Forums Latest Members

Newbie Amateur Watchlover Says Hello To All

1. ducnalf Feb 11, 2013

Guess what came in the Mail today?
    Post.jpg

Got this pocket watch for "pocket money".
    Face.jpg

The missing glass and the dirt was expected "and included in the price", but it runs strong.

So much for the deal. Now, what is it exactly? I am an Omega - Fan and know the history a bit.
    Louis Brandt & frere, the son(s) of Louis ... later OMEGA ...

Calibre.jpg

What caliber is this ... to me it seems pre Omega time ... but i´m not a pro.

Bottom inside.jpg

It is absolutely beautiful, i am touched.

Top iside.jpg

I would really appreciate all the help, knowhow, and ideas to get this watch to the state it deserves.
    Maybe just cleaning, oiling and replacing the glass could be enough ... or should it be "rebuild"?
    All your input would be greatly appreciated.
    A happy Duc'n Alf wishes you a good OMEGA time ... and thank you already for your help and input.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 11, 2013

Interesting... so that's a pre-Omega pocket watch? I wonder if the Omega archive even has info on something like that

3. ducnalf Feb 11, 2013

4. ducnalf Feb 13, 2013

Good evening,

I just got more detail here:
    The movement serial number is : 1661047
    It is an ancre movement most likely between 1890 and 1902 like "hinted" on the back.
    Now he produced "Celtic-Gurzelen-Helvetia-Jura-Patria-Labrador". I know it is not a Labrador. What is it ?????
    I am planning to get it cleaned and "a" glass installed.
    Then I will visit Mr. ???? (Can´t remember his Name, please help me ... from the museum in Bienne) and try to solve the mystery.
    Have a nice day .... Duc´n Alf

Movment front.jpg

ancre.jpg

Inner back.jpg

5. rolexfantastic Jun 26, 2013

I was looking at your hunter. Did you try your luck with Omega ?
    I hope you will not find my message disappointing, neither pure reality, but i believe there's something wrong with your watch.
    The case serial number and hallmarks are for a watch manufactured in the vicinity of 1917-1920.
    The 84 / .875 hallmarks stand for Russian Empire silver quality; while the rampant bear hallmark stands for Swiss silver manufacture.
    Now, the 1917, was the last year of Russian Empire, as it fall after the 1917 Russian Revolution, which led... briefly, to Soviet Union. Though, the hallmarks remained through 1930's, so it's not the best year indicator, but the movement serial does not give me piece of mind.
    Is simply a huge gap between the case and movement serials. At first the difference was in the vicinity of 100.000, and it is known that Omega / Louis Brandt / LB & Frere, made ebauches for others. So let's say that in those early years, if the movement would have been in the 1.5 mill. range, the case, should be in the 1.6 mill range.
    Another indicator could be the name at 6 position, above the sub seconds dial. My guess is that is the import name for the Russian market, and most likely is a Swiss name too; and it might ease the work in finding out the year of manufacture or retail.
    The problem remains the year. The movement looks cca.1890's. The case says 1910's - 1920's.
    In 1894 they've developed their 19" cal., which would remain a standard for the movements they will sell after that year. So i see no point Omega / Louis Brandt would use other movements, unless of course in stock.
    My guess so far: It is either an early 1890's with a wrong case but with a correct movement cover, or it's a fake.

/F

ducnalf likes this.
  6. ducnalf Oct 29, 2013

7. ducnalf Oct 29, 2013

Good evening, sorry for the long wait ...
    Today I received the Omega archive document of this watch.
    Now we can all learn something. Omega numbers must be dialed with carefully.
    Like to some of us and also I, this watch was a big question mark?
    It looked all original and untouched to me when I got it. So I went after my feeling and
    got the movement cleaned, oiled and adjusted by an reputable Pro. He had this watch all in single
    pieces and each part (all original) look perfect. I pushed the case back in its original shape
    and was lucky to find an perfect fitting glass. With the polishing I was very light and careful.
    The watch looks like new and also performs perfect. ---I AM SOOOOO HAPPY------

In the meantime I found 2 "Patria´s" ... They are based on an early plate movement instead of bridges.

docu.jpg face.jpg movment.jpg front.jpg back.jpg

Patrick Dixon likes this.
  8. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 30, 2013

Thats cool!! I've always thought about pocket watches to sink some money in to them, but i just don't know much about them.

Welcome to the forum!