Forums Latest Members

Newbie Asking A Question Which I Guess Has Been Asked Before..

1. Watch&Seek Mar 10, 2013

Newbie asking a question which I guess has been asked before.. Just join but have looked through the thread and my head is just spinning so hence why I decided to ask? I have way to many watches for my own good, some new and some not new, but watches need repairs and batteries etc doing. Now I have used a in-time booth for battery changes and like but to be honest our local guy ain't a lot of help on more technical stuff, he don't seem really interested.

I have two problems on two different makes of watch but in there way connected which will come clear if you read on. I have a old and probably past it's best damaged Omega cal 269, runs ok but needs a service, new crown and case refurb, new glass as well as a dial restore, it has cost me £90 so far just buying it etc. So wonder whether to just buy a better example or not. I also have a Longines Flagship, crown can fall off and the stem will not work the fingers.

So how do you find a good reliable affordable repair and service place? I hope to have it all done and if possible then sell it on, working towards buying better examples of watches I like, as funds no longer allow me to just buy out of pocket. I know no other watch people to ask. I have looked around and sent out a few enquires but a odd few seem interested and some just seem to fire out a standard reply.

I am in the UK and wondering about using this site http://www.watchdoctors.co.uk/price-guide/ anybody used them or know people who use them, what is their work like and how reliable?

Thinking of sending my Longines first to see how it goes before committing to send the Omega Cal 269

Cheers in advance for any help..

2. Jpilks Mar 10, 2013

Being from the UK, I was recommended Steve Burrage from Ryte TIme. A quick google search will show you that he can be trusted. A useful tip I learnt from here: Make sure you explicitly specify what you want done both verbally and on a piece of paper attached with the watch. For example, if you don't want the case polished, then say so.

3. ulackfocus Mar 10, 2013

Watches need repairs. Computer chips that are programmed to tell time need batteries. Horology vs. technology.