Forums Latest Members

Newbie advice - Seamaster Pro 300 Midsize Auto

1. brandon640 Nov 4, 2018

Hello guys,

I'm planning to get my mum a blue wave dial Seamaster (ref. 2551.80) for her upcoming birthday.

Was just wondering if there's anything a beginner like me should look out for? Really don't want to get burned as I'm planning to buy this online.

Hope to get some good advice from you guys :)

2. tzachi Nov 4, 2018

The 300M Mid-Size SeaMaster Chronometer was in production from 1993 until 2004. you're buying a ~15 years old watch.
    Mom needs a reliable watch.
    2 points to remember:
    1. look for the overall condition, look for a non polished watch etc
    2. you must send it for a service to start with 0 on the clock and water seal.
    unless watch comes with fully documented, printed Omega service receipt, I would any seller quoting that "my watchmaker serviced it" with many grains of salt....
    take all into pricing consideration.

good luck

brandon640 likes this.
  3. brandon640 Nov 4, 2018

Non polished watch - that's tricky right? I'm so used to looking at simple Rolex Oyster cases, but SMP 300s are a different story...there's just so many grooves on it...any tips on that?

Is it just me or does the bezel look off on this piece?
    https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Om...1-80-Blue-Wave-Automatic-36mm-Watch/652896222

4. tzachi Nov 4, 2018

Forget the bezel, it’s the wording used I’d keep searching. Better search from private seller at few hundreds and service by you..

5. brandon640 Nov 5, 2018

Thank you, the midsize are a tad hard to find in private sales. Might just get one from Japanese sellers on ebay