Forums Latest Members
  1. 1SG Apr 7, 2016

Greetings all. I'm new to Omegas so would be very grateful for your opinions and advice. Dial is unmarked except for "Omega Automatic". Case is marked 26535 7sc and has 351 movement. Serial number suggests manufacture circa 1952. It keeps good time while I'm wearing it but stops approx 2 hours after I take it off. I suspect it needs an overhaul. So, my questions: 1. What does the case marking indicate? 2. Does this particular what have a model name? 3. Is this the original, unretouched dial and hands? 4. Is the unmarked crown a replacement? 5. What are your opinions regarding value in its present condition? 6. I'm considering having it both overhauled and restored; would the latter adversely affect value? Would it be wise given its currently value? Obviously I don't want to put more money into it than it's worth. I apologize for the multiple questions but this is my first Omega and I'm not sure which way to go. Many thanks for your comments...

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. fjf Apr 8, 2016

The dial looks like a bad redial...

chronos likes this.
  3. TNTwatch Apr 8, 2016

2635 is the model number. It's a Seamaster, but sometimes it says so on the dial, sometimes not. The dial is not original but has been refinished rather un-nicely and therefore not much is left in collection value. It's value is now in the case and the movement for parts, or if you want to wear it like it is or not. If you want to restore, the only proper way is to look for an original/correct dial to replace the current one. Otherwise get the movement serviced and the hands cleaned up a bit, but spend wisely since this is not a high value watch.

chronos likes this.
  4. DON Apr 8, 2016

How much you put in depends on how much you like it.

It may stop due to having the original mainspring or your not moving around to wind it enough. Bumpers only wind in one direction. Unlike full rotors which run in both. If you sit at a desk all day. It's not going to wind much. Few times during the day. Just shift your wrist back and forth (you'll feel the bumping) to wind the watch.

Unless a dial is 8 - 10/10. I got more more money for a refinish than an original dial for standard models such as yours, so it does have collector value if you want to put some money into it.

You don't say what you paid, but too much may be a deterrent against adding further to it.

Cost for parts +/- you may need. Price the watchmaker will pay

Crown - $25.00?

Crystal - generic - $10.00 - Signed - $30/$35

Hands - $33.00 for hour/minute and $33.00 for sweep

Redial - $60.00

Cleaning - $125 - $150 (no parts required)

Can look for a used dial. Make sure the diameter is the same to fit the case.

Least expensive option is new crown and cleaning. Leave the rest as is.

Only time a movement would be for parts is if the case is beat the crap and not repairable. Your movement and case is in very nice condition and if cost was low enough. Paying the extra to clean up is worth it.

DON

5. 1SG Apr 8, 2016

Thank you all for the replies. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced source for parts? I'm considering replacing the dial and crystal as a minimum. Same question for a watch service. I'm in Arizona but don't mind shipping out of state. A Google search reveals several potential service providers with prices ranging from supiciously low to more than what I paid for the watch. Appreciate your recommendations. Thanks again...

6. DON Apr 8, 2016

Need to know your location to recommend a parts supplier, but they don't sell dials. Need to find someone that has (Ebay), but as mentioned. You need to know the diameter of your current dial.

Also need to make sure your not buying another redialed dial. Based on your hands. Minute markers need to be on the inside

DON

7. 1SG Apr 8, 2016

I'm in Arizona USA. Can you tell the diameter of my dial from the pictures? I assume they are standard size based on movement (351). Thanks...

8. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 8, 2016

9. DON Apr 8, 2016

Movement and dial need to be removed to get a proper diameter. Even a small incorrect guess means the difference between fitting and not.

DON