Forums Latest Members
  1. tcsasser Dec 20, 2014

Hello All,

Been lurking around this really informative community for some time before I decided to join. Many thanks in advance for your time in helping out someone just bitten by the vintage Omega bug.

I've been bitten by the vintage bug, and after reading the sticky "Condition, Condition, Condition and other pieces of advice", I wanted to submit an example of a 176.007 for review by eyes much more seasoned than my own.

[​IMG]

(red circles below which show some discoloration on the tach?)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(red circles identify potential wear on the rotor?, yellow circles show dirt/debris or dried lube?)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Shows what's left of the Hippocampus)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Case appears to be in good condition with some minor dings and scuffs, but still retains most of it's original character. Based on the caseback, it's no stranger to polishing though the engraving on these casebacks is rather shallow. Hands and dial appear untouched and original though there appears to be some slight discoloration on the tach ring near 12 (circled in red on 2nd picture). Movement, to my untrained eye, looks ok. I'm concerned about some marks on the rotor (circled in red on picture number 4) which may indicate that it's been rubbing against the caseback (and may explain some of the debris circled in yellow on picture number 4). Bracelet is original and comes with end links, though it's well used.

Any opinions on this watch and its condition and purchase value and worthiness would be appreciated. Thanks very much!

Best regards,
    TCSasser

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 20, 2014

As you have pointed out, there are some minor issues with the watch. Nothing that a competent watchmaker can't handle, but you'll certainly have to throw a few dollars at the project.

I noticed that there is no inner O-ring. That may be the cause for some of the spotting that you see. Moisture has gotten in directly, or through condensation (from rapid changes in temperature) and left traces of impurities when it evaporated. At least we hope that's all that was left behind.

My feeling is that if the price is $1K or less, you'll be OK. It's going to take $300 to $500 for a complete movement service to clean up the problems you see and possibly some you can't. You have to discount the price to cover that.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. Sherbie Dec 20, 2014

there was a very similar thread on here last week called
    VINTAGE OMEGA WATCHES HELP, DISCUSSION AND ADVICE
    Seamaster 176.001 or 176.007 Dial Info Reqd

that you should also take a look at (its on page 2 now) - yours is one of the 4 dial styles regularly seen on these ( find Dogens threat on watchuseek, if you want to compare this with NOS example)

in my opinion the watch you posted is a honest 7/10 example - i can live with the dial staining spots, the case has been refinished at some stage and is Presentable, the case back has wear as you noticed, but more than anything, i think it just needs a bloody good service (do you know if it actually works, as the chrono hand is not set back to 12 o'c? and the movement is dirty etc)

its the sort of watch i would have bought 3 yrs ago, but if you are looking to follow the condition x 3 mantra, it does not qualify.

as a daily wearer, it would be superb after a service

as for prices, in the UK, it would sell for £600 - 1000, USA i,d hope to get it for $700 - 1200

best of luck , others with more knowledge will hopefully chime in later

cheers, Paul

edit - ps - welcome to the forum by the way. hope you stick around and join us

Edited Dec 20, 2014
  4. Sherbie Dec 20, 2014

This is what the watch case should look like if nos ( photo from dogens thread)

image.jpg

5. tcsasser Dec 20, 2014

GATORCPA and Sherbie, thanks to you both for your replies. Very informative. I just spent the last 30 minutes looking over Dogen's Omega and Heuer collections. Wow...just redefined my standards.

Best,
    TCS

Fox143 likes this.
  6. Sherbie Dec 20, 2014

Indeed, it just underlines the advice in the condition, condition, condition sticky thread

In "your" example, notice the shape of the case - in the nos example, it has distinct curve, whilst yours has a more rounded outline shape

Let us all know if you still go for this one, but you now have at least 3 bargaining points to negotiate a better price ( case re polished, movement needs a service, and dial has staining ( from possible water damage)

7. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Dec 20, 2014

IF you are looking for an investment grade piece, then the watch you posted is not it. However, if you are looking for a watch you can wear and enjoy, then I would say it fits the bill. The crystal on these comes with an integrated tach and is still available. You can figure on a full service and crystal replacement and factor that into your budget. Regarding price - I think it will be hard to find a watch in similar condition below 1,000$