, I'm sure many of us would be willing to steer you in safe directions. There is also a vibrant marketplace here on the forum, where you are likely going to find better examples at lower prices than dealing with retailers, or the uncertainties of buying from untrusted third parties. There are a lot of poor quality timepieces, and outright fakes, so be careful!

5. sdebers Jul 5, 2017

I appreciate the input :)
    I'm looking to be less than 4K with the idea that since buying used will likely want to have it serviced in the near future and would be great to have some of that $$ for the service. The Model I'm looking for Speedmaster Broad Arrow 321.10.44.50.01.001 or 321.13.44.50.01.001 He saw this at a store and really liked it, ideally having both bands at some point. This will be a worn watch, and resale is not currently a consideration. More likely to be gifted/willed to someone.

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 5, 2017

7. Electron17 Jul 5, 2017

Maybe include the picture of the movement of the watch, that will give a good idea if it is genuine or not.

8. sdebers Jul 5, 2017

:) Added

9. ras47 Jul 5, 2017

Foo2rama likes this.
  10. Electron17 Jul 5, 2017

I do not know this model but the rotor does look a bit suspicious. A bit too plain for an Omega. Looked at my Planet Ocean and that co-axial looks a lot more decorated. My overall impression is that this is a rep, if it can not be authenticated at on Omega dealer I would stay away. Just my 10 cents worth.

11. sdebers Jul 5, 2017

Thanks everybody, that makes me realize spend the extra few 100 for assurance its real :)

ras47 likes this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 5, 2017

It looks fine to me - the photos are very poorly lit and that is hiding much of the Côtes de Genève on the movement and on the dial. I would ask for photos with better/brighter lighting to be sure...