Forums Latest Members

Newbie experience - Omega Seamaster "Titane" relumed

1. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Nov 23, 2016

Hello All,

A while ago I described testing done on my Omega Seamaster Polaris “Titane”. Though I find the watch aesthetics really cool, and timekeeping performance superlative (a few seconds a year), I had not worn the watch until now. The reason for this is that I wanted to rejuvenate the lume on the watch. It had aged rather ungraciously and gave the watch a tired look. At first I thought of just reluming the hands, which is relatively easy to achieve, but a watchmaker recommended against that because the new lume on the hands would clash with the old lume on the dial. The lumed hour markers on the watch are “cabochon” type, that is, hemispheres. How does one make hemispheres of lume? So for several moons I contemplated reluming the watch fearing it would permanently damage the watch dial (and in the meantime purchased three other vintages watches…:eek:). This week I finally decided to take the plunge. :confused:

Here’s how I did it.

I decided to mold the hemispheres out of lume. I took close-up photographs of the original lume cabochon and determined they were 1 mm in diameter. To make the mold, I found 1 mm diameter ball bearings on ebay and I had a piece of teflon sheet. I put several of these ball bearings on the sheet and laid on each side of a 0.5 mm brass shim stock. I then pressed the ball bearings into the soft teflon sheet with a press. Because of the shims the ball bearings only went halfway into the teflon. Removing the ball bearings from the teflon I had nice 0.5 mm deep and 1 mm diameter indentations to mold the lume material. Being teflon, the lume material should be easy to demold. I mixed the lume material as described in the above mentioned video and prepared a dozen hemispheres using the Teflon mold I had done.

1 mm ball bearings
    Ball bearings.jpg

Teflon sheet with mold, filled mold and newly formed cabochon.
    Cabochon 3.jpg

Removing the original cabochon from the dial was relatively straightforward: all was needed was to pinch the cabochon with a pair of fine tweezers and gently twist back and forth in a circular motion to released them from the dial. To affix the newly created cabochons I simply used a tiny drop of binder liquid that came with the lume kit. This way I attached the 11 hemispheric hour markers on the dial.

Cabochon.jpg

Cabochon 2.jpg

Although not as perfect in shape as the original hours markers, I am very happy with the outcome. The dial looks a lot fresher with the new lume. One needs a good loupe to see the markers are homemade. The main issue I encountered came from the thin printed white ring around each cabochon that sometimes slightly ripped out when I removed the original cabochons.

Enjoy the pictures.

Michel

IMG_1454.JPG

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 23, 2016

Good result :thumbsup:.

Can't you apply cabochon lume dots just by painting or dropping the lume onto the dial?

Or doesn't surface tension hold the drop well enough and it seeps away.

3. wsfarrell Nov 23, 2016

Clever approach; nice work!

4. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Nov 23, 2016

Thanks for the nice comment.

I could had tried it that way but I thought the shape would be more consistent by molding. Less chance of messing up the dial.

5. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Nov 24, 2016

Excellent work and a nicely creative solution to making the lume dots :thumbsup:

In my limited experience of Polaris models, it would appear that the lume formulation seems to degrade to an inactive brown colour fairly often. My Titane auto certainly has! It went off for an STS service recently and I asked about reluming. Unfortunately, as it has "nipple" style lume dots, the most cost-effective solution was a complete dial replacement at around £400, so I just had the hands replaced.

Deafboy likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 24, 2016

That's the way it's normally done. The ratio of binder to lume can be played with to determine the slump (to use a concrete term)...

Deafboy likes this.
  7. tyrantlizardrex Nov 24, 2016

Looking good!

Much better on your wrist than mine. ;)

Deafboy likes this.
  8. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Nov 24, 2016

It's a small watch by today's standards. I removed two more links from the bracelet! I must have small wrists!

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  9. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Nov 24, 2016

By the way, a bit of thread drift on my part: it's interesting to note how watches perceived value changes over time. Here's a catalog listing of the said watch and its price, compared to a Speedmaster of the same catalog. Prices in Deutsche Marks.

Titane brochure.png
    price2.jpg
    Titane brochure2.jpg
    Price 1.jpg

micampe and Mouse_at_Large like this.
  10. rightrower Nov 24, 2016

Really neat diy. I certainly would not be do such a nice job.

Sent from Note 4 using tapatalk

Deafboy likes this.