Forums Latest Members
  1. Omeoneganobi Apr 17, 2014

Greetings to all from BC, Canada. I've been lurking for a while now and thought it was about time to show my face - not sure I'll have to much to contribute yet, but hopefully over time that will change. I have been bitten by the watch bug and I can't seem to get rid of the infection that has ensued.

My entry into the Omega world was perhaps not in the best of ways, as it occurred when my father passed away a couple of years ago. Ever since I was a child (49 now !) I had admired the gold watch he always wore. Now, my Dad was never one for spending money, and when his Omega started to keep poor time he swapped it out for a quartz Seiko sometime in the late 70's or '80's which was much "better". Fortunately he had the foresight not to throw it away. Anyway, it ended up in my hands, was gaining 15 minutes per day and was looking very poorly.

This was when I made the first mistake - well before I found this forum - I took it to an Omega AD in the UK (where I am from originally) and they confidently said they could fix it. A few months later I returned to the UK to find they hadn't got a clue about an early 60's Seamaster, and the watch was in pieces, crown and stem apart from the watch, crystal off, bezel broken etc etc. A total wreck. It will have to go back to Omega and it will cost GBP 600 they said. Thanks for wrecking my watch I said.

At this point at least I didn't make a second mistake. I took it back to Canada where I managed to find a great watchmaker locally, Omega trained and with an Omega account everything was beautifully restored, a light polish and one highly satisfied customer. OK so since then I've discovered that "ooh shiny" seems to be a little bit frowned upon, but I for one don't mind a bit of shine as long as it hasn't ruined the overall look. In this case my watch has a little shine, a new bezel and crystal, and everything else is original. I believe it is a 600 calibre (or at least a 600 series - must remember to get some movement shots next time it gets opened up) - now fully serviced and keeping perfect time. I usually wear it at least twice a week for work, and although it is nothing special in Omega terms, it is a nice heirloom to have and talk about. Avatar_2.jpg IMG_0263_2.jpg IMG_0293.jpg

Since then have acquired a stainless Seamaster Auto of similar vintage (Cal 5XX), a Chronostop (never buy a watch without a movement shot (unless you happen to like a bit of rust) - but at least I didn't pay to much for it!), a nice 50's gold filled bumper and a Geneve from 1972 en-route. I also still have Dad's Seiko....which is actually the one I go to when I want to set the time for the others - it always keeps perfect time!) And I don't care what anyone else says - I don't mind Seikos at all - good workhorse and I still wear my Seiko collection - OK so I've got a few others too - for golf, gardening and hiking....got to save the Omegas for better occasions! I am feeling the need to add a Speedmaster to the collection next...and this appears to be a great place to acquire one, so I am real glad I found this forum.

Now I am going to try uploading a couple of photos...bear with me. Was playing with the macro lens so they aren't all that good - and a macro lens is not very forgiving I have discovered - it uncovers blemishes I can't see with the naked eye, or even a magnifying glass.

Thanks for listening !

Jimmy Jim and Tritium like this.
  2. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Apr 18, 2014

be carefull.......this is a dangerous site. innocent first posts can generate bank account damaging consequences......on the other hand: Congratulations ! you found the fountain of wisdom. kind regards from down under. achim

Jimmy Jim likes this.
  3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 18, 2014

Very true achim ;)