Forums Latest Members

new Zenith hour hands and power reserve not aligned,Your opinion please

1. jjjan Sep 18, 2015

Hi Sorry for my english, first of all.my first zenith .
    i bought it from amazon a week ago n i got it very good price.
    2 years amazon asurion warranty
    no warranty card come with.
    I have a question about my zenith el primero
    i checked the time accurate and the power around 50 hours ,i found out two problem.
    a. The hour hands are not aligned.
    b. also i think the power reserve hand are not aligned because the watch stop when the power reserve hand point at 8(red)

1:should i send it to amazon asurion to fix the watch?

2:eek:r i go to AD to send the watch to zenith service center to fix ?(yes i know i have to pay)

3:any idea how much does AD or zenith watches service center charge for alignment ?

4: also after the 2 year amazon warranty period, can I still take my watch to authorized dealer and would they still agree to fix it? (at a higher price, of course)

5:should i just return it?

the last two photo is power reserve hand are not aligned (the watch stop when the power reserve hand point at 8(red))

your opinion would be much appreciated

jan

20150909_144234.jpg 20150909_144412.jpg 20150909_144446.jpg 20150909_144515.jpg 20150909_144542.jpg IMG_20150915_022407.jpg IMG_20150915_022456.jpg
    Edited Sep 18, 2015
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 18, 2015

The mis-aligned hands are sad to see. If they came from the factory that way, it was a quality control miss for sure. I don't know if the power reserve indicator runs all the way down or not. I expect it may not, and in any event will not be super accurate as the reserve will be somewhat variable on each individual watch - but should be a minimum of 50 hours.

You will pay a lot to send it to Zenith, so if you want it fixed under warranty, back to the seller it must go. With two strikes on a brand new watch, no OEM warranty... I personally would be inclined to return it for a refund.

3. jjjan Sep 18, 2015

thank you for reply

any idea how much does AD or zenith watches service center charge for alignment ?
    also after the 2 year amazon warranty period, can I still take my watch to authorized dealer and would they still agree to fix it? (at a higher price, of course)
    thank a lot

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 18, 2015

There is no way of knowing how your watch found its way into the grey market and this isn't the first time that I have seen complaints about Amazon sourced Zeniths.

The fact is that you have no recourse to Zenith as it was not purchased through the authorised dealer network. You do, of course, recognise this fact so what are your options?

You could return it to Zenith and you will have to pay them for this or you could take it to any watchmaker to correct the fault. I doubt if Zenith would offer any sort of warranty on the "repair", without performing a complete service, as it is a grey market watch. The independent watchmaker would be the cheaper option and it is an easy fix - after all, it won't invalidate a Zenith warranty as there is no such warranty with thisr watch.

The only cost-free option would be to return it to the seller but you have to ask yourself how the situation arose in the first instance. I would suggest that it didn't leave the manufacture in that state, as the QA processes would not allow it to happen. My suggestion is that it is not a brand new watch and that some "intervention" has already been performed on the watch. I believe that this is how the situation has come about.

Unless you want to be without the watch for some time, I would take it to a local watchmaker and pay him for an hour's labour to put it right.

Darlinboy likes this.
  5. jjjan Sep 18, 2015

thank you for reply

any idea how much local watchmaker charge for alignment ?
    also do you think after i fixed alignment then the other problems come up?sorry i m noob
    thank a lot

6. redpcar Sep 18, 2015

It will take much less than an hour to do. Let us know what part of the world you are in and I'm sure someone will have a recommendation. Very easy fix by a qualified person. Please don't take it to a generic jewelry store or "quick watch" mall kiosk.

7. jjjan Sep 18, 2015

thank you for reply
    i live in new york city ,any recommendation?
    thank you very much

8. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 19, 2015

This is a not a great way to start with a "new" watch. IMO you should think twice and thrice before keeping it. As Stewart observed, this is an unlikely factory defect and perhaps a clue that the watch has been worked on since leaving the factory.

No way to be sure, but it would be enough for me to return it and move on.

9. excuseme Sep 19, 2015

Central Watch in Grand Central has a good recommendation

But I agree with the other posters, returning might be the best option.

10. jjjan Sep 19, 2015

thank you for reply
    hmm..i know returning might be the best option but the price of this watch is too good ,still have 7 day to decided keep or return it
    thank a lot

11. jjjan Sep 19, 2015

thank you for reply
    hmm..i know returning might be the best option but the price of this watch is too good ,still have 7 day to decided keep or return it
    i will going central watch next week.
    thank you very much